A critical hit, also known as a critical strike, critical, or crit is a mechanic that offers a chance that an attack causing direct damage can inflict extra damage. The chance of a critical hit is determined by precision and any bonuses to critical chance such as fury and certain skills and traits. Critical hits deal 150% of base damage of the attack, which can be increased by the Critical Damage attribute. In addition, some effects only trigger after a critical, including relevant ones from traits, sigils, or runes. Critical hit damage is displayed in larger text than ordinary damage and highlighted with a red splash.
The expected total damage is determined by the following formula:
Average damage = Base damage * ( 1 - Critical Chance ) + Base damage * ( Critical Chance * (Critical Damage + 1.5) )
Average damage = Base damage * ( 1 - Critical Chance + Critical Chance * (Critical Damage + 1.5) )
Average damage = Base damage * ( 1 + Critical Chance * ( Critical Damage + 0.5) )
For example, the average damage with a 25% critical chance and +30% critical damage is 20% greater than normal:
Average damage = base * ( 1 + 0.25 * ( 0.3 + 0.5 ) ) = base * ( 1 + 0.25 * 0.8 ) = base * 1.2
 Related traits, skills and upgrade components
 Skills that increase critical chance
- Arcane Power — Your next five attacks do critical damage.
 Traits that increase critical chance
- Right-Hand Strength — Critical-hit chance with one-handed weapons is increased.
- Blademaster — Increases your critical-hit chance with a sword.
- Critical Burst — Burst skills have an increased critical chance.
- Heightened Focus — Gain bonus critical-hit chance for each stage of adrenaline you have.
- Unsuspecting Foe — Increased critical-hit chance against stunned foes.
- Scope — Gain critical-hit chance against targets farther away.
- Target the Weak — Critical-hit chance is increased against foes that are below the health threshold.
- Precise Strike — Opening strike always critical hits.
- Combo Critical Chance — Dual skills have increased critical-hit chance.
- Side Strike — Gain bonus critical-hit chance when hitting a foe from behind or the side.
- Hidden Killer — Gain bonus critical-hit chance while in stealth.
- Precise Wrack — Mind Wrack has an increased critical-hit chance.
 Traits that trigger on critical hits
- Vigorous Precision — Gain vigor when you deliver a critical hit.
- Empowering Might — You and nearby allies gain might when you land a critical hit.
- Furious Speed — You have a chance to gain swiftness on critical hits.
- Precise Strikes — Chance to cause bleeding on critical hits.
- Rending Strikes — You have a chance to cause vulnerability on critical hits.
- Forceful Greatsword — Gain might on a critical hit with a greatsword or spear. Reduces recharge on greatsword and spear skills.
- Sharpened Axes — Critical hits with axes grant extra adrenaline. Reduces recharge on axe skills.
- Furious — Critical hits grant bonus adrenaline.
- Incendiary Powder — Critical hits inflict burning.
- Sharpshooter — Critical hits have a chance to cause bleeding.
- Infused Precision — You have a chance to gain swiftness on critical hits.
- Go for the Eyes — Critical hits with rifles have a chance to inflict blindness.
- Precise Sights — You have a chance to cause vulnerability on critical hits
- Companion's Might — Critical hits grant might to your pet.
- Honed Axes — You deal more critical damage when wielding an axe in your main hand.
- Carnivorous Appetite — Pets gain health on critical hits.
- Sharpened Edges — Chance to cause bleeding on critical hits.
- Ankle Shots — Critical hits with a pistol have a chance to cripple foes.
- Sundering Strikes — Critical hits have a chance to cause vulnerability.
- Opportunist — Critical hits have a bonus chance to restore initiative.
- Critical Haste — You have a chance to gain quickness on a critical hit.
- Burning Precision — Critical hits have a chance to cause burning.
- Weak Spot — Chance to cause vulnerability on critical hits.
- Arcane Precision — Skills have a chance to apply a condition on critical hits.
- Renewing Stamina — Gain vigor when you deliver a critical hit.
- Critical Infusion — Gain vigor when delivering a critical hit.
- Barbed Precision — Critical hits have a chance to cause bleeding.
- Reaper's Precision — You have a chance to gain life force on critical hits.
- Withering Precision — Apply weakness on critical hits.
- Vampiric Precision — Siphon health whenever you critical hit.
 Upgrade components that increase critical chance
- Superior Sigil of Intelligence - Your next attack while swapping to this weapon in combat has a 100% critical chance.
- Sigil of Accuracy - +x% Critical Chance
 Upgrade components that trigger effects on critical hits
- Sigil of Air - Chance on Critical: Cause a Lightning Strike
- Sigil of Blood - Chance to life steal on critical
- Sigil of Earth - Chance on Critical: Inflict Bleeding
- Sigil of Fire - Chance on Critical: Trigger a Flame Blast for AoE Damage
- Sigil of Frailty - Chance on Critical: Inflict Vulnerability
- Sigil of Ice - Chance on Critical: Inflict Chilled
- Sigil of Rage - Chance on Critical: Gain Quickness
- Sigil of Strength - Chance on Critical: Gain Might
- Superior Sigil of Nullification - Chance on Critical: Remove a Boon
- Superior Sigil of Water - Chance on Critical: Heal Nearby Allies
 Average damage increase
The table below shows the average increase in damage from critical hits based on the chance to hit critically (rows) and the bonus Critical Damage from that attribute (columns). For example: if your critical chance is 20% and your critical damage is 5%, the 1.110 means that, over time, you will end up doing 11% more damage than if both attributes were zero.
| Critical Damage →
Critical Chance ↓
 Character quotes
When a character receives a critical hit, they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura|| I've beaten you, but you don't know it yet.
For the record: you've been struck!
| How does that feel? Excruciating?|
I've got a lesson to teach you.
|Charr||That had to hurt.|
|Human|| There's one to remember me by.
Oh, that had to hurt.
| Hurts, doesn't it?|
You'll be feeling that one for days.
- Condition damage is not affected by precision or critical damage modifiers, since only direct damage hits have a chance to critical.