Hero, if you still believe in a brighter future, hold in your heart a thorn that can pierce all doubt.
Caladbolg is a greatsword made from the Pale Tree's thorn. It can be acquired by the player through the achievement Knight of the Thorn after completing the Heart of Thorns storyline. Caladbolg is capable of enhancing the qualities of its wielder, such as strength, wisdom, bravery, and even negative qualities. According to Iowerth, the greatsword is a living thing.
Caladbolg was first given to the Firstborn sylvari Riannoc so he could destroy Mazdak the Accursed. Before this could happen, however, his human squire Waine stole the greatsword and left Riannoc to die. Waine used it to win gladitorial bouts, unbeknownst to the sylvari. While Caladbolg was missing, a prophetess of Rata Sum proclaimed that its return would signal the Elder Dragon's downfall.
Caladbolg was rediscovered in 1325 AE when Mazdak reappeared. The sword was retrieved from Waine by the Valiant and used to slay Mazdak. Afterwards, the Pale Tree gave Caladbolg to Firstborn Trahearne to combat the Risen and the Elder Dragon Zhaitan, shortly before he was appointed leader of the Pact. Trahearne wielded Caladbolg throughout the Pact's campaign in the Ruins of Orr, and used its energy to cleanse the Artesian Waters of Zhaitan's corruption.
Caladbolg continued to be Trahearne's weapon until the downfall of the Pact airship fleet and his imprisonment by Mordremoth in 1328 AE. The shattered sword was found alongside Trahearne deep within the Heart of Thorns, where it was used to end Trahearne's misery and defeat the Elder Dragon permanently. The Pact Commander kept the Broken Caladbolg in memory of Trahearne's sacrifice.
Much later, Ridhais, a sylvari warden and former soldier under Trahearne, requested an audience with the Commander, and claimed they could help restore the sword. Under her guidance, the Commander sought out shards of the blade and motes of natural power. Caladbolg tested the Commander's worth by having them fight visions of its former wielders, Riannoc and Trahearne, and eventually a vision of the Commander themselves.
Returning to the Artesian Waters, the Commander proved themselves to the sword and took up a regrown Caladbolg with its blessing. As a living weapon, the restored Caladbolg can assume different forms to suit its wielder.
|1||Daybreak Blade||½||Slash your foe once, then again on the backswing.|
|Flashing Arc||½||Medium range sword attack.|
|2||Electrolyze||½||Hit multiple foes with arcs of chain lightning.|
|3||Skyfall||1||5||Smash your foe, knocking them down.|
|4||Twilight Crash||½||8||Knockback all targets in front of you.|
|5||Maelstrom Strike||¾||10||Thrash foes around you in a spinning frenzy while flinging projectiles.|
- Caladbolg's blade has a misty green/white/pink glow.
- Blue and yellow-orange butterflies fly constantly around the blade.
- Caladbolg is used by sylvari characters during the personal story.
- Players gain Caladbolg as a transformation that replaces the player's equipment attributes, profession mechanics and specialization traits with Caladbolg and its skills.
- Utility skills will be usable under the Caladbolg transformation.
- Mesmer clones summoned under the Caladbolg transformation will also hold Caladbolg and have use of all its 5 skills.
- Unlike phantasm skills, the Caladbolg skills used by the clones will consider the stats of the clones, not the player, and so they will do about half of the damage done by the Caladbolg skills used by the player.
- Clones summoned under the Caladbolg transformation will be rather unreliable, and may not attack at all. They will not move closer to use the melee attacks and stick to the ranged ones until their target is close enough, only move when their target moves out of the range of Electrolyze. They will not save Maelstrom Strike for melee range, using it instead when there is any enemy in the range of its projectiles.
- Each skill utilizes the animations of profession skills, e.g. Twilight Crash is similar to Illusionary Wave and Maelstrom Strike is similar to Whirling Wrath.
- Caladbolg is the name of Fergus mac Róich's sword in the Ulster Cycle of Irish mythology.
- The versions of Caladbolg used for bundles and NPC weapons can be previewed in-game. Here are some examples: