Trait guides were consumables that unlocked major traits. Trait guides could be purchased from profession trainers. Alternatively, they could be unlocked for free by completing tasks unique to each trait. Traits would be unlocked separately for each character on an account. Trait guides are no longer a part of the game and have been replaced by specializations, and training using hero points.
- List of guardian trait guides
- List of warrior trait guides
- List of engineer trait guides
- List of ranger trait guides
- List of thief trait guides
- List of elementalist trait guides
- List of mesmer trait guides
- List of necromancer trait guides
Note that this system was removed prior to the addition of the revenant profession.
Each profession trainer offered 65 different trait guides, one for every major trait for that profession.
Alternative unlock methods
As an alternative to trait guides, traits could be unlocked through completing various game content. These unlock methods were almost consistent across professions based on the position of the trait line in the trait interface. The main exception was completing the Obsidian Sanctum jumping puzzle, which always unlocked the trait that reduces fall damage, even though it was not located at the same position for each profession. Consequently, a few other tasks were swapped for each profession to compensate.
Trait unlock methods sorted by level range
- While the trait system was locked until level 30, traits could still be unlocked through completing content before level 30.
- Characters created prior to the April 2014 Feature Patch were grandfathered into the newer system with all major traits unlocked except for the then new XIII grandmaster traits.
- This system to unlock traits was removed in the June 23, 2015 game update.