Effect refers to any kind of status that alters the state and standard characteristics of characters or NPCs. Active effects on characters can be seen in the effects monitor, directly to the right of health orb. When a target is selected, active effects on that target can be seen underneath their health bar. Most effects are temporary; however, certain NPCs can possess permanent effects such as invulnerability or unshakable.
While many effects are unique and limited to a couple sources or NPCs, there are some common effects seen in the game. There are three primary groups of effects that play an integral role in combat:
- Boons — effects that have a positive impact on characters and mobs. All boons can be removed once applied.
- Conditions — effects that have a negative impact on affected targets. All conditions can be removed once applied.
- Control effects — effects that temporarily control a foe's ability to move and/or use skills. Control effects can be broken by stun break skills.
 Other effects
Many effects don't fit in any of the former types. Some effects common to more than one profession are:
Some effects are only employed by a single profession. The following are profession-specific effects:
- Attunements, Auras and Conjures
- Mantras in their 'charged' state.
- Banners and stances