Some must fight, so that all may be free.
— Vigil motto
The Vigil is a military order dedicated to fighting the Elder Dragons and their minions by force of arms. They believe that the only way to defeat the Elder Dragons is to unite the races of Tyria and to face the minions of the Elder Dragons wherever they appear. The Vigil wants to face the Elder Dragons directly, testing Zhaitan's power in the hope that such methods can one day be used against the dragon itself. They believe that the Elder Dragons grow more powerful as each day passes, and that those who do not fight now are giving the world away by standing passively aside. They intend to be an army of light against the onslaught of darkness.
It is known to have a base in Lion's Arch along with having its main base at the Vigil Keep, located in the Gendarran Fields. In 1324 AE, the Vigil acted as go-between to negotiate a peace between the charr and the humans, to allow them to turn their armies against the Elder Dragons.
Personal story involvement
The Vigil has several levels in its organization.
- Recruits: new members of the Vigil
- Crusaders: standard members of the Vigil
- Tacticians: engineers, scholars, and leaders of small companies
- Warmasters: leaders of a large group/area
- Grand-Warmaster: Second-in-Command of the Vigil
- General: Leader of the Vigil
- Firthside Vigil - Bloodtide Coast
- Vigil Centerhouse - Lion's Arch
- Vigil Hall - Divinity's Reach
- Vigil Keep (headquarters) - Gendarran Fields
- Deadman's Reach - Sparkfly Fen
- Fort Cadence - Sparkfly Fen
- Vigil Recruiting Station - Rata Sum
- Vigil Shelter - The Grove
Armor and weapons
- Vigil armor can be purchased from Crusader Eira in the Vigil Keep.
- Vigil weapons can be purchased from Tactician Luzii in the Vigil Keep.