A clone is one of the two types of illusions created by the mesmer, primarily intended to distract the enemy: Clones mimic the appearance and basic behavior of the caster, but have significantly lower health and do relatively little damage. Upon creation, clones focus only on their targeted foe, persisting until the clone's target is defeated or the clone expires through damage, being shattered or being replaced by a new illusion.
- Clones are created by any skill with a type of clone.
- Unlike phantasms, clones display the same name and targeting badge as the mesmer who created them.
- They are affected by boons, area effects, and conditions, but not by environmental effects like lava.
- A clone's basic attack is the same as the caster's first weapon skill, e.g. Spatial Surge for clones created while wielding a greatsword. Clones have approximately 1 second of delay between attacks, meaning they attack slower than the player. All effects of attacks such as conditions caused by Winds of Chaos still apply.
- Although base damage of clones is near zero, they can apply conditions and boons depending on traits selected and their attack skill. Their purpose is to distract opponents, attract aggro, and be shattered by the mesmer to produce damage and other effects.
 List of skills that create clones
- See also: Illusion#Related traits
 Traits creating a clone
 Traits improving clones
- Clones summoned automatically, such as by Deceptive Evasion, target the enemy nearest to them upon creation.