Knight of the Thorn
|Total achievements: 5
|Dreams of a Thorn
|Locate objects of power across Tyria to aid in the restoration of Caladbolg.
|1 Mote Collected
|11 Motes Collected
|Knight of the Thorn
|Become blessed by the Pale Tree as the bearer of Caladbolg.
|Blessed by the Pale Tree
|Shards of a Thorn
|Locate sword fragments within the Maguuma Jungle to aid in the restoration of Caladbolg.
|1 Fragment Collected
|5 Fragments Collected
|Account-bind each form of Caladbolg.
|1 Form Bound
|5 Forms Bound
|The Sword Regrown
|Restore Caladbolg, Thorn of the Pale Tree.
- Regrown Caladbolg
If you have not received this mail after completing the story chapter, then you will need to wait until the daily reset at 00:00 and enter a major city or you can receive the mail early by directly talking to Warden Leide in The Grove.
After you speak with Warden Leide, you will receive another mail, this time from Ridhais, telling you to meet them in your home instance. You may visit any race's home instance, not just your character's.
- Asura: Applied Development Lab
- Charr: Hero's Canton
- Human: Salma District
- Norn: Hunter's Hearth
- Sylvari: Dreamer's Terrace
Ridhais will be marked with a , somewhere near the entrance of your home instance.
If you have misplaced or deleted your Broken Caladbolg, you may trade 10 Bottles of Elonian Wine to Miyani to obtain a new one. Note that you must have the 10 Bottles of Elonian Wine in the character's inventory, not the account's Material Storage.
There is much to be done to heal Caladbolg. In case you are distracted by other matters, here is a list of materials that will be needed eventually:
Obtaining the materials
After you give Ridhais the broken sword, she will ask for you to bring her a Vision Crystal, a Spiritwood Scion, and an Orb of Natural Essence. You will also unlock the Dreams of a Thorn and Shards of a Thorn achievements which are used to obtain the last two items. She will also send you a mail reiterating the materials you will need.
- Vision Crystal - Requires a level 500 Artificer, Huntsman, Weaponsmith, Tailor, Armorsmith, or Leatherworker to craft. May also be obtained by purchasing it with Astral Acclaim from the Wizard's Vault, or as a salvage drop from Ascended weapons or Ascended chest armor.
- Spiritwood Scion - Obtained from completing Shards of a Thorn achievement.
- Orb of Natural Essence - Obtained from completing Dreams of a Thorn achievement.
- Note: You do not need to collect all three at once to continue the story, but it is recommended.
- Shards of a Thorn
- See also: Shards of a Thorn
To complete this achievement, you must gather five shards of Caladbolg spread across the four Heart of Maguuma maps. You are given one from Ridhais already, so you just need to collect the remaining four. See the page above for their locations. The reward is an item you will need to return to Ridhais.
- Dreams of a Thorn
- See also: Dreams of a Thorn
To complete this achievement, you must gather eleven motes spread across several maps in Core Tyria. You are given one from Ridhais already, so you just need to collect the remaining ten. See the page above for their locations. The reward is another item you will need to return to Ridhais.
The First Vision
- See also: The First Vision
After obtaining a Vision Crystal and handing it over to Ridhais, she will tell you to head to Lychcroft Mere in Kessex Hills where you will enter The First Vision. The entrance to this instance is just west of the Shadowheart Site Waypoint — .
After defeating Riannoc, speak to Ridhais and she will tell you to go back to your home instance, where she will ask for a Spiritwood Scion.
The Second Vision
- See also: The Second Vision
After handing over a Spiritwood Scion, you will be told to go to Matriarch's Perch in Verdant Brink where you will enter The Second Vision. The entrance to this instance is right next to the Pact Encampment Waypoint — .
After defeating Trahearne and speaking to Ridhais, head back to your home instance, where she will ask for an Orb of Natural Essence.
The Sword Regrown
<Character Name>, the Pale Mother has recovered slightly and requests your presence. I implore you to visit the Omphalos Chamber in the Grove at your earliest Convenience.
- See also: The Sword Regrown
In this instance, you will fight against Remnant of a Hero. After defeating it, you have to choose which weapon type you want, by talking to the right NPC.
Knight of the Thorn
Collect all 5 forms of Caladbolg. There are two ways to unlock forms after the first:
- Method 1 (swapping)
- After completing the Knight of the Thorn achievement, you can return to your Home instance where Ridhais will be waiting. For 1000 Unbound Magic, she will allow you to trade in your current Caladbolg and let you choose another form. Doing this four times (once for each of the other forms) will give you the achievement since you just need to unlock each skin. You will only have 1 weapon at the end, though.
- Method 2 (crafting)
- You can create additional copies of Caladbolg by completing Hearts and Minds (and therefore receive the Broken Caladbolg) on new characters. You will need to obtain another Vision Crystal and craft the Spiritwood Scion and Orb of Natural Essence using the recipes earned from their respective achievements (above) instead of being able to earn them through the vision fights. The last fights proceeds as normal. Each copy will take a modest amount of ascended crafted materials, and take the time to complete the HoT story multiple times, but this method will result in four more Ascended weapons.
- You may change the form of Caladbolg you selected for 1,000 by speaking to Ridhais in your home instance. Unlike during this achievement, she will not be at the entrance.
- Other characters on your account may also complete the story, however the Spiritwood Scion and Orb of Natural Essence must be crafted. Their recipes are automatically unlocked after completing their respective achievements the first time.
- To start Knight of the Thorn again on another character, visit the shrine to Trahearne, then take Broken Caladbolg and a Vision Crystal to Ridhais in that character's home instance.
- Ridhais will only appear in the home instance of characters who have completed the Heart of Thorns storyline, and after they have spoken with Warden Leide near the memorial for Firstborn Trahearne in The Grove.
- This achievement category was added on August 8th, 2017, and was split from the Current Events category.