— In-game description [?]
Stealing is a mechanic unique to the thief profession. By using the steal skill (bound to F1 key), the character will shadow step to the enemy and steal an item from them. Stealing has no activation time and may be performed during other actions without interrupting the action, and can even be used while disabled. After an item has been stolen, it will be "pocketed" and replace your steal skill until used. Steal begins to recharge immediately in the background while the stolen skill is occupying its slot, so Steal will be available right away if it has recharged by the time the stolen skill is used.
Each enemy in the game has a small pool of possible items to steal. For example, a character may steal an egg from a moa and use it as a healing item, or steal feathers from it and use them to blind enemies and stealth themselves. In PvP the stolen items are profession-specific, for example the thief can get a Whirling Axe from a warrior. Players don't lose items stolen from them, the thief just gains access to the associated stolen skill.
Most items that can be stolen can be found as environmental weapons, and usually function in the same way. These ground items can interfere with stolen items, especially if the stolen item and the ground item are the same. Usually, the stolen skill will be lost if the environmental weapon is used, and vice versa.
Benefits from and recharge of stealing don't require the steal to be successful. Using Steal without a target in range will disable the skill for the full recharge time and award any associated bonuses for stealing. Similarly, using Steal on inanimate objects will incur the full recharge time without awarding an item, but the bonuses will be activated, and the Mug trait will damage the target.
 Stolen skills
|Blinding Tuft||Throw a handful of hair, vanishing in stealth and blinding nearby foes.|
|Bone Crack||Stun your foe|
|Branch Bash||Launch your foe, breaking the branch|
|Club Shockwave||Smash the club on the ground, knocking down foes in a line in front of you.|
|Consume Plasma||Gain all boons.|
|Drink||You become invulnerable.|
|Eat Egg||Restore health and initiative.|
|Exploding Venom Sack||Cover the target area in a poisonous cloud.|
|Healing Seed||Grants regeneration and removes conditions from yourself and nearby allies.|
|Ice Shard Stab||Stab and chill your foe.|
|Mace Head Crack||Daze your foe.|
|Rusty Scrap Strike||Bleed, poison, and weaken your foe with a strike from your rusty scrap.|
|Shoot Rifle||Shoot your foe, launching them back and making them vulnerable while pushing yourself back.|
|Skull Fear||Strike fear into nearby foes.|
|Throw Coral Shard||Throw a coral shard at a foe to cause bleeding and vulnerability.|
|Throw Feathers||Throw a handful of feathers to blind nearby foes. Stealth yourself.|
|Throw Gear||Throw the gear at your foe, stunning them.|
|Throw Gunk||Throw gunk at target area to inflict a random condition. Creates an ethereal combo field.|
|Throw Lava Rock||Throw a lava rock that burns your foe.|
|Throw Net||Immobilize foes by throwing your net.|
|Throw Rock||Throw a rock to knock down your foe.|
|Throw Scale||Throw the scale to Bleed and Poison your foe.|
|Tooth Stab||Stab and bleed your foe.|
|Use Scepter||Use the scepter attack with a random effect.50% chance to stun your target with a Lightning Whip. 50% chance to burn the area around you with an unblockable Flame Burst.|
|Use Staff||Use the staff to create random attacks.50% chance to damage and stun foes with a Chain Lightning that strikes up to three foes.50% chance to damage and burn a single foe with a Fireball.|
|Whirling Axe||Spin and attack nearby foes. You can move while spinning.|
- Serpent's Touch - Stealing inflicts poison.
- Improvisation - Stealing recharges all skills of one type (venoms, signets, traps, tricks, or deceptions). Deal bonus damage when wielding a bundle.
- Mug - Deal damage and gain life when stealing. This attack cannot critically hit enemies.
- Each point in Trickery increases the recharge rate of stealing by 1%.
- Kleptomaniac - Stealing gives you initiative.
- Bountiful Theft - Stealing grants you and all nearby allies vigor. You rip boons from your target and grant them to nearby allies.
- Long Reach - Increases the range on stealing.
- Sleight of Hand - Stealing also dazes the target. Reduces the recharge of Steal.
- Thrill of the Crime - When you steal, you and all nearby allies gain fury, might, and swiftness for 10 seconds.
- At one point during early development, stealing would force an environmental weapon in the character's hands. This was accompanied by a trait which allowed the thief to "pocket" the stolen item, which later evolved into the stealing system as it functions today.