From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
Protection is a boon that reduces direct damage by 33%. It does not affect condition damage dealt by conditions or any other source of health loss such as falling damage.“
Incoming damage decreased; stacks duration.
— In-game description
- See also: Boon#Related skills
Weapon skills that grant protection
Healing skills that grant protection
Utility skills that grant protection
- "Hold the Line!"
- "Save Yourselves!"
- Contemplation of Purity (when removing vulnerability)
- Elixir C (when removing vulnerability)
- Hard Light Arena
- Stone Spirit
- "Protect Me!"
- Moa Stance
- Armor of Earth
- Signet of Inspiration (randomly)
- Spectral Armor
- Spectral Wall
- Well of Power (when removing vulnerability)
- Facet of Chaos
- Prayer to Lyssa (randomly)
Skills with special conditions that grant protection
- Toss Elixir C (tool belt skill for Elixir C, when removing vulnerability)
- Toss Elixir H (tool belt skill for Elixir H, randomly between Protection, Regeneration, Vigor)
- Reconstruction Field (tool belt skill for Medic Gyro)
- Protecting Screech (Blue Moa unique pet skill)
- Protection (Juvenile Armor Fish unique pet skill)
- "We Heal As One!" (when the pet has protection)
- Protection (When melded with a Juvenile Armor Fish)
- Consume Plasma (Thief Steal skill, stolen from mesmers)
- Glyph of Elemental Harmony (when attuned to earth)
- Magnetic Shield of Conjure Earth Shield (applied for each foe pulled)
- Stomp (with Glyph of Elementals (earth))
- Overload Earth (when attuned in Earth)
- Roar of the Forest (with Avatar of Melandru)
- Consume Plasma (From Plasma found by Forage (siamoth))
- Shell Shock (with Turtle Banner)
- Bomb Shell (with Turtle Banner)
- See also: Boon#Related traits
Traits that grant protection
- Focus Mastery — Gain protection when using a focus ability. Focus abilities have reduced recharge.
- Protective Reviver — Cast Lesser Shield of Absorption when you begin reviving an ally. If you revive an ally, you each gain boons.
- Inspired Virtue — Virtues now also apply the following boons to allies when activated:
- Over Shield — Shield skills gain recharge reduction and grant protection to nearby allies.
- Protection Injection — Gain protection whenever you are disabled. (stun, daze, knockdown, knockback, launch, float, sink, or fear).
- Recovery Matrix — Using your heal skill temporarily reduces damage you receive.
- Companion's Defense — You and your pet gain protection when you dodge roll.
- Protective Ward — When you receive damage, nearby foes are weakened and you gain protection.
- Nature's Vengeance — Your spirits have increased health and grant a boon to allies around them. Spirit-activated skills affect a larger area. (With Stone Spirit)
- Fresh Reinforcement - Entering beastmode grants you the boons affecting your pet.
- Elemental Shielding — Grant protection when applying an aura to yourself or an ally.
- Elemental Attunement — When attuning to an element, you and nearby allies gain a boon.
- Elemental Contingency — Gain a boon when you are struck, based on your current attunement.
- Hardy Conduit — Gain protection while overloading an attunement. Protection has increased effectiveness.
- Illusionary Membrane — Gain protection when you gain regeneration.
- Chaotic Dampening — Chaos armor grants protection. Staff and trident skills gain reduced recharge.
- Prismatic Understanding — Increased stealth duration from mesmer skills. Gain random boons while you are in stealth.
- Protected Phantasms — Phantasms gain distortion briefly upon creation. Illusions gain protection when you activate a shatter skill.
- Beyond the Veil — Whenever you leave shroud, you and your minions gain protection.
- Vampiric Rituals — Wells gain reduced recharge time. They now grant protection to allies when cast, and siphon health with every pulse.
- Eye for an Eye — When disabled by a foe with stun, daze, knockback, pull, knockdown, taunt, float, fear, launch, or sink, taunt that foe for a short duration and gain protection.
- Bolster Fortifications — Grant protection to nearby allies when using a healing skill.
Traits that improve protection
- Rugged Growth — You and your pet recover health while affected by protection.
- Second Skin — Conditions inflict less damage to you while you have protection.
Effects that grant protection
- Chaos Armor (randomly)
- See also: Boon#Related equipment
Upgrade components that grant protection
- Superior Rune of Durability — (4) When struck.
- Superior Rune of the Earth — (4) When struck.
- Superior Rune of the Grove — (4) When struck.
- Superior Rune of the Forgeman — (6) When struck below 50% health.
- Superior Rune of the Herald — (6) To nearby allies when using a heal skill.
Upgrade components that affect protection
- Superior Rune of the Earth — (2) Increases duration by 10% and (6) Increases duration by 20%
- Superior Rune of the Grove — (2) Increases duration by 10% and (6) Increases duration by 20%
- Superior Rune of the Forgeman — (4) Increases duration by 15%
- When protection is applied to a character they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura||I'm nigh invincible.||Armor enhanced.|
|Charr||Armored up!||Armored up.|
|Human||Armored up!||They'll have to hit much harder!|
|Norn||Strength is mine!||Defense then offense!|
|Sylvari||Safe from harm.||Protected!|
|October 18, 2016||
|June 23, 2015|| Specialization update:
|August 28, 2012|| Game release: