Blocking is a technique used to negate incoming attacks. A blocked attack deals no damage, and other effects on the target are also ignored. Some traits grant benefits when blocking or when being blocked. Some skills are unblockable, which is listed in the skill description. Unblockable attacks will prevent blocks and traits or effects that trigger on blocking from activation. Traps are an example of unblockable skills.
Blocking targets destroy all projectiles they come in contact with - this means projectiles with Pierce, or projectiles that don't directly do attacks (e.g. Infiltrator's Arrow) can be effectively bodyblocked by a target who's blocking.
- 1 Related skills
- 2 Related traits
- 3 Related equipment
- 4 See also
Weapon skills that block
- Protector's Strike
- Shield of Absorption (only projectiles)
- Shield of Wrath
- Zealot's Defense (only projectiles)
- Shield of Courage
- Warding Rift
- Duelist's Preparation
- Field of the Mists (only projectiles)
- Crystal Hibernation
- Shield Stance
- Static Shield
- Shock Shield
- Whirling Defense (only projectiles)
- Illusionary Counter
- Illusionary Riposte
- Phantasmal Warden (only projectiles)
- Echo of Memory
- Deja Vu
- Corrosive Poison Cloud (only projectiles, can destroy some projectiles other skills can't)
- Ring of Earth (only projectiles near it, lasts for ~2 seconds)
Underwater weapon skills that block
Healing skills that block
Utility skills that block
- Sanctuary (only projectiles)
- Smoke Screen (only projectiles)
- Bandit's Defense
- Arcane Shield
- Corrosive Poison Cloud (only projectiles)
Skills with special conditions that block
Traits that improve blocking
- Amplified Wrath — Burning damage is increased. Burn enemies whose attacks you successfully block.
- Might of the Protector — Gain might when you block attacks.
- Communal Defenses — Grant aegis to allies when you block an attack.
- Defender's Dogma — Blocking an attack causes Justice to reach its maximum charge.
- Malicious Reprisal — When one of your attacks is blocked, your next attacks will be unblockable.
- Shield Master — Reflect missiles whenever you are blocking. Gain might when you block an attack. Shield skills recharge faster.
- Mental Defense — Cast Phantasmal Defender on your attacker when you successfully block or evade an attack.
- Ineptitude — Cause confusion when you blind a foe. Blocking or evading an attack inflicts blind on your opponent.
The same foe cannot be blinded more than once within the interval.
Traits that grant blocking
- Strider's Defense — Chance to destroy projectiles while executing a melee attack. Sword skills recharge faster.
Upgrade components that improve blocking
- Rune of the Guardian (rank 6) — cause burning when blocking
- Superior Rune of the Defender (rank 2) - gain 1 second of regeneration.
- Superior Rune of the Defender (rank 6) - gain health.