Initiative is a skill cost mechanic unique to the thief profession. It replaces recharge on the thief's weapon skills with a pool of twelve points which are spent when the skills are used and gradually returns over time. Using initiative the thief is able to tactically attack an opponent with their own chains and bursts of damage until they run out of the resource. Initiative is represented by twelve diamond-shaped indicators above the weapon skill slots.
Whenever a weapon skill is used, it will consume a certain number of initiative from the available pool. Initiative will replenish naturally at one point every 1.33 seconds.
Thieves have a base of 12 initiative. The initiative pool can be expanded up to 15 points through the primary trait line Trickery.
 Skills which use initiative
|Weapon||Equipped in||Skill||Initiative cost|
|Dagger||Main hand||Double Strike|
|Off hand||Dancing Dagger|
|Cloak and Dagger|
|Pistol||Main hand||Vital Shot|
|Shortbow||Both hands||Trick Shot|
|Cluster Bomb → Detonate Cluster|
|Harpoon gun||Aquatic||Piercing Shot|
|Nine Tailed Strike|
 Dual skills
|Main weapon||Off-hand weapon||Skill||Initiative cost|
 Stealth Attacks
|Weapon||Stealth Attack||Initiative cost|
- Opportunist: Critical hits have a 20% chance to restore one initiative (1-second cooldown).
- First Strikes: 10% increased damage when initiative is over 6.
- Signet Use: Gain 2 initiative when activating a signet. Reduces signet recharge by 20%.
- Infusion of Shadow: Gain 2 initiative when using a skill that stealths you.
- Patience: Regain initiative faster while in stealth.
- Quick Pockets: Gain 3 initiative on weapon swap while in combat.
- Quick Recovery:Gain 2 initiative every 10 seconds.
- Kleptomaniac: Stealing gives you 3 initiative.
- Preparedness: Increases maximum initiative by 3.
- Lead Attacks: Increases damage by 1% per initiative.
- Hastened Replenishment: You receive 4 initiative when using a heal skill.
- Initial Strike: Attacks with the first weapon-skill slot have a 7% chance to regain 1 initiative.