A critical hit, also known as a critical strike, critical, or crit is a mechanic that offers a chance that an attack causing direct damage can inflict extra damage. The chance of a critical hit is determined by precision and any bonuses to critical chance, such as fury and certain skills and traits. Critical hits deal 150% of base damage of the attack, which can be increased by the Ferocity attribute. In addition, some effects only trigger after a critical, including relevant ones from traits, sigils, or runes. Critical hit damage is displayed in larger text than ordinary damage and highlighted with a red splash.
- 1 Formula
- 2 Related skills
- 3 Related traits
- 4 Related upgrade components
- 5 Average damage increase
- 6 Player chatter
- 7 Notes
- 8 See also
The expected average damage output is determined by the following formula:
Average damage = Base damage * ( 1 - Critical Chance ) + Base damage * ( Critical Chance * Critical Damage )
Re-factored, this simplifies to:
Average damage = Base damage * ( 1 + Critical Chance * ( Critical Damage - 1 ) )
Example: given a critical chance of 25% and critical damage of 180%, average damage output is 20% greater than normal.
Average damage = base * ( 1 + 0.25 * ( 1.8 - 1 ) ) = base * ( 1 + 0.25 * 0.8 ) = base * 1.2
Healing skills that cause critical damage
- Arcane Brilliance — Blast the area, hitting foes with critical damage and healing yourself. Healing effectiveness is increased per target hit.
Utility skills that cause critical damage
- Arcane Blast — Blast your foe with energy for critical damage.
- Arcane Power — Your next five attacks do critical damage.
- Arcane Wave — Blast foes in the target area with an energy wave for critical damage.
Traits that trigger on critical hits or when critically hit
- Empowering Might — You and nearby allies gain might when you land a critical hit.
- Glacial Heart — Critical hits with hammers chill enemies. Hammer recharge is reduced.
- Vigorous Precision — Gain vigor when you deliver a critical hit.
- Axe Mastery — Critical axe hits gain extra adrenaline. Gain ferocity for each axe you are wielding. Reduce recharge on axe skills.
- Forceful Greatsword — Gain might on a critical hit with a greatsword or spear. Greatsword and spear skills deal more damage and recharge faster.
- Furious — Critical hits grant bonus adrenaline and gain a stacking condition damage effect.
- Precise Strikes — Chance to cause bleeding on critical hits.
- Rending Strikes — You have a chance to cause vulnerability on critical hits.
- Spiked Armor — Gain retaliation when you block or are struck by a critical hit. Retaliation gives you bonus toughness.
- Bunker Down — Create a proximity mine and med kit at your location when you critically hit with an attack.
- Heavy Armor Exploit — Your critical hits have a chance to give you swiftness and apply vulnerability to your foe.
- Incendiary Powder — Critical hits inflict burning. Burning you apply lasts 33% longer.
- No Scope — Critical hits within the range threshold have a chance to grant fury.
- Sharpshooter — Critical hits have a chance to cause bleeding.
- Companion's Might — Your critical hits grant might to your pet. Critical strikes from your pet's basic attack cause bleeding.
- Sharpened Edges — Chance to cause bleeding on critical hits.
- Ankle Shots — Critical hits with pistols and harpoon guns have a chance to cripple foes. Pistol and harpoon attacks deal increased damage to crippled foes.
- Invigorating Precision — You are healed for a percentage of outgoing critical hit damage.
- No Quarter — Landing a critical hit while under the effects of fury increases the duration of fury. Gain increased ferocity while under the effects of fury.
- Sundering Strikes — Critical hits have a chance to cause vulnerability.
- Arcane Precision — Skills have a chance to apply a condition on critical hits.
- Burning Precision — Critical hits have a chance to cause burning, and burning lasts longer.
- Fresh Air — Recharge air attunement on a critical hit.
- Renewing Stamina — Gain vigor when you deliver a critical hit.
- Weak Spot — Chance to cause vulnerability on critical hits.
- Critical Infusion — Gain vigor when delivering a critical hit.
- Sharper Images — Illusions inflict bleeding on critical hits.
- Barbed Precision — Critical hits have a chance to cause bleeding. Increases bleed duration.
Traits with effects that cannot score critical hits
Traits that nullify critical hits on yourself
Related upgrade components
Upgrade components that trigger effects on critical hits
- Sigil of Air — chance to cause a Lightning Strike
- Sigil of Blood — chance to cause life stealing
- Sigil of Earth — chance to cause Bleeding
- Sigil of Fire — chance to cause a Flame Blast for AoE Damage
- Sigil of Generosity — chance to transfer a condition
- Sigil of Rage — chance to gain Quickness
- Sigil of Strength — chance to gain Might
- Superior Sigil of Blight — 60% chance to cause an area poison attack
- Superior Sigil of Incapacitation — 60% chance to inflict Crippled
- Superior Sigil of Nullification — 60% chance to remove a Boon
- Superior Sigil of Torment — 50% chance to apply AoE torment
Average damage increase
The table below shows the average increase in damage from critical hits based on the chance to hit critically (rows) and the bonus Critical Damage from that attribute (columns). For example: if your critical chance is 20% and your critical damage is 155%, the 1.110 means that, over time, you will end up doing 11% more damage than if both attributes were zero.
| Critical Damage →
Critical Chance ↓
When a character hits a foe with a critical hit, they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura|| I've beaten you, but you don't know it yet.
For the record: you've been struck!
| How does that feel? Excruciating?|
I've got a lesson to teach you.
|Charr||That had to hurt.||Feel the pain!|
|Human|| There's one to remember me by.
Oh, that had to hurt.
| Hurts, doesn't it?|
You'll be feeling that one for days.
|Norn||HAH! Extra damage!|
|Sylvari||Take that!||Give up yet?|
- Condition damage is not affected by precision or critical damage modifiers, since only direct damage hits have a chance to critical.