“I'll guard you. Let them come through ME first!
The guardian's special ability is the use of three virtues. Each virtue provides a passive on-going benefit to the guardian; Virtue of Courage periodically provides Aegis to block against an attack, Virtue of Justice periodically allows an attack to cause burning, and Virtue of Resolve gives health regeneration. The virtues may also be activated by the guardian to bestow a temporary benefit to all nearby allies (including themselves), at the cost of being disabled for a long period, similar to how signet skills are used.
The Guardian has a reputation of being the most durable profession in the game, thanks to their virtues and many utility and elite skills which focus on use of boons and active defense and protecting of allies in general.
Virtues have been said to help balance the guardian; for example, they have a lower base health than the warrior profession but compensate for this with their higher health regeneration granted by Virtue of Resolve.
 Special skill types
- Chains — A chain of attacks which occupy only one skill slot.
- Shouts — motivational phrases which instantly aid nearby allies.
- Spirit Weapons — summon ephemeral weapons to fight alongside the guardian. Spirit weapons can be attacked by enemies and can be commanded to inflict a powerful attack before disappearing.
- Consecration — these abilities focus on providing safe areas of benefit to allies around the guardian.
- Symbols — these ground-based skills inflict damage to enemies and deliver a benefit to allies. Symbols persist for a few seconds and then dissipate. All symbols provide Combo Field: Light
- Wards — a temporary marked area on the ground in shape of a line or ring that pushes enemies attempting to cross them back while allowing allies to move freely.
- Meditations — a type of utility skill that involves teleportation and condition removal.
The guardian has five general trait lines:
- Zeal increases Power and Condition Duration, and especially favors the user of greatsword and spirit weapons, as well as offensive use of symbols.
- Radiance increases Precision and Condition Damage. The only damage dealing condition available to guardian is burning, and this line possesses traits which can inflict it on opponents or benefit from it.
- Valor increases Toughness and Critical Damage. Minor traits in this line benefit blocking, especially by the use of aegis, while major traits focus on defensive measures and weapons, such as hammer and mace.
- Honor increases Vitality and Healing Power, and emphasizes and benefits dodging, support, healing and condition removal.
- Virtues increases Boon Duration and Virtue Recharge Rate. Its master and grand-master tier traits mostly modify or enhance use of certain virtues, allowing the guardian to specialize in use of a certain virtue.
The guardian is a soldier profession, and thus wears heavy armor.
There are twelve possible weapon sets for this profession and two weapon sets while underwater. The guardian can equip and alternate between two weapon sets during combat starting at level 7.
The following crafting disciplines can create items that are useful to the guardian:
- Weaponsmith — Greatswords, hammers, maces, shields, spears, swords.
- Artificer — Focus, scepters, staves, tridents.
- Huntsman — Torches.
- Armorsmith — Heavy armor.
- Jeweler — Jewelry.
- Chef — Food.
 Personal story
In the biography step of character creation, guardians must decide which article of clothing they wear to show their dedication. This item can be the Conqueror's Pauldrons, the Fanatic's Pauldrons, or the Visionary's Helm.
“With the turmoil in Elona and the spread of the Order of Whispers into other lands, more Paragon teaching showed elsewhere in Tyria. These teachings melded with other traditions, and over time, the guardians and their abilities can be found throughout the world and among all the races. They are not tied to a particular race, philosophy, or group of gods but rather to a larger concept of proactive defense, of taking the fight to a foe and protecting those you fight alongside while appealing equally to humanity's defensive nature and the charr's desire to rule the battlefield.
- The guardian was previewed under this image until its unveiling on the 27th January 2011.
- The guardian was widely known among fans as "Blue Mace Lady" (or simply "BML") prior to being revealed, due to this concept art.
- The guardian was the first profession unveiled that is not present in the original Guild Wars.
- During early development the guardian had less magical ability and was called a "knight". As the other professions became more defined, the guardian received more magical type abilities, pulling in aspects of the Guild Wars monk and paragon professions.
- Guardian on the official website.
- ^ Forum post, Martin Kerstein, Guild Wars 2 Guru
- ^ a b Massively's interview with Jeff Grubb and Eric Flannum, Massively