From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
This mail was sent at the beginning of Blood and Madness, inviting players to take part in this instance.
- Find Magister Tassi in the ruins.
- Talk with Magister Tassi.
- Distract Bloody Prince Thorn while Tassi reconfigures her containment device.
- Defeat Bloody Prince Thorn's reinforcements.
- Throw everything available at Bloody Prince Thorn.
- Keep pelting Bloody Prince Thorn with candy corn.
- Upon reaching Tassi
- (If player didn't complete living story events during Dragon Bash)
- Magister Tassi: A new face. But one I think will be vital to this developing issue.
- (If player did complete the living story events during Dragon Bash)
- Magister Tassi: Well, if it isn't the intrepid investigator from Dragon Bash.
- You've arrived, and just in the nick of time. The relic is barely contained, and we need it to be. A foolhardy charr was vaporized after he poked it.
- Don't worry. I'm ready for whatever happens. (Initiates next part of event.)
What is it? Why is it so dangerous?
- If you are asking for an expert opinion, it's an ancient, powerful artifact from the ninth century—from the rein of the Mad King himself. But it's unlike anything I've ever seen.
- I can handle an old box.
And you know this how?
- Weren't you listening? The box is charged with an ambient necrotic corruption field. It must be there for a reason, and it must be because of the entity trying to escape from it.
- It'll have to get past me.
What could be in there?
- The box's markings date back to the Mad King's mortal reign, but there's no record of this reliquary in any of my documentation. I'd be intrigued if I wasn't terrified.
- I can handle a simple box.
- What's so dangerous about it? (Same as "Weren't you listening?")
And you know this how?
- Magister Tassi of the Durmand Priory. Foremost living expert on the Thorn family, and all things related to Mad King Thorn himself.
Who's the Mad King?
- King Oswald Thorn was a human monarch who ruled Kryta in the ninth century, famed for his lethal lunacy, which he kept up after his death through the hands of his subjects.
- Let's take care of this box.
You study a dead insane king? That's...interesting.
- Hmpf. I don't require mockery in my life, you know. Being the foremost documentarian of the Mad King's history is a worthwhile pursuit, despite what my peers might think.
- Enough academia. Let's sort out that box.
- Who's this Mad King? (Same as "Who's the Mad King?")
- So, this box? Is it dangerous? (Same as "Weren't you listening?")
- What's in the box? (Same as "The box's markings date back...")
- Wow. Touchy.
- Good luck with that.
- And you are? (Same as "Magister Tassi of the Durmand Priory...")
Have we met? (Same as "Magister Tassi of the Durmand Priory...")
- Enough talk. Let's deal with the box.
- And this box is connected to the Mad King? (Same as "The box's markings date back...")
- That's an odd thing to study. (Same as "Hmpf. I don't require mockery...")
- After speaking to Tassi
- Magister Tassi: Oh, thank the Alchemy you've come. I don't know how long the containment field will hold.
- Magister Tassi: I've been tracking this reliquary here. It's been something of a curiosity, dating back to the ninth century.
- Magister Tassi: If I'm right, it's a missing relic from when the Mad King ruled and terrified his people.
- Magister Tassi: But this relic isn't like anything I've seen from the Mad King's reign. It just...disintegrated a charr when he interacted with it.
- Magister Tassi: There's an energy to it, something from the Mad Realm, something that's eager to get out.
- Magister Tassi: Please, I need you to stand by and assist me. Something's coming. Something violent.
- (cutscene, Bloody Prince Thorn appears)
- After cut scene
- Bloody Prince Thorn: Free! I'm free! Oh, Father. You knew deep down you couldn't hold me forever.
- Magister Tassi: Who are you? You're not the Mad King.
- Bloody Prince Thorn: Do you hear me making jokes? I am NOT King Oswald Thorn. I am the killer of flesh. I am the spiller of blood.
- Bloody Prince Thorn: I am Prince Edrick Thorn, and I've come for my father! Wait. This isn't the Mad Realm. Where's my father? Speak!
- Magister Tassi: Prince Edrick Thorn? You're the Mad King's son? I've never heard of you. And as an expert on the Thorns, I've read all the records.
- Bloody Prince Thorn: That jovial lunatic wrote the Bloody Prince out of history after he left me to starve in that box?
- Bloody Prince Thorn: Where is he? I'll chop the pumpkin off his head! I'll use his fingers for forks!
- Magister Tassi: Actually...I thought you were him. Halloween is almost here, and the Mad King visits us with his usual jokes and games.
- Bloody Prince Thorn: You laugh at his jokes? Play his idiotic games? For fun? He starves me to death, and you adore him?
- Bloody Prince Thorn: You like my father's games? Well, maybe you'll like mine.
- Bloody Prince Thorn: Bloody Prince Thorn says, Suffer!'
- Encounter begins
- Magister Tassi: Keep him busy. I'll rewire the containment engine. Maybe we can restrain him.
- (After a few seconds)
- Magister Tassi: The containment fields are useless. They're just bouncing off of him.
- (After a few seconds)
- Magister Tassi: Great gears, he's unstoppable.
- First door appears
- Bloody Prince Thorn: Taste the rage of a Thorn!
- Second door appears
- Bloody Prince Thorn: Tear them limb from limb!
- (After defeating the second group)
- Magister Tassi: If anyone has a better theorem, now's the time to reveal it.
- Next phase starts
- Magister Tassi: Throw everything at him. Something has to be effective!
- Bloody Prince Thorn: You're only making me angrier!
- After throwing Candy Corn
- Bloody Prince Thorn: Argh! Candy corn! I'll kill you slow for that.
- Magister Tassi: Yes. Yes! The candy corn. Keep throwing it at him.
- (After throwing another)
- Bloody Prince Thorn: The next one who throws candy corn at me gets burned alive!
- Magister Tassi: Candy corn. Use the candy corn! It's weakening him.
- Bloody Prince Thorn: I'll shove that candy corn down your throat!
- Magister Tassi: Give me a minute. I'll adapt the containment beam to the candy corn node.
- (After throwing another)
- Bloody Prince Thorn: That's it. Everyone here is getting drawn and quartered!
- Magister Tassi: Blergh. This candy corn is no good. It's dry as a library and just as tasty.
- Magister Tassi disagrees with <Character name>.
- Upon defeating the Bloody Prince
- Bloody Prince Thorn: Swarming, tiny, petty worms. Very well! I'll paint the Mad Realm with my father's blood, then I'll be back for all of you!
- Bloody Prince Thorn: Father! I'm coming for you! I'll stuff your gullet full of candy corn and then shove you in a box!
- (Bloody Prince Thorn reenters the box)
- After he returns to the box
- Magister Tassi: I can't believe it. The Bloody Prince. And what he lacks in his father's lunacy, he makes up for with terrifying rage.
- Magister Tassi: I'm reading a massive energy surge in the Mad Realm itself. It's only a matter of time before he regains his strength and reemerges.
- Magister Tassi: This measure won't hold forever. We'll need to think offensive instead of defensive and seal that box so he can't come through.
- Magister Tassi: I can modify existing technology, but I'm going to need supplies. Take one of the relay golems from my stores.
- Magister Tassi: I'll be in touch about any new developments. Good luck.
- Speaking to Magister Tassi and defeating Bloody Prince Thorn during this event awards the Containment achievement.
- If you try to approach the box at any time it knocks you back and you lose 50% of your health.