Initiative is a skill cost mechanic unique to the thief profession. It replaces recharge on the thief's weapon skills with a pool of twelve points which are spent when the skills are used and gradually returns over time. Using initiative the thief is able to tactically attack an opponent with their own chains and bursts of damage until they run out of the resource. Initiative is represented by twelve diamond-shaped indicators above the weapon skill slots.
Whenever a weapon skill is used, it will consume a certain number of initiative from the available pool. Initiative will replenish naturally at one point every second.
Thieves have a base of 12 initiative. The initiative pool can be expanded up to 15 points through the primary trait line Trickery.
Skills which use initiative
|Weapon||Equipped in||Skill||Initiative cost|
|Dagger||Main hand||Double Strike|
|Off hand||Dancing Dagger|
|Cloak and Dagger|
|Pistol||Main hand||Vital Shot|
|Shortbow||Both hands||Trick Shot|
|Cluster Bomb → Detonate Cluster|
|Harpoon gun||Aquatic||Piercing Shot|
|Main weapon||Off-hand weapon||Skill||Initiative cost|
|Weapon||Stealth Attack||Initiative cost|
- Opportunist: Critical hits have a bonus chance to restore initiative.
- First Strikes: Damage is increased while your current initiative is over the threshold.
- Signet Use: Gain initiative when activating a signet. Reduces recharge on signets.
- Infusion of Shadow: Gain initiative when you enter stealth.
- Patience: Regain initiative faster while in stealth.
- Quick Pockets: Gain initiative on swapping weapons while in combat.
- Quick Recovery:Gain bonus initiative over time.
- Kleptomaniac: Stealing gives you initiative.
- Preparedness: Increases maximum initiative by 3.
- Lead Attacks: Increases damage per initiative.
- Hastened Replenishment: You receive initiative when using a heal skill.
- Initial Strike: Attacks with the first weapon-skill slot have a chance to regain initiative.