A sigil is a type of upgrade component used in weapons. Like all upgrade components, attaching a sigil to a weapon of masterwork, rare, or exotic rarity will make that weapon soulbound; fine or basic weapons will become account bound. You can replace a sigil with a new one or attempt to recover it by salvaging the item.
There are three tiers of sigils, Minor, Major, and Superior, each with its own minimum level requirement.
- Minor sigils have no minimum level.
- Major sigils require a level 39 weapon or above.
- Superior sigils require a level 60 weapon or above.
- Many sigils can be recovered from weapons by salvaging them; only Black Lion Salvage Kits are guaranteed to produce the sigil.
- You can combine four sigils of the same tier in the Mystic Forge, with an 80% chance of receiving a random sigil from the same tier and a 20% chance of it being the next higher tier. While all minor and major sigils can be combined this way, the forge only returns a subset of those sigils.
- Almost all sigils can be purchased on the Trading Post.
- Some sigils are available from the dungeon Armor and Weapons Merchant in Fort Marriner; specifically:
- Sigils of Ghost Slaying in exchange for Ascalonian Tears
- Sigils of Justice for Seals of Beetletun
- Sigils of Dreams for Deadly Blooms
- Sigils of Sorrow for Manifestos of the Moletariate
- Sigils of Smothering for Flame Legion Charr Carvings
- Sigils of Wrath for Symbols of Koda
- Sigils of Mad Scientists for Knowledge Crystals
- Sigils of Undead Slaying for Shards of Zhaitan
- Certain sigils can be crafted by artificers, huntsmen, or weaponsmiths. Most of these can be learned through discovery, but several require obtaining the relevant recipe.
|Sigil Type||Levels Available||Crafting Profession||Discoverable?|
|Elemental Slaying||Minor, Major, Superior||Artificer||Yes|
|Frailty||Minor, Major, Superior||Artificer||Yes|
|Impact||Minor, Major, Superior||Artificer||Yes|
|Luck||Minor, Major, Superior||Artificer||Yes|
|Malice||Minor, Major, Superior||Artificer||No (requires recipe)|
|Bursting||Minor, Major, Superior||Huntsman||No (requires recipe)|
|Celerity||Minor, Major, Superior||Huntsman||Yes|
|Icebrood Slaying||Minor, Major, Superior||Huntsman||Yes|
|Paralyzation||Minor, Major, Superior||Huntsman||Yes|
|Speed||Minor, Major, Superior||Huntsman||Yes|
|Benevolence||Minor, Major, Superior||Weaponsmith||Yes|
|Destroyer Slaying||Minor, Major, Superior||Weaponsmith||Yes|
|Doom||Minor, Major, Superior||Weaponsmith||Yes|
|Renewal||Minor, Major, Superior||Weaponsmith||No (requires recipe)|
|Strength||Minor, Major, Superior||Weaponsmith||Yes|
|Blight||Superior only||Artificer, Huntsman, Weaponsmith||No (requires recipe)|
|Cleansing||Superior only||Artificer, Huntsman, Weaponsmith||No (requires recipe)|
|Cruelty||Superior only||Artificer, Huntsman, Weaponsmith||No (requires recipe)|
|Incapacitation||Superior Only||Artificer, Huntsman, Weaponsmith||No (requires recipe)|
|of the Night||Minor, Major, Superior||Artificer, Huntsman, Weaponsmith||No (requires recipe)|
|Momentum||Superior Only||Artificer, Huntsman, Weaponsmith||No (requires recipe)|
|Torment||Superior Only||Artificer, Huntsman, Weaponsmith||No (requires recipe)|
A character can always equip two sigils at a time (either one sigil each on a main-hand and off-hand weapon, or two sigils on a two-handed weapon). In general, the two sigils will both provide their effects independently as long as the base sigil is different. The exceptions to this are the stacking sigils: only one stack effect can be active at a time. Additionally, sigils with the same base sigil will share cooldowns between weapon sets.
- A warrior is wielding a greatsword with both a Superior Sigil of Air (chance to deal additional damage to target on critical hit) and a Superior Sigil of Earth (chance to inflict Bleeding on critical hit) attached to it. Both sigils will roll their chance to activate on every attack the warrior makes, and each sigil will run its own cooldown timer after it activates.
- A thief is wielding a main-hand dagger with a Minor Sigil of Agony (+10% Bleeding duration) and an off-hand pistol with a Major Sigil of Agony (+15% Bleeding duration). Only the major sigil's effect will apply, giving the thief +15% bleeding duration.
- A warrior with Fast Hands is wielding a greatsword and axe/mace, with Superior Sigil of Battle in both weapon sets. He can swap weapons every 5 seconds, but the sigils will trigger only every 9 seconds, since they share cooldown.
- A mesmer is wielding a scepter with a Minor Sigil of Bloodlust (gain a stack of +Power for every kill) and a focus with a Major Sigil of Perception (gain a stack of +Precision for every kill). The main-hand's stacking sigil will take precedence, and the mesmer will only gain stacks of Bloodlust.
There are 5 categories of sigils based on how their effects are activated.
Sigils in this group provide a constant effect while the weapon is wielded. There are three subtypes.
Provide a static bonus to a specific attribute.
|Sigil of Accuracy||+ 3% / 5% / 7% Critical Chance|
|Sigil of Bursting||+ 4% / 5% / 6% Condition Damage|
|Sigil of Force||+ 1% / 3% / 5% Damage|
|Sigil of Malice||+ 5% / 7% / 10% Condition Duration|
Increase direct damage, usually with a condition that must be met.
|Sigil of Agony||+ 10% / 15% / 20% longer Bleeding duration|
|Sigil of Chilling||+ 10% / 15% / 20% longer Chilled duration|
|Sigil of Debility||+ 10% / 15% / 20% longer Weakness duration|
|Sigil of Hobbling||+ 10% / 15% / 20% longer Crippled duration|
|Sigil of Paralyzation||+ 10% / 20% / 30% longer Stun duration|
|Sigil of Peril||+ 10% / 15% / 20% longer Vulnerability duration|
|Sigil of Smoldering||+ 10% / 15% / 20% longer Burning duration|
|Sigil of Venom||+ 10% / 15% / 20% longer Poison duration|
Chance on hit
These sigils have a chance to activate on hit and have an internal cooldown.
|Sigil of Frailty||10% / 25% / 50% chance to inflict Vulnerability for 10 seconds (cooldown: 2s)|
|Sigil of Ice||10% / 20% / 30% chance to Chill your foe for 1s / 1s / 2s (cooldown: 10s)|
|Sigil of Water||10% / 20% / 30% chance to heal nearby allies (cooldown: 10s / 7s / 5s)|
|Sigil of Purity||60% chance to remove a condition (cooldown: 10s)|
Chance on critical hit
These sigils have a chance to activate on critical hits, and they also have an internal cooldown.
|Sigil of Air||50% chance to cause a Lightning Strike on critical hit (cooldown: 7s / 5s / 3s)|
|Sigil of Blight||60% Chance on Critical: Area Poison Attack (2 Seconds, 240 radius) (cooldown: 8 Seconds)|
|Sigil of Blood||10% / 25% / 50% chance to steal life on critical hit (cooldown: 5s)|
|Sigil of Earth||30% / 45% / 60% chance to inflict Bleeding for 3s / 4s / 5s on critical hit (cooldown: 2s)|
|Sigil of Fire||50% chance to cause a Flame Blast on critical hit (cooldown: 9s / 7s / 5s)|
|Sigil of Generosity||20% / 40% / 60% chance to transfer a condition to your foe on critical hit (cooldown: 10s)|
|Sigil of Incapacitation||60% chance to inflict crippled for 2 seconds on critical hit (cooldown: 5s)|
|Sigil of Nullification||60% chance to remove a boon on critical hit (cooldown: 10s)|
|Sigil of Rage||50% chance to gain Quickness for 3 seconds on critical hit (cooldown: 30s)|
|Sigil of Strength||20% / 40%/ 60% chance to gain Might for 5s / 7s / 10s on critical hit (cooldown: 1s)|
|Sigil of Torment||50% chance to inflict AoE Torment for 5s on critical hit (cooldown: 5s)|
These sigils apply their effect whenever a foe dies while the weapon is wielded. There are two subtypes.
Provides an instantaneous effect.
|Sigil of Luck||25% / 50% / 75% chance to gain a boon on kill|
|Sigil of Restoration||Heals for 515 / 677 on kill (scales with healing power at a rate of 15%)|
|Sigil of Speed||Grants 10s / 14s / 20s of Swiftness on kill|
|Superior Sigil of Stamina||Endurance is refilled on kill|
Gain up to 25 stacks of an effect that grants an attribute bonus per stack or grants a bonus when you reach the maximum amount of stacks. On-kill sigils gain 5 stacks upon killing an enemy player in all areas of the game. You can only have one attribute stacking bonus at a time (Superior Sigil of Demon Summoning works independently, however). The bonus is lost when you are downed, when you travel to a different zone, or when you unequip the weapon. Unequip includes switching to and from underwater weapons while not having the identical sigil in the weapon sets that you start using.
|Sigil of Benevolence||+ 0.3% / 0.4% / 0.5% effectiveness of outgoing Healing per stack|
|Sigil of Bloodlust||+ 2 / 7 / 10 Power per stack|
|Sigil of Celerity||Grants 3s / 4s / 5s of quickness at 25 stacks|
|Sigil of Corruption||+ 2 / 7 / 10 Condition Damage per stack|
|Superior Sigil of Cruelty||+ 10 Ferocity per stack|
|Superior Sigil of Demon Summoning||At 25 charges, you summon a Fleshreaver.|
|Sigil of Life||+ 7 / 10 Healing Power per stack|
|Superior Sigil of Momentum||+ 5 Toughness per stack|
|Sigil of Perception||+ 7 / 10 Precision per stack|
On weapon swap
These sigils activate whenever you weapon swap during combat to a set that includes the sigil; this includes changing elementalist attunements, equipping/stowing engineer kits, or dropping a bundle. There is an internal cooldown of nine seconds.
|Sigil of Battle||Gain 1 / 2 stack(s) of Might for 20 seconds|
|Superior Sigil of Cleansing||Remove 1 Condition|
|Sigil of Doom||Inflict Poison for 4s / 6s / 8s on your next attack|
|Sigil of Energy||Gain 25% / 50% of your endurance|
|Sigil of Geomancy||Inflict Bleeding on nearby foes for 6s / 8s / 10s|
|Sigil of Hydromancy||Damage nearby foes and inflict Chilled for 1s / 1.5s / 2s|
|Superior Sigil of Intelligence||Your next 3 attacks have a 100% critical chance|
|Sigil of Leeching||Your next attack steals health|
|Sigil of Mischief||Launch 1 / 2 / 4 blinding snowballs at foes in front of you|
|Sigil of Renewal||Heal allies within 180 / 240 / 360 range|