Blocking is a technique used to parry incoming attacks. A blocked attack deals no damage, and other effects on the target are also ignored. Some traits grant benefits when blocking or when being blocked. Some skills are unblockable, which is listed in the skill description. Unblockable attacks will prevent blocks and traits or effects that trigger on blocking from activation. Traps are an example of unblockable skills.
Blocking targets destroy all projectiles they come in contact with - this means projectiles with Pierce, or projectiles that don't directly do attacks (e.g. Infiltrator's Arrow) can be effectively bodyblocked by a target who's blocking.
- 1 Related skills
- 2 Related traits
- 3 Related equipment
- 4 See also
Weapon skills that block
- Protector's Strike
- Shield of Absorption (only projectiles)
- Shield of Wrath
- Zealot's Defense (only projectiles)
- Shield Stance
- Static Shield
- Whirling Defense (only projectiles)
- Illusionary Counter
- Illusionary Riposte
- Phantasmal Warden (only projectiles)
- Ring of Earth (only projectiles near it, lasts for ~2 seconds)
Underwater weapon skills that block
Healing skills that block
Utility skills that block
Skills with special conditions that block
- Virtue of Courage
- Smoke Screen (randomly from Toss Elixir U; only projectiles)
- Gear Shield (from Tool Kit)
- Vine Shield (tool belt skill with Grasping Vines)
Traits that improve blocking
- Amplified Wrath — Burning damage is increased. Burn enemies whose attacks you successfully block.
- Might of the Protector — Gain might when you block attacks.
- Communal Defenses — Grant aegis to allies when you block an attack.
- Shield Master — Reflect missiles whenever you are blocking. Gain might when you block an attack. Shield skills recharge faster.
- Mental Defense — Cast Phantasmal Defender on your attacker when you successfully block or evade an attack.
- Ineptitude — Cause confusion when you blind a foe. Blocking or evading an attack inflicts blind on your opponent.
The same foe cannot be blinded more than once within the interval.
Traits that add blocking to attacks
- Strider's Defense — Chance to destroy projectiles while executing a melee attack. Sword skills recharge faster.
Upgrade components that improve blocking
- Rune of the Guardian (rank 6) — cause burning when blocking
- Superior Rune of the Defender (rank 2) - gain 1 second of regeneration.
- Superior Rune of the Defender (rank 6) - gain health.