Map of Skipping Stones
Skipping Stones is a jumping puzzle located in Southsun Cove.
Start from the Lion Point Waypoint — in Southsun Cove, head southeast, and follow the wall around into the cave, the start is at the northern side of the cave where the geysers are at their lowest.
Spoiler alert: The hidden text contains spoilers relating to the solution to the Skipping Stones jumping puzzle.
- Wait for the first geyser to trigger and jump on the stone platform that is created once the stones have stabilized in mid air.
- There are 22 of these geysers in this part, but after the first 19, you must be sure to jump to a ledge to your right. You can pause here to catch your breath.
- Edge up the ledge a bit, to be sure you can jump to the next solidified geyser stones - three in a row, then jump to the mountain or to the boat wreck.
- Cross over the top of the mountain (north - west).
- You will come back down to another series of geysers, sea-side. Jump their flying stones again. There is one inactive top along the way at which you can rest. If you miss any of these jumps (and some are quite long) it is advised that you try and power through to the next 'quiet spot' before the spouts return.
- At the end of this series of geysers and tops, you will be jumping to a series of three wood planks, which lead up to a shipwreck.
- Jump from the prow of the ship (tip on the front) onto the wooden wreck to the west.
- Travel these boat hulls, staying atop the peaks. You'll spot a few stone ledges along the seaward edge of the next cliff.
- Follow the stone ledges back and forth up the cliff. Be wary of one difficult jump, where it is advised to scale the cliff a bit before making the leap.
- At one point you will see a smooth path leading away, or three step ledges. Take the ledges up to the top, then jump-walk around the outer edges of the mountaintop, to where that smooth ridge would have led you (look at the expanded map; you will see two hollows, be sure you are following the outside of both).
- Head back towards seaside, where there are more jumping ledges.
- Keep as much of a level horizon as you can - there is a distraction that heads upwards, but the chest path is mostly flat.
- If you use the bridge built out of the shipwreck to cross the gap to the other side there will be a small chest on the top of the hill guarded by a Champion. (also see at Notes section).
- A Tiger Den is located on the Northwest side of the island on the ledge below champ.
- If you have trouble seeing where to put your feet clearly, turning off Post-Processing effects in graphics options might help.
- If you miss a jump on the puzzle find two Geysers next to each other with one slightly higher than the other. As the Geysers start going use Stability to avoid the knockback and jump back onto the stones. This allows for progression while the stones are down.
- To get to the bridge leading to the champ, bonus chest and tiger den it is easiest to walk through the boat.
Shortcut: Look for the concave seam
Shortcut: Jump onto the seam
Shortcut: Jump onto the nearby platform, you can travel
Safe spot near end, you can jump to the second platform to the right, then head to the ledge.
- After reaching the end of the puzzle, you can use the nearby boat wreck as a bridge to the islet in the northwest corner of the zone. At the top, you can find a minor chest guarded by a Champion Reef Rider.
- A shortcut was removed in the 28 January 2013 update, but not mentioned in the release notes.