- This article is about the skill mechanic. For other uses, see Leap (disambiguation).
A leap is a skill mechanic that causes the user to rapidly move forward a certain distance. This may be to attack an enemy target, move to a targeted area, or move to an ally. Leap skills are used for positioning and thus control in battle. Movement-speed adjustments do not affect the intended travel distance. Due to the rapid movement, leap skills can move the player out of the range of an attack similar to dodging.
Leaps come in two similar kinds, jumping and dashing, which have some key differences. Jumping leaps actually allow characters to jump over gaps or obstacles of terrain, and usually have greater reach (like Jump Shot). Dashing leaps are medium distance attacks which often only increase chances of hitting the target with a leap attack (such as Shield Bash).
Most leap skills are leap finishers, but not all leap finisher skills are physical leaps. For example, Feigned Surge and Illusionary Leap are teleports. Any skill that provides physical movement over a distance can be considered a leap skill. This is closely related to other positioning mechanics like dodging, evading, and retreating.
NPCs cannot take into account their modified movement speed when using their leap attacks; when slowed by condition such as crippled or chilled, their leaps will repeatedly fall short of their intended target.
- 1 Related skills
- 2 Related traits
- 3 Trivia
- 4 See also
All following skills target a foe unless otherwise noted.
Weapon skills that cause leap
- Monarch's Leap (with Hornet Sting)
- Pounce (with Slash (ranger sword skill))
- Serpent's Strike (over a short distance)
- Hilt Bash (over a short distance)
- Flame Leap (with Conjure Flame Axe)
- Lightning Leap (with Conjure Lightning Hammer)
- Ride the Lightning
- Magnetic Leap (with Magnetic Grasp)
Underwater weapon skills that cause leap
Profession mechanics that cause leap
Skills with special conditions that cause leap
Environmental weapon skills that cause leap
- Mists Merge (Mist Walker)
- On June 23, 2015, movement-speed adjustments were made to no longer affect the intended travel distance of leap skills of player characters.