Loreclaw Expanse (jumping puzzle)
Map of Loreclaw Expanse
is located in the southeast portion of the Plains of Ashford
The puzzle entrance is located southeast of the Loreclaw waypoint in Loreclaw Expanse. Scale the angular ridge to find it. An alternate path lies in the water, coming from the north of the jumping puzzle, and is hidden by seaweed.
||Search YouTube for videos related to Loreclaw Expanse (jumping puzzle).
Spoiler alert: The hidden text contains spoilers relating to the solution to the Loreclaw Expanse jumping puzzle.
- Main path
The initial platform you jump to from the cliff edge is a small safe area.
- Jump to a collapsed corridor that contains four spike traps. These hit for 75% of your health. Wait until the red circles fade away, then cross over the first three traps and then head left through the window on the left.
- Run across the beams and up the stairs.
- Jump down to another corridor.
- Time your run through the gargoyle flame traps and across to stairs. These hit for a 33% of your health per pulse and apply burning. Note that although there seems to be a safe spot in the middle (between the second and third heads), this is not the case, and the traps will continuously hit you there. After passing the first three gargoyles, you can stop on the left by the pillar to recover prior to passing the last flame trap and jumping up onto the stairs.
- Jump up the makeshift stairs in the wall.
- Run up next stairs while dodging falling rocks. At the top turn left.
- Jump through the waterfall via the middle of the 2 ravens and angle slightly to the left. The landing platform is slightly visible through the waterfall.
- Open the treasure chest to spawn
- a) the Kill the shadow skelk matriarch event. Kill the matriarch to allow you to use the pressure plate required to reach the final treasure.
- b) the Kill Captain Ravenwood event. Kill Captain Ravenwood to allow you to use the pressure plate required to reach the final treasure. The Ascalonian Healer does not need to be killed and vanishes after Ravenwood is dead.
- Climb up to the rafters, using the wall pieces behind the chest; this might involve dodging fireballs. Walk across the beams and step on the pressure plate.
- Drop back down to the first chest; the southeastern wall has opened up, allowing access to a Grand Chest and sometimes a Rich Copper Vein. Approaching the chest grants the Loreclaw Expanse achievement. Grab the loot and run out since the roof may collapse and kill you.
- Returning to the puzzle after falling
Falling during many stages of the puzzle will uncerimoniously dump you in the skelk infested waters beneath the puzzle. Optionally you can jump down on to the alternative path after passing the first spike trap, or at the end of the spike trap corridor.
- Find the steps leading out of the water. Jump up the rocks, and cross over the water using the beam.
- Jump up the masonry and then jump over onto the beam with the raven on it.
- Follow the broken beam and jump the gap. From here you can either (i) head right to start the entire puzzle again and rejoin the path in the midst of the spike traps (step 1 in the instructions above), or (ii) head left via a pair of Veteran Cave Spiders to skip the gargoyle flame traps (step 6 in the instructions above).
- If the chest is open when you reach the section with the journal, you will be unable to trigger the matriarch event that enables the pressure plate, which will prevent you from reaching the final spot. Wait a few minutes and the false chest will eventually reset and you'll be able to complete the puzzle as normal.
- When the false chest resets and the crumbling wall reassembles itself, the room beyond (containing the final chest) becomes a falling rock trap.
- This puzzle is easier to do with a friend since many of the traps within the puzzle can down a player instantly.
- Invulnerability skills (such as Defy Pain) can be used to prevent trap damage.
- Thieves and elementalists can skip the false chest room via usage of shadowsteps and Lightning Flash.
- There is a journal, belonging to Haneri Jenos Sr., lying next to the first chest with the skeleton on top giving a clue to the pressure plate opening the second chest.
- This puzzle may be bypassed using the Springer to jump directly up to the exit, south and slightly west of Researcher Irkz.
- A weathered journal lies near the skeleton of what was possibly the last explorer to make it this far. The cover bears the name Haneri Jenos Sr.
- Examine the journal.
- ...the pitiful excuses for traps that are scattered throughout these ruins wouldn't trip up a blindfolded ettin. This appears to be the final chamber...
- Continue reading.
- ...pressure plate in the rafters that seems linked to opening this chest. Yet another pitiful attempt by the unimaginative trapmakers who rigged this cave to stop intruders, but it's no threat to me.
- Looks like you were wrong about that one, Haneri.
- That's all the information I need.
- Main route
11. Waterfall leap of faith
12. False chest, event and masonry
13. Rafters and pressure plate
- Rejoining the main path
2. Raven and broken beams
- Alternative route
4. Rejoining the main path
The rusty giant saw blades
Selection of cups, and perhaps the Grail?
- The dead archeologist's name is quite similar to Henry Jones, Sr., the name of the titular character's father.
- His skeleton wears a fedora, the hat usually worn by Indiana Jones.
- In the passage to the final room with the chest, the player passes spiderwebs and there are two large saw blades against the wall, similar to the first trap shown in the movie.
- There is a selection of cups sitting on the stone table near the final Grand Chest
- A 'leap of faith' from a lions head/statue is present in both movie and puzzle.
- The room with the Grand Chest will collapse (also done in the movie), killing you, if you do not leave fast enough.
- Captain Ravenwood is a reference to Marion Ravenwood. One of her quotes is "You can't do this to me. I'm an Ascalonian" in reference to a quote by her in Raiders of the Lost Ark.