Elementalists are multi-faceted spellcasters that channel elemental forces, making fire, air, earth, and water do their bidding. What they lack in physical toughness, they make up in versatility and the ability to inflict massive damage in a single attack.
Elementalists have harnessed Tyria's natural forces. Their powers of destruction are drawn from an affinity with the four elements that make up the world. They conjure air, fire, earth or water to assault their enemies. As a scholar profession, elementalists wear light armor.
The Elementalists have unique power to attune to different elements that changes their weapon skills based on the element.
- Fire Attunement - Attune to fire, gaining heavy damage and burning abilities.
- Water Attunement - Attune to water, gaining superior support and healing abilities.
- Air Attunement - Attune to air, gaining heavy damage and control abilities.
- Earth Attunement - Attune to earth, gaining superior damage-over-time and defensive abilities.
When one of these attunement skills is activated, the weapon skills of the player change based on the equipped weapon(s) and the chosen element. Because these attunements can be freely swapped even while in combat, effectively giving access to four different weapon skill sets, elementalists do not have access to weapon swapping like most other professions. They also have the lowest base health in comparison to other professions, so they have to make up for their lack of durability under fire by managing their attunements and skills carefully and avoid putting themselves in dangerous situations. They also are very versatile, able to easily adopt a support or damage role.
Elementalist specializations are also rather unique in that each of the them directly improve one of the attunements. For instance, the Fire Magic specialization mostly improves use of fire attunement spells.
Unique skill types
- Arcane — Spells that use non-elemental magical energy which cast instantly, often dealing critical damage.
- Auras — Auras are temporary defensive effects which cause harm to attacking enemies.
- Cantrips — Defensive charms which activate instantly.
- Conjures — Summon useful items and potent weapons in the elementalist's hands as well as in a targeted area for allied use.
The elementalist has five core specializations, and one elite specialization:
- Fire - focuses on use of fire magic and conjured weapons.
- Air - focuses on use of air magic and additionally glyphs, movement speed, and spike damage.
- Earth - focuses on use of bleeds, defense, and signets.
- Water - focuses on use of water magic and defensive tactics, as well as exploiting Vulnerability on foes.
- Arcane - focuses on general improvements, arcane utility skills, and the switching of attunements.
- Tempest — gain access to warhorns, a set of shout skills, and the ability to overload attunements for powerful effects.
The elementalist is a scholar profession and wears light armor.
- Dagger — Provides powerful close range abilities suitable for offense as well as abilities designed for defense.
- Focus — Provides supportive spells in form of energy shields, disabling snares and defensive area effects.
- Warhorn — Provides assistance to you in both supporting your allies and creating disruptive areas for enemies. (Tempest specialization only)
Although the elementalist has access to only one weapon set during combat, they effectively have the ability to switch between four different skill sets by changing attunements. There are five possible weapon sets, giving a total of twenty when changing attunements. While underwater, they have access to the trident only, offering four skill sets when changing attunements.
It should be noted that sigils that trigger on weapon swap (like Sigil of Battle), also trigger when the Elementalist swaps attunements.
The following crafting disciplines can create items that are useful to the elementalist:
- Weaponsmith — Daggers.
- Artificer — Foci, scepters, staves, tridents.
- Huntsman — Warhorns.
- Tailor — Light armor.
- Jeweler — Jewelry.
- Chef — Food.
|I study all the elements, but I wear a gem that symbolizes my love of _____.|
|Water ("water") — Water, whether frozen or flowing, is life, and its currents run deep in us.|
|Fire ("fire") — Fire's hunger, its destructive burn, demands respect. It immolates and clears the path for new growth.|
|Earth ("earth") — Earth is the foundation that supports all life. Stone fortifies us. Rock grounds us.|
|Air ("air") — Air is the source of all life. It is invisible, and yet it can destroy whole villages.|
- The elementalist was previewed under this image until its unveiling on the 27th April 2010.
- Elementalist on the official website.