From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
A symbol is a marked effect that guardians can place on the ground, where they inflict damage to enemies and deliver a boon to allies that enter it. Symbols generally persist for a few seconds and then disappear.
 List of symbols
|Guardian||Symbol of Faith||Mace||Smash a mystic symbol onto the ground that damages foes and regenerates allies.|
|Symbol of Judgment||Downed||Draw a symbol on the ground that heals allies and damages foes.|
|Symbol of Protection||Hammer||Create a symbol that gives protection to you and your allies.|
|Symbol of Swiftness||Staff||Sear a mystic symbol into the target area, damaging foes and granting swiftness to allies.|
|Symbol of Wrath||Greatsword||Pierce the ground with a mystic symbol that damages foes while granting retaliation to allies.|
- Writ of Exaltation - Symbols are larger.
- Writ of Persistence - Symbols last longer.
- Writ of the Merciful - All symbols heal allies.
- Protector's Impact - Create a Symbol of Protection when you take falling damage. Take 50% less damage when falling.
- Symbolic Exposure - Symbols apply vulnerability to foes.
- Symbolic Power - Increases damage of symbols.
- Zealot's Speed - Create a Symbol of Wrath when your health drops below 25% (30-second cooldown).
- All symbols apply their effects once upon activation and pulse once per second thereafter. A 4-second symbol will pulse its effect 5 times.