Map of Griffonrook Run
Start of the puzzle
Start from the False Lake Waypoint — in False Lake and head south. You can also start at the Guutra's Homestead Waypoint — and head west. The entrance to the puzzle is located underwater on the left or west side of the river.
Follow the water's edge until you find a cluster of seaweeds and the stone foundations of a house. Do not enter the door of the house below. Instead, a tiny hole outside the roof of the house, above and to the right of the front door. Swim behind the bright green seaweed, you'll see a very faint purple hue below you that leads to the jumping puzzle. Work your way into the underwater tunnel and swim until you arrive at the chasm. Head north from here until you reach the teleportation stone. This will bring you up to the start of the course.
||Search YouTube for videos related to Griffonrook Run (jumping puzzle).
Spoiler alert: The hidden text contains spoilers relating to the solution to the Griffonrook Run jumping puzzle.
Entrance to the puzzle is underwater; pic was taken from above
- Use the Teleportation Stone to be teleported to Adventurer Thrada.
- Talk to Adventurer Thrada near the start of the course. You are tasked with carrying a bomb to the end of the course to open the chest. As this is a bundle, all your weapon skills are disabled for the duration.
- While carrying the bomb, you will have the Volatility effect. The bomb will blow up if you are attacked by an enemy or drop it. Griffons have poor attack animations and they can hit you almost immediately or take a few seconds. They can also hit you in mid-air because of the delay.
- The bomb has a timer, which is 3 minutes. Hover your mouse cursor over the Volatility effect icon on your boon list to see the remaining time. The length of the fuse as well as the color of the smoke coming off of it, and the effect on your bar all give an indication of how much time you have left. The smoke color will go from grey, yellow, orange, red, then white before it blows.
- For the skyscale achievement, do not worry about the bomb. Just do puzzle as usual, and you will find the skyscale near the end.
- Follow the ledge east and do a hop around the wall, there is a platform on the other side.
- Hug the cliff face as you drop down on the deteriorating stone wall.
- Jump over the small gap onto a high enough step.
- Jump to your left toward the higher part of the cliff wall.
- Follow the cliff wall and run up the slope.
- At a nest to your right. Run past the griffon here, then turn left, continuing up the stone slope to the level above. (The griffon above here gets aggroed from below and will attack you immediately. Dodge past it.)
- Turn left looking off the nesting.
- Jump onto the narrow outlying pillar.
- Continue to jump down onto the platform.
- Keeping moving forward, jumping on a series of three platforms, avoiding the griffons.
- Head to the opposite side of the last platform and jump down to the lower platform.
- Jump to the nearby platform, keep in mind the gap is rather large.
- Continue to the next platform to your left.
- Facing the right side, jump down to the belying platform. You will take heavy fall damage and set upon by the nearby griffons, so move quickly and jump down to the lower platform on your right.
- Follow this path up the rock slope, heading up the the stairs at the turnaround while avoiding the griffon.
- Jump over the boulders and follow the left side to reach another set of stairs. Continue up these stairs and jump down to the next platform, dodging the griffon at the top.
- Turn left at the intersection and jump down.
- Grab the egg from the nest jutting out the right side of the platform to recover as well as to avoid the griffon.
- Keep moving forward until you reach the wall, then turn left, following the wall on your right side.
- Head up the slope, jumping over boulders and dodging the griffon.
- Turn left and head down the path, turning at where the griffon is.
- Jump onto the nearby rock face when possible and run to the end.
- Use the skill the bomb gives you to place it in front of the chest, and it will open.
- If you lose the bomb, falling to your death allows you to restart immediately.
- Equip a trait that reduces falling damage (optional).
- Griffon eggs are scattered throughout the area that will provide benefits. Blue eggs will grant swiftness. Red eggs will completely restore health.
- Bring utility skills or traits provide Swiftness, Stealth, Control, Block, or distracting Minions/Illusions.
- Disabling "Melee Attack Assist" in the General Options will enable you to run through foes.
- Thieves can take advantage of the Last Refuge trait that will stealth them and blind enemies with fall damage.
- It is possible to get the jumping puzzle achievement without carrying the bomb to the end and opening the final chest.
It is possible to waypoint with the bomb. Have a mesmer finish the puzzle, and wait by the chest. A second person picks up the bomb and waypoints to False Lake. The mesmer leaves a portal at the chest, and then also waypoints to create the exit portal. Bomber portals, puts down bomb, and boom!
It is also possible to use the item Teleport to Friend to teleport to someone at the end of the puzzle while holding the bomb.
- Gliding and mounts are disabled in this jumping puzzle.
- For players who simply want the achievement, you are not required to open the chest with the bomb. This can save you a headache.
- The chest has to be opened with a bomb, but not necessarily yours. If someone comes with a bomb and opens the chest, you can loot it.
- The chest is currently bugged so players may receive an empty chest. If this happens, log out and log back in, and you should be able to loot the chest.
- After an update a Splendid Chest was added approximately halfway through the jumping puzzle. It can be opened without a bomb.
- As of December 3, 2019 update: while holding the bomb, falling damage is now reduced by 50%.