The Vigil is a military order dedicated to fighting the Elder Dragons and their minions by force of arms. They believe that the only way to defeat the Elder Dragons is to unite the races of Tyria and to face the minions of the Elder Dragons wherever they appear. The Vigil wants to face the Elder Dragons directly, testing Zhaitan's power in the hope that such methods can one day be used against the dragon itself. They believe that the Elder Dragons grow more powerful as each day passes, and that those who do not fight now are giving the world away by standing passively aside. They intend to be an army of light against the onslaught of darkness.
The Vigil was founded by the charr Almorra Soulkeeper shortly after the creation of the Dragonbrand in 1320 AE. It is known to have a base in Lion's Arch along with having its main base at the Vigil Keep, located in the Gendarran Fields. In 1324 AE, the Vigil acted as go-between to negotiate a peace between the charr and the humans, to allow them to turn their armies against the Elder Dragons.
The Vigil has several levels in its organization. From lowest to highest, these ranks are:
 Personal story involvement
 Armor and weapons
- Vigil armor can be purchased from Crusader Eira in the Vigil Keep.
- Vigil weapons can be purchased from Tactician Luzii in the Vigil Keep.
- Headquarters: Vigil Keep in Gendarran Fields
- Lion's Arch: Vigil Centerhouse in Fort Mariner
- Hoelbrak: Vigil Billet in Trade Commons
- The Grove: Vigil Shelter in Order's Terrace
- Black Citadel: Vigil Chapterhouse in Iron Legion Arsenal
- Rata Sum: Vigil Recruiting Station: in Statics Union
- Divinity's Reach: Vigil Hall: in Melandru Low Road