- Effect type
- Game link
Agony is an effect unique to Fractals of the Mists that removes a percentage of the player's health every second and reduces received healing by ~50%. It is not affected by condition removal, but it can be mitigated using infusions that grant agony resistance.“
Deals damage every three seconds; stacks intensity.
— In-game description
Players encounter agony beginning at difficulty scale 10. In the pre-Fractured fractals, bosses are the only source of the effect and inflict agony with their attacks; these can be avoided by evading, blocking, invulnerability, and or other actions that prevent the attacks from hitting. In the new fractals (which were released in Fractured), various environmental events may also apply it.
Agony inflicts damage every second. Agony resistance is vital at higher scales because the Jade Maw and other final boss encounters passively inflict agony and this cannot be avoided by normal means.
The damage pulse depends on the difficulty scale and the player's Agony Resistance attribute (AR). The base percentage of the inflicted health loss increases every 10 fractal levels. Each point of AR reduces the health loss by 1.2%, to a minimum of 1% health lost per second. The table shows this in increments of 5 AR (6% reduction) for brevity.
|Agony resistance||Health loss per tick at difficulty scale|
Currently the maximum scale is 50, completing it won't advance the Personal Reward Level any higher. Agony resistance above 70 does not have any additional beneficial effect.
- Non-player characters (including pets) are not subject to agony.
- At difficulty scale 10 or higher, the final area or platform inflicts Agony prior to the start of the fractal bosses.
- The effect is similar to Spectral Agony inflicted by the Mursaat in the original Guild Wars. This was an irremovable effect that dealt heavy damage against players whose armor wasn't infused, which has similar mechanic as infusion. It is theorised that Agony and Spectral Agony are Mist powered effects, harnessed by the Mursaat.
- In the media, ArenaNet has referred to agony as a condition. While it's similar to other conditions that inflict damage over time, it is not affected by effects or skills that remove or reduce the duration of conditions.
- Prior to the 26 March 2013 update, pets did not have any agony resistance.