Certain effects can temporarily increase your maximum health. Each additional point of the Vitality attribute raises health by 10.
 Base Health by Profession
A character's Health pool stems from 2 sources:
- A direct bonus to health every time the character levels up
- The character's Vitality, providing 10 points of health per point of Vitality. A character obtains bonuses to Vitality on level-up as well.
Although all professions receive the same bonus Vitality on level-up (providing the same amount of bonus Health from Vitality at each level to all professions equally), the amounts of direct Health bonuses on level-up vary by profession. This results in different total health values for different professions as shown in the following tables.
At level 1 all characters have a base Vitality of 24, and at level 80 a base Vitality equal to 916 (not counting Vitality bonuses from equipment or traits).
|Direct Health Bonus on level-up||Level 1-19||Level 20-39||Level 40-59||Level 60-79||Level 80||Total at Level 80|
|Engineer, Ranger, Mesmer||18||45||90||135||180||5,922|
|Guardian, Thief, Elementalist||5||12.5||25||37.5||50||1,645|
|Base Health at levels 1 and 80||Level 1 Base Health||Level 80 Base Health||Level 1 + Vitality||Level 80 + Vitality|
|Warrior, Necromancer||28 (+24 Vit)||9,212 (+916 Vit)||268||18,372|
|Engineer, Ranger, Mesmer||18 (+24 Vit)||5,922 (+916 Vit)||258||15,082|
|Guardian, Thief, Elementalist||5 (+24 Vit)||1,645 (+916 Vit)||245||10,805|
 Maximum health
Maximum health can temporarily or permanently be changed. Your current health cannot be higher than your maximum.
- Permanent maximum health increase
- Temporary maximum health increase
- Skills Banner of Defense and Conjure Earth Shield
- Vitality-increasing consumables
- WvW server-wide or guild-wide bonus
 Regaining Health
You can regain lost health in the following ways:
- Change in max health has a corresponding change in actual health
- Natural regeneration when not in combat
- Various Healing skills
- Regeneration and Rejuvenation while in combat
- Leveling up while in combat instantly refills your health.
- Stealing health from an opponent.
 Related skills, bonuses, and effects
While some individual effects change depending on the player's relative health, in general losing some health does not reduce the player's combat effectiveness; it only matters when a players loses it all.
 Consumables dependant on health
- Slice of Eda's Apple Pie Double-click to increase power by 20 while health is over 90%. Lasts 10 minutes.
 Consumables that increase health
- Bowl of Fire Salsa - For 30 minutes, grants +100% health while downed and +20% damage dealt while downed. (Level 80 Required)
- Bowl of Mango Salsa - For 30 minutes, grants +80% health while downed and +14% damage dealt while downed. (Level 70 Required)
- Bowl of Avocado Salsa - For 30 minutes, grants +50% health while downed and +6% damage dealt while downed. (Level 40 Required)
 Upgrade components that increase health
- See Vitality.
- When a character's health drops to around 1/3 they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura|| Why won't... anyone help me...?
Help... I don't have long...
| Help me...I'm hurt!|
|Human|| I need healing. Seriously.
I'm in bad shape, here!
| This is getting serious.|
Still standing, barely...
|Norn||Is this the end?||I'm dying...|
|Sylvari|| I'm fading fast.
Death stalks me...
|Can't go on for much longer...|
Charr warrior healed for 252 health using a skill
Ballista's build site health around 10%
Veteran Ascalonian Monk targeted by a player and health bar nearing 30%
Player's party health bars (green)