A Sigil is an upgrade component for weapons, using the same upgrade slot that can also be filled with a jewel or a crest; applying any upgrade causes the item to become account bound. Like other upgrade components, you may replace one sigil with another or try to recover the original by using a salvage kit. Sigils can be crafted by artificers, huntsmen, or weaponsmiths.
 Sigil level
Each sigil has a level requirement, which refers to the minimum level of weapon to which it can be applied; it is not directly related to character level.
- Minor — Any level weapon
- Major — Level 39
- Superior — Level 60
 Types of sigils
Sigils can be divided into different types based on how they provide their benefits. Some sigil benefits stack or synergize with each other, but in some cases they do not, especially if they have a cooldown.
- Static bonus sigils
- Damage bonus — increase direct damage to all foes.
- Damage bonus versus specific foes — increase direct damage to a specific type of enemy.
- Condition duration bonus — increase the duration of a specific condition.
- The bonus is available as long as the weapon is equipped.
- On-kill bonus sigils
- On-kill effect — applies a beneficial effect each time you kill a foe.
- Stacking on-kill stat bonus — gain a bonus to an attribute each time you kill a foe. The bonus stacks with itself up to 25 times.
- Delayed on-kill effect — gain an effect every 26 kills. The sigil charges up with every kill, until the 26th when the effect is triggered.
- Participating in killing the foe also counts.
- Cooldown sigils
- On-critical-hit — get a chance to gain an effect with each critical hit.
- On weapon swap — triggers an effect when swapping weapons, changing attunement, or swapping Tool Kits.
 Sigils with cooldowns
All sigils that have a cooldown share the same cooldown timer; while the timer is active, no other sigil with a cooldown can trigger. For example, if you are using a Sigil of Fire (flame burst on critical) and a Sigil of Battle (might stacks on swap), you will have to wait after swapping weapons (Sigil of Battle activated) before the flame burst can trigger on critical.
- Cooldown Sigils will enter cooldown even if they have no actual effect. For example, a Sigil of Purity will trigger and enter the 10s cooldown even when the wearer has no conditions.
- All things equal, the mainhand cooldown sigil will trigger before the offhand cooldown sigil.
 Static bonus sigils
- Static bonuses do not stack with themselves when used on dual-wielded weapons. Two weapons, each with a Superior Sigil of Force, will yield only a +5% bonus to damage.
 On-kill sigils
- On-kill stacking attribute bonuses remain even after you swap or unequip weapons; the stacks only end on being downed or defeated, by traveling to another zone or entering an instance.
- If you have an "on-kill sigil" on both main-hand and off-hand weapons, only the sigil on the main-hand weapon will trigger.
- Two different on-kill stacking sigils will not provide bonuses to two different attributes. Whichever sigil triggered the first time will continue to add to its stack. (i.e. you can only have one "on kill" stacking effect active at a time). However, if you have the same on-kill stacking sigil on both main- and off-hand weapons, stacks will accumulate twice as quickly. The 25 stack limit still applies.
- The same limitation applies to mixing Stacking on-kill sigils and Delayed on-kill sigils. Only one effect will be present.
- In sPvP, stacking and delayed sigils gain five charges per kill, i.e. they require only five player kills to reach the maximum of 25 charges.
 On-critical sigils
Sigils that trigger on critical hits will trigger on any critical hit dealt by the player, including those from utility skills and toolbelt skills. However, they do not trigger on criticals from mesmer illusions or engineer turrets.
 On Weapon Swap
Sigils that trigger on weapon swap are not activated by dropping a bundle, such as rocks. Engineer and Elementalists do not have alternate weapon slots, but these sigils will trigger on switching elemental attunements or weapon kits in combat.
 List of sigils, by type
|Damage bonus||Sigil of Accuracy||+ 1% / 3% / 5% critical chance.|
|Sigil of Force||+ 1% / 3% / 5% damage.|
|Sigil of the Night||+ 5% / 7% / 10% damage at night.|
| Damage bonus
versus specific foes
|Sigil of Centaur Slaying||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Centaurs.|
|Sigil of Destroyer Slayer||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Destroyers.|
| Sigil of Demon Slaying
Sigil of Elemental Slaying
|+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Elementals.|
|Sigil of Dreams||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Nightmare Court.|
|Sigil of Ghost Slaying||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Ghosts.|
|Sigil of Grawl Slaying||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Grawl.|
|Sigil of Icebrood Slaying||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Icebrood.|
|Sigil of Impact||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs stunned or knocked down foes.|
|Sigil of Justice||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Bandits.|
|Sigil of Karka Slaying||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Karka.|
|Sigil of Ogre Slaying||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Ogres.|
|Sigil of Seeking||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Inquest.|
|Sigil of Serpent Slaying||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Krait.|
|Sigil of Smothering||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Flame Legion.|
|Sigil of Sorrow||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Dredge. (The game's tooltip incorrectly shows "Nightmare Court" for the minor and major versions)|
|Sigil of Undead Slaying||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Undead.|
|Sigil of Wrath||+ 3% / 5% / 10% damage vs Sons of Svanir.|
|Condition duration bonus||Sigil of Agony||When you apply bleed it lasts 5% / 7% / 10% longer.|
|Sigil of Chilling||When you apply chill it lasts 5% / 10% / 20% longer.|
|Sigil of Debility||When you apply weakness it lasts 5% / 7% / 10% longer.|
|Sigil of Hobbling||When you apply cripple it lasts 5% / 7% / 10% longer.|
|Sigil of Paralyzation||When you apply stun it lasts 5% / 10% / 15% longer.|
|Sigil of Peril||When you apply vulnerability it lasts 5% / 7% / 10% longer.|
|Sigil of Smoldering||When you apply burning it lasts 5% / 7% / 10% longer.|
|Sigil of Venom||When you apply poison it lasts 5% / 7% / 10% longer.|
|On-kill effect||Sigil of Restoration||You are healed each time you kill a foe.|
|Sigil of Speed||You gain Swiftness for 5 / 7 / 10 seconds each time you kill a foe.|
|Sigil of Stamina||Your endurance is refilled each time you kill a foe.|
|Stacking on-kill effect||Sigil of Bloodlust||You gain + 5 / 7 / 10 power each time you kill a foe. (max 25 stacks and ends on down)|
|Sigil of Corruption||You gain + 5 / 7 / 10 condition damage each time you kill a foe. (max 25 stacks and ends on down)|
|Sigil of Life||You gain + 7 / 10 healing each time you kill a foe. (max 25 stacks and ends on down)|
|Sigil of Luck||You gain + 0.2% / 0.4% / 0.6% magic find each time you kill a foe. (max 25 stacks and ends on down)|
|Sigil of Perception||You gain + 7 / 10 precision each time you kill a foe. (max 25 stacks and ends on down)|
|Delayed on-kill effect||Sigil of Conjuration||Gain a charge when you kill a foe. At 26 charges, you are invulnerable for 3 / 4 / 5 seconds. (You lose all stacks on down)|
|Sigil of Sanctuary||Gain a charge when you kill a foe. At 26 charges, you are invulnerable for 3 / 4 / 5 seconds. (You lose all stacks on down)|
| Superior Sigil of
| Gain a summoning charge whenever you kill a foe. At 26 charges you summon a fleshreaver for 60 seconds.|
(You lose all charges on down)
|On-critical-hit||Sigil of Air||5 sec||10% / 20% / 30% chance to cause a lightning strike on a critical hit.|
|Sigil of Blood||5 sec1||10% / 20% / 30% chance to life steal on critical.|
|Sigil of Earth||2 sec||30% / 45% / 60% chance to do a 3 / 4 / 5 seconds bleed on critical hit.|
|Sigil of Fire||5 sec||10% / 20% / 30% chance to cause flame blast on critical hit causing AoE damage.|
|Sigil of Frailty||2 sec1||10% / 20% / 30% chance to cause vulnerability for 10 seconds on critical hit.|
|Sigil of Generosity||10 sec||20% / 40% / 60% chance to transfer a condition to your foe on critical hit|
|Sigil of Ice||10 sec||10% / 20% / 30% chance to cause a 1 / 1 / 2 seconds chill on a critical hit.|
|Sigil of Strength||2 sec1||10% / 20% / 30% chance to apply might for 5 / 7 / 10 seconds on critical.|
|Superior Sigil of Purity||10 sec||60% chance to remove a condition on critical.|
|Superior Sigil of Nullification||10 sec||60% chance to remove a boon on critical.|
|Superior Sigil of Rage||45 sec||10% chance to gain quickness for 1 / 2 / 3 seconds on a critical hit.|
|Sigil of Water||10 sec||10% / 20% / 30% chance to Heal nearby allies on critical hit.|
|On weapon swap||Sigil of Battle||9 sec||You gain 2 / 3 stacks of might for 20 seconds when you swap to this weapon while in combat.|
|Sigil of Doom||9 sec||You deal poison on your next attack for 3 / 4 / 5 seconds after you swap to this weapon while in combat.|
|Sigil of Energy||9 sec||You gain 10% / 25% / 50% of your endurance when you swap to this weapon while in combat.|
|Sigil of Geomancy||9 sec||You bleed nearby foes for 3 / 5 / 7 seconds when you swap to this weapon while in combat.|
|Sigil of Hydromancy||9 sec||You damage nearby foes and chill them for 1 / 2 / 3 seconds when you swap to this weapon while in combat.|
|Superior Sigil of Intelligence||9 sec||Your next attack after swapping to this weapon while in combat has a 100% chance to critical.|
|Sigil of Leeching||9 sec||Your next attack after swapping to this weapon while in combat steals some health.|
- 1 These values are the results of player tests; a few in-game descriptions are inaccurate.
- Sigil effects are not restricted to the respective weapon's skills. For example, a Sigil of Force on an off hand weapon will also increase the damage of mainhand skills or utility skills.
- Sigils continue to function while holding a bundle, such as engineer kits. In several cases, both equipping and dropping them in combat also counts as a weapon swap.