Map of Searing Ascent
Searing Ascent is a jumping puzzle in Draconis Mons, starting at the Searing Ascent point of interest. At the end of the jumping puzzle is an Ancient Chest, and completing the jumping puzzle the first time awards the Searing Ascent achievement.
- From Heathen's Hold Waypoint — take the northwest thermal tube across. Once landed, hop across the lava and travel up the ledge on the right side until you pass the diving googles.
- Grab the Oakheart Essence at the start. Be aware that wasting a single charge unnecessarily will mean you won't be able to reach the first checkpoint. Jump around the first corner (to avoid slipping off the edge), and up onto the plateau. (Image 1)
- Jump from the high point (at the right) to the low part of the next plateau (on the left). At the edge of the next platform are some rocks jutting out from the rock face. Climb to the high point of this ledge. (Image 2)
- Turn around to look to the north, and glide over to the platform above the next platform. Jump up the jutting out rocks and progress around the corner. (Image 3)
- Glide over to the jutting out rocks on the next platform and carefully jump up the slope (this is tricky and may take a few attempts). (Image 4)
- Walk to the end of the next platform and look up. (Image 5A) You need to use Oakheart's Reach (#1) on as high as possible above you, then glide to the right beneath the arch. Almost immediately after rounding the corner you will have to use Oakheart's Reach (#2) to reach the edge of the shiny volcano ledge on the right. (Image 5B).
- Walk up the left edge to the highest point (Image 6A), and then use Oakheart's Reach (#3) on the cliff face opposite, with the aim of gliding into the planted area on the far side. (Image 6B)
- On the right in front of you is the first Refreshing Spring (the first checkpoint) - interacting with this grants you the special action skill Return to Checkpoint.
- First checkpoint
- Bathe in the first Refreshing Spring. If you look above it, you'll notice an Oakheart's Essence which you need to get to but cannot currently reach. Turn around and walk north until you come across a skeleton with a hand pointing over the edge. (Image 7)
- Alternatively, the Essence can be reached by gliding onto a small green rock on the side of the cliff under the Essence, which brings you close enough to jump and pick it up automatically. If this shortcut is used, skip to step 3.
- Glide forwards (you'll need to lean) and follow the wall on your right until you can see a gray ramp leading up to some greenery. (Images 8A and 8B). Land and walk up the greenery. At the top of the ramp in an alcove you will find a second Oakheart's Essence. Backtrack to the top of the ramp and use Oakheart's Reach (#1) to gain some height, and glide back left around the corner to the first checkpoint. Use Oakheart's Reach again (#2) to reach the Oakheart's Essence above the checkpoint. Interact with it and make sure you have three charges remaining.
- With the first checkpoint behind you, continue forwards and drop down slightly. Above and slightly to your left is a ramp on the opposite side of the chasm. Cross over the chasm to the top left of the slope using Oakheart's Reach (#1). (Image 9)
- Walk or glide down the slope (opposite where you came from) until you reach an opening on the right, and then go through it. (Images 10A and 10B)
- Walk up the corridor and head left to emerge at an opening. (Images 11A and B)
- Glide forwards and left, under the beam. Use Oakheart's Reach (#2) to get closer to the ceiling on the light brown stalactite, and glide over to the shiny volcano ledge. Walk up it and use (#3) to get to the opposite ledge with the greenery on it. The second checkpoint is beneath a large mushroom to the left. Climb the plateau once you've triggered the checkpoint to obtain another Oakheart's Essence.
- Second checkpoint
- After climbing up to the Oakheart's essence return to the pool and jump through the bushes behind the large mushroom.
- Continue through the bushes and proceed over to the edge. You will be gliding for the next several steps, so read carefully! Your goal is to reach checkpoint #3 by gliding and using your Oakheart's Reach's to keep yourself high enough.
- Jump off the edge and glide around the wall to your left (Image 3), and continue past the rocky cliffs. Glide left around the next wall (Image 4).
- Continue forward and use Oakheart's Reach (#1) to regain your elevation (Image 5). Continue gliding to the right towards a hanging cliff face (Image 6).
- After passing the outcropping, look to the left and up to find the area with blue glowing plants (Image 7). From here you have two options:
- Use Oakheart's Reach (#2) to latch near the upper hole, or
- Continue gliding under the glowing cliff face, potentially using Oakheart's Reach (#2) to regain elevation.
- Following either route, you can use your final Oakheart's Reach (#3) to pull you into the mossy outcropping (Image 8), and from there into checkpoint #3.
- Third checkpoint
- Up the slope to your left is another Oakheart's Essence, collect it.
- behind the Refreshing Spring is a small passage
- Glide towards the passage marked with green moss.
- run towards the edge of the cliff and hug/jump around to the other side marked again with blue glowing plants.
- glide around further till you reach a section of bushes.
- Jump up the rock-face and enter the cave and turn right (Swiftness can help).
- Exit the cave past the blue glowing plants and then run around the cliff-face .
- climb up the rocks entering a large cavern like area and follow it to a ledge, jump up the left hand side.
- climbing through a bush on the other side of the cavern reveals an area pulsing with red electricity.
- Glide down to a ledge on the left hand side and follow the ledge through a cave.
- run up the right hand slope and jump through the gap on the other wall.
- follow the high right hand ridge jump off the ledge and use the height to glide through a gap at the end, entering a large room covered will glowing blue plants.
- use Oakheart's reach to grapple through a small gap marked with bushes at the bottom of the room.
- Oakheart's reach again up into a small gap marked with bushes on the wall of the next room.
- repeat use your last Oakheart's Reach to enter the gap masked by green bushes.
- Run along the rocks staying high, andthen glide onto the section covered with green bushes and moss.
Climb over the ridge to find the chest.