Matthias' abomination form.
I am the scythe, the bringer of salvation.
— Matthias Gabrel
Matthias Gabrel is the final boss of Salvation Pass. He is the fanatic leader of the bandits in the Salvation Pass, as well as an inquisitor of the White Mantle. He was originally stationed in Bloodstone Fen to ensure the White Mantle troops there remain loyal to the Unseen Ones, but as the experimentation on the Bloodstone's magic advanced to imbuing shards into living beings, Matthias was convinced by Justiciar Bauer to volunteer for the experiment. To prepare for this, Matthias left for Salvation Pass, to oversee the experiments until he underwent them.
- See also: Salvation Pass#Matthias Gabrel
- White Mantle Inquisitor
- At regular intervals before Matthias transforms into the White Mantle Abomination, a random player will be selected to be sacrificed. If the remaining players fail to break the defiance bar on the player being sacrificed; the selected player will be fully defeated.
- Matthias becomes the White Mantle Abomination when he can no longer control his magic. His skills and effects become much more potent and dangerous.
- Blood Fueled - Outgoing damage is increased by 10% per stack.
- Blood Shield - Matthias is protected by the power of the Bloodstone. Removed by reflecting Blood Shards.
- Downpour - Matthias has summoned a torrential downpour.
- Heat Wave - Matthias unleashes a blistering heat wave.
- Snowstorm - Matthias has summoned a frigid snowstorm.
- Unstable - Inquisitor Matthias can no longer control his power. The weather is cycling out of control
- Downpour - Downpour deals damage to players regularly. Movement increases stack count. Applies Unbalanced at 10 stacks, which results in knockdown and resets Downpour stacks. Standing still for a few seconds will also reset the stacks.
- Heat Wave - Heat Wave deals damage to players regularly. Players standing still for too long will receive 3 stacks of burning.
- Snowstorm - Snowstorm deals damage to players regularly. Movement speed is reduced and chill is applied every 10 seconds.
- Blood Shards - Rapidly fires multiple projectiles towards one random player. Can be reflected to remove a stack of Blood Shield. This attack will always target the same player. It will change targets if the original player is defeated.
- Corruption - Every 30 seconds, Matthias targets a player and applies Corruption. Deals damage to all players in the AoE. Must be cleansed in untainted cleansing fountains. Matthias may sometimes skip this ability in his Abomination phase due to other mechanics.
- Sweep - Matthias sweeps forward with his staff, hitting multiple players.
- Oppressive Gaze - Matthias launches a ball of energy towards players, dealing 50% max health damage. This damage cannot be reduced by Protection or Rite of the Great Dwarf. Oppressive Gaze may hit a player multiple times during its travel time. Chances to get hit twice are increased if a player moves away from Matthias, for example to reach a fountain, and reduced if a player moves towards Matthias. Used during Snowstorm and his final phase.
- Shards of Rage - Matthias shoots multiple shards at players. Applies one stack of Blood Fueled to enemies hit. This attack may be reflected back at Matthias, in which case he will gain the stacks.
- Spontaneous Combustion
- Fire Tornado - During Heat Wave, spawns a Fire Tornado which roams the arena sucking in and damaging nearby players
- Icy Patch - During Snowstorm, Matthias spawns Icy Patches around the arena which Knocks down players standing within it. Removed upon applying burning.
- Unstable Blood Magic - During Heat Wave, Matthias casts Unstable Blood Magic on a targeted player. This effect will later drop a Well of the Profane at the players feet once the effect times out, or the player uses Purge, the special action skill given to cleanse Unstable Blood Magic.
- Zealous Benediction - During Downpour, Matthias targets multiple players and applies a timed AoE that deals damage to other players in range.
- Stolen skills
- Effects applied to players
- Knockdown - knockdown
- Burning - Deals damage every second; stacks intensity.
- Chilled - Movement speed decreased by 66%; skill cooldown increased by 66%; stacks duration.
- Poison - Deals damage every second; heal potency decreased by 33%; stacks intensity.
- Downpour - At 10 stacks you will become Unbalanced. Poison is applied every 10 seconds.
- Heat Wave - You receive damage when not moving. Burning is applied every 10 seconds.
- Snowstorm - Reduces movement speed and applies chill every 10 seconds.
- Blood Fueled - Outgoing damage is increased by 10% per stack.
- Corruption - ...
- Unbalanced - ...
- Unstable Blood Magic - You are infused with unstable blood magic. You will leave a corrupted well behind when this effect ends.
- Zealous Benediction - ...
- Arena mechanics
- Cleansing fountains - the four cleansing fountains around the edge of the arena are used to cleanse Corruption by walking into them. If the player does not have Forsaken Thicket Waters mastery, this deals heavy damage and stuns for 3 seconds. Once used, the fountain becomes tainted and cannot be used for 100 seconds. This means that usually only one fountain is available to cleanse the Corruption at every time (unless a Corruption was skipped due to other mechanics).
- Primary article: Matthias's Chest
- When approaching Matthias:
- Matthias Gabrel: "I am the scythe, the bringer of salvation."
- Squad Leader Bennett: I need your help!
- Matthias Gabrel: "And I shall harvest the souls of the unbelievers."
- While fighting Matthias:
- Matthias Gabrel: Elements, I command you to bend to my will.
- Matthias Gabrel: Magic surges through me! The elements are in my grasp!
- Matthias Gabrel: Bow before the White Mantle!.
- Matthias Gabrel: You'll never stop us!
- When sacrificing a player:
- Matthias Gabrel: Your sacrifice will bring him life.
If a player is sacrificed:
- Matthias Gabrel: A worthy sacrifice.
If a player is not sacrificed:
- Matthias Gabrel: He will not be pleased.
- Matthias Gabrel has 2597 armor (1374 toughness and 1223 defense).
- Matthias Gabrel has a 140 range diameter hitbox, which is considered medium. The hitbox does not change in his abomination form.
- There is a miniature version of this NPC.
- He is wearing Seer armor with an Acolyte head piece.
- The chants he speaks before fighting come from the same lines spoken by Justiciar Hablion in Bloodstone Fen during Prophecies.