Evade is mechanic which prevents attacks (including many Area of Effect attacks and traps) from hitting a character for a short duration. Evading can be achieved by a carefully timed dodge an instant before the blow lands, but can also be achieved using some skills or effects. In both cases, the word Evaded! appears on the screen when successfully evading an attack.
For the skills that grant evasion, the duration of the evasion window is shown in the skill's tooltip – typically around¾ seconds, approximately the time of a dodge. This is the time, after activating the skill, during which you will evade all attacks which would have hit you otherwise.
The attacker will see an Evaded! message on their screen, and the failed attempt may still count as an attack for traits and skills which affect a certain number of attacks, such as Assassin's Signet.
Skills that allow evading will either cause quick retreat by a backwards roll or flanking by quickly positioning the character to the side or behind an enemy. Being immobilized does not prevent the evading of attacks, but it does prevent dodging and movement in general, except for teleportation.
Dodge, or use an evasion skill, just before being hit (taking into account the activation delay of the skill.)
To successfully time an evasion, you need to predict the instant at which the attack will hit you (given knowledge of the attacker's skill animation, weapon swing or projectile speed, etc.) The "Evade" duration listed on your evasion skill is the time during which you have to activate the skill before you expect the hit to land. The shorter that time, the longer you must wait until the hit has almost landed, before dodging or activating the skill. Needless to say, practice makes perfect.
The following is true for evading caused by dodging as well as by the use of skills:
- If an attack would hit you during the skill's evade duration (i.e. you correctly timed your action), you will successfully evade it.
- If you attempt evading the hit too early, you will be hit by the attack when it lands, unless the dodge or skill moved you out of its area of effect, but then you have not technically evaded the attack. (Note that the "point" of impact can be a large area for AoE and cone attacks, as well as many weapon swings).
- Obviously, if you attempt evading after the hit has landed, you will have been already hit, but can still evade recurring damage from area effects such as Lava Font.
- Burning Retreat - Quickly roll backward, leaving behind a line of fire that burns.
- Burning Speed - Slide forward and blast the area, leaving behind a line of fire that burns foes.
- Updraft - Gain swiftness from a gust of wind that launches nearby foes.
- Blurred Frenzy - Strike your foe with a flurry of strikes, distorting the space around you, making you evade attacks.
- Hornet Sting - Stab your foe, then evade backward.
- Power Stab - Stab your foe and evade attacks.
- Serpent's Strike - Do an evasive roll around your target, striking them and poisoning them.
- Stalker's Strike - Stab and poison your foe while evading attacks.
- Quick Shot - Fire a quick shot in an evasive retreat. Gain swiftness if the shot hits. This can be used while retreating.
- Disabling Shot - Do an evasive leap away from your foe while firing a crippling shot.
- Flanking Strike - Evade and stab your foe.
- Pistol Whip - Pistol-whip your foe, stunning them, then slash repeatedly with your sword.
- Death Blossom - Do an evasive attack over your opponent, striking nearby enemies three times. Each hit causes bleeding.
- Whirlwind Attack - Whirl in a target's direction, slashing foes along your path.
- Ice Wall - Create a wall of ice that you can shatter, chilling enemies near its location.
- Evasive Strike - Evade while delivering a powerful final attack.
- Evasive Strike - Evade while delivering a powerful attack.
- Flanking Strike - Evade your foe and then attack, applying vulnerability to your target.
- Shadow Assault - Strike your foe repeatedly with a shadowy assault. Evades while active.
- Lightning Reflexes - Evade back with a crack of lightning, dealing damage and gaining vigor.
- Roll for Initiative - Evade backward to regenerate initiative and recover from crippled, chilled, and immobile.
- Fiery Whirl - Advance forward, slashing foes in your way.
- Kinetic Battery — After evading a strike, your next tool belt skill is instantly recharged.
- Primal Reflexes — When you successfully evade an attack, gain vigor.
- Feline Grace — Gain vigor upon successfully evading an attack
- Swindler's Equilibrium — Successfully evading an attack while wielding a sword or spear recharges steal by a static amount. Swords and spears deal increased damage.
- Upper Hand — Gain initiative and regeneration when you evade an attack.
- Evasive Mirror — Gain a barrier that reflects projectiles after a successful evasion.
- Mental Defense — Cast Phantasmal Defender on your attacker when you successfully block or evade an attack.
- Ineptitude — Cause confusion when you blind a foe. Blocking or evading an attack inflicts blind on your opponent.
The same foe cannot be blinded more than once within the interval.
- Certain skills and effects cannot be evaded, they include:
- Skills with area denial purposes: Line of Warding, Ring of Warding, Unsteady Ground, Static Field, Temporal Curtain's cripple, and many others. The guardian's pull skill also cannot be evaded.
- Passive effects that trigger when the enemies are attacked: Retaliation, Auras
- Certain environmental traps/events/objects.