Confusion is a condition that deals damage each second and additional damage each time the affected target begins to activate a skill. Confusion stacks intensity. Like all damaging conditions, it will stack up to a maximum of 1500 times.“
Damage received on skill activation; stacks intensity.
— In-game description
Characters suffering from confusion can be identified by twirling, purple tinted spiral over their heads. Additionally, the same effect will appear alongside damage dealt by confusion when using a skill.
In PvE, the damage over time is higher, and the damage on skill activation is lower, than it is in WvW and sPvP. The formulae for confusion's damage are:
Damage over time (PvE only):
(0.06 * Condition Damage) + (0.25 * Level) + 2damage per stack per second.
(0.06 * Condition Damage) + 22damage per stack per second at level 80.
Damage over time (WvW and sPvP):
(0.035 * Condition Damage) + 10damage per stack per second.
Damage on skill activation (PvE only):
(0.0375 * Condition Damage) + (0.421875 * Level) + 3.75damage per stack.
(0.0375 * Condition Damage) + 37.5damage per stack at level 80.
Damage on skill activation (WvW and sPvP):
(0.0625 * Condition Damage) + 49.5damage per stack.
Confusion damage is applied on every skill activation, whether activated manually or automatically. For example, necromancers will take confusion damage when they create a Mark of Blood after dodging while equipped with the Mark of Evasion trait.
- See also: Condition#Related skills
Weapon skills that confuse
Underwater weapon skills that confuse
Utility skills that confuse
Elite Skills that confuse
Skills with special conditions that confuse
- Skull Grinder (primal burst with mace while in berserk)
- Concussion Bomb (with Bomb Kit)
- Confusing Speech (tool belt skill with Technobabble)
- Pry Bar (with Tool Kit)
- Sonic Shriek (with Juvenile Reef Drake)
- Crippling Anguish (with Juvenile Fanged Iboga)
- Narcotic Spores (with Juvenile Fanged Iboga)
- Crippling Anguish (with Juvenile Fanged Iboga while in beastmode)
- Narcotic Spores (with Juvenile Fanged Iboga while in beastmode)
- Throw Gunk (Warthog pet)
- Throw Gunk (Stolen skill)
- Cry of Frustration (shatter)
- Imaginary Axes (while under the effect of Mirage Cloak)
- Ether Barrage (while under the effect of Mirage Cloak)
- Wave of Panic (while under the effect of Mirage Cloak)
- Corrupt Boon (when removing retaliation)
- Unholy Feast (when removing retaliation)
- Well of Corruption (when removing retaliation)
Downed skills that confuse
- Combo Field: Ethereal × Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile
- Combo Field: Ethereal × Combo Finisher: Whirl
Healing skills that remove confusion
- See also: Condition#Related traits
Traits that apply confusion
- Spontaneous Destruction — Use Banish Enchantment when striking a foe that has boons equal to or greater than the threshold.
- Merciless Hammer — Deal increased damage with a hammer when attacking a foe that is dazed, knocked down, launched, or stunned. Hammer skills gain reduced recharge. Inflict confusion when you interrupt enemy skills.
- Bewildering Ambush — Stealing also applies confusion.
Mistrust — Whenever you interrupt a foe, inflict confusion in an area around them.(No longer existent in current game)
- Illusionary Retribution — Shatter skills inflict confusion on hit.
- Ineptitude — Interrupting a foe inflicts blind, and blinding a foe inflicts confusion.
- Riddle of Sand — When entering combat, your first Ambush attack applies confusion. This ability refreshes when you use a Shatter skill.
Traits that improve confusion
Traits that remove confusion
- Guarded Initiation — Remove conditions when striking an enemy while your health is above the threshold.
- Pain Response - Gain regeneration and remove conditions when struck while your health is below the threshold.
Effects that confuse
- Chaos Armor (randomly)
- See also: Condition#Related equipment
Upgrade components that apply confusion
- Rune of Perplexity (rank 4 & 6)
Upgrade components that affect confusion
- Rune of Perplexity (rank 2 & 6 – increase duration)
When confusion is applied to a character they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura||My mind is scrambled!||Where am I?|
|Charr||I can't remember my orders!||Can't remember my orders!|
|Human||Where am I?||What's going on?|
|Norn||Is this... a dream?||How many ales have I had?|
|Sylvari||Everything's so blurry.||Oh, what's happening?|
|August 09, 2017||
|February 22, 2017||
|June 23, 2015|| Specialization update:
|January 27, 2015||
|June 25, 2013||
|April 30, 2013||
|August 28, 2012|| Game release:
- This condition was changed to also deal damage each second in the June 23, 2015 game update.