A clone is one of the two types of illusions created by the mesmer, primarily intended to distract the enemy: Clones mimic the appearance and basic behavior of the caster, but have significantly lower health and do relatively little damage. Upon creation, clones focus only on their targeted foe, persisting until the clone's target is defeated or the clone expires through damage, being shattered or being replaced by a new illusion.
- Clones are created by any skill with a type of clone.
- Unlike phantasms, clones display the same name and targeting badge as the mesmer who created them.
- They are affected by boons, area effects, and conditions, but not by environmental effects like lava.
- A clone's basic attack is the same as the caster's first weapon skill, e.g. Spatial Surge for clones created while wielding a greatsword. Clones have approximately 1 second of delay between attacks, meaning they attack slower than the player. All effects of attacks such as conditions caused by Winds of Chaos still apply.
- Although base damage of clones is near zero, they can apply conditions and boons depending on traits selected and their attack skill. Their purpose is to distract opponents, attract aggro, and be shattered by the mesmer to produce damage and other effects.
List of skills that create clones
|Profession||Weapon / Skill slot||Clone||Description|
|Mesmer||Greatsword||Mirror Blade||Throw an illusionary greatsword that bounces between targets, damaging foes and giving might to allies. It creates a clone at its first target.|
|Staff||Phase Retreat||Teleport away from your target, summoning a clone that casts Winds of Chaos.|
|Scepter||Ether Clone||Shoot out a third bolt of energy that damages your target. Summon a clone that casts Ether Bolt.|
|Illusionary Counter||Block the next attack. Counter by applying Torment and creating a clone that casts Ether Bolt.|
|Main-hand Sword||Illusionary Leap||Summon an illusion that leaps at your target, crippling them. After the initial leap, the clone will execute the Mind Slash sword chain.|
|Off-hand Sword||Illusionary Riposte||Block your foe and create an illusion when attacked.|
|Spear||Feigned Surge||Surge forward, attacking foes in front of you, then teleport back to your starting location, creating a clone.|
|Trident||Spinning Revenge||Grant retaliation to nearby allies and summon a clone to attack your foe. You gain chaos armor.|
|Utility||Decoy||Gain stealth and summon an illusion to attack your foe.|
|Mirror Images||Summon two clones to attack your foe.|
|Downed||Deception||Create a downed clone of yourself.|
- See also: Illusion#Related traits
- Desperate Decoy — Cloak and leave a clone of yourself behind if you take damage while below the health threshold.
- Deceptive Evasion — Create a clone at your current position when you dodge.
- Clones summoned automatically, such as by Deceptive Evasion, target the enemy nearest to them upon creation.