- On the days that Southsun Survival is active in the daily activity rotation, enter into a match by talking to:
- Activity Lead Cassi, the activity NPC in Lion's Arch, located in the southern part of the Grand Piazza
- Talking to Lounges:
activity NPCs in
- Edinna Linhoft, onboard the Havoc's Heir (accessible with a Captain's Airship Pass)
- Ela, inside the Champion's Rest (accessible with a Champion's Rest Pass (2 weeks))
- Baasim, in the Lily of the Elon (accessible with a Invitation to "Lily of the Elon")
- Hawker Annika, in the Lava Lounge (accessible with a Lava Lounge Pass)
- Sanctuary Krewe, inside the Mistlock Sanctuary (accessible with a Mistlock Sanctuary Passkey)
This is a PvP activity in which players attempt to be the last survivor. Players' skills are limited to the items that they are able to find throughout the map. Each skill has limited uses so players must determine the best time to use each.
Players begin the match Immobile, circling a stockpile of resources and weapons. Once the announcement ends, players are free to grab whatever they can and are allowed to attack each other. At the beginning of each match, there is a Grace Period that prevents players from being removed too early in the game.
Survivors suffer from the hunger effect, slowly reducing the player's health over time and increasing in intensity as the match progresses. To survive from this effect, players must find and consume rations which recover their health but not reset the stack of hunger. Survivors can gather arrows for their bow attacks, traps, or other bundle weapons. Killing other players does not allow you to loot the items they were holding. Pickpocket Trap can however.
Survivor weapon skills
Each weapon listed below has a durability or ammunition count. Ammunition is consumed after use of a skill and durability is consumed after hitting a foe with a skill. When the number reaches zero, the weapon will be replaced with the default bow.
|Bow (requires ammunition)|
|1||Single Shot||1¼||½||Shoot a single arrow at your target. Consumes one arrow.|
|2||Crippling Shot||2½||Fire a crippling shot at your target. Crippled foes move at reduced speed until a ration is consumed. Skill consumes one arrow.|
|3||Disarming Shot||2½||Shoot a disarming shot at your target. Disarmed foes cannot use bow skills until a ration is consumed. Skill consumes one arrow.|
|4||Head Shot||2¾||½||Shoot at your target's head, killing them instantly. Cannot move while aiming. Consumes one arrow.|
|Sword (4 durability)|
|1||Slash||Bleed your foe with a slash.|
|1||Gash||½||Bleed your foe with a gash.|
|1||Final Thrust||½||Strike your foe with a final powerful thrust.|
|2||Savage Leap||¾||4||Lunge at your foe and strike them with your sword.|
|Plank (1 durability)|
|1||Swing Plank||¾||4||Swing a plank, causing a blowout on impact. Breaks plank.|
|Pistol (2 ammunition)|
|1||Shoot||½||4||Shoot at your foe. Uses one bullet.|
|Throwing dagger (1 ammunition)|
|1||Throw Dagger||¼||Throw a dagger that bleeds the foe it hits.|
|Pipe (2 durability)|
|1||Pipe Smash||¾||Smash your foe with a pipe, dazing them. If dazed, foe is knocked down.|
Survivor utility skills
|6||Consume Ration||2||½||Recover all health, and remove Cripple, Disarm, and Bleeding.|
|7||Ration Trap||2||½||Place a ration trap at your location. Creates a fake passion fruit plant that explodes on proximity.|
|8||Pickpocket Trap||2||½||Place a pickpocket trap at your location. The foe who trips this will be knocked down and lose all items.|
|9||Alarm Trap||2||½||Place an alarm trap at your location. The foe who trips this will cause a loud noise and bright lights to flash, revealing their location.|
|0||Apply Camouflage||45||Become invisible, as long as you remain in place.|
After a survivor dies or if a player enters after the grace period ends, they become a mist walker.
- Mist Walker — You've faded into the Mists. Collect revenge motes to power skills that hinder living competitors.
Mist walkers gather Revenge Motes to harass the remaining survivors. Revenge motes appear throughout the map and at the location of a survivor whenever attempt to gather anything.
Mist Walker skills
|1||Pull of the Mists||1||Place a trap that instantly teleports you to whoever triggers it. Consumes 1 revenge mote.|
|2||Nice Trip||1||Place a pickpocket trap at target location. The foe who trips this will be knocked down and lose all items. Consumes 4 revenge motes.|
|3||A Sign from Beyond||1||Place an alarm trap at target location. The foe who trips this will cause a loud noise and bright lights to flash, revealing their location. Consumes 4 revenge motes.|
|4||Call of Karka||1||Summon an invincible karka at target location. Consumes 10 revenge motes.|
|5||Mists Merge||1||Dash forward at the speed of light|
As you play the game, you will gain points for doing specific actions, whether scavenging goods, or killing survivors, each point you gain reflects on the game's scoreboard to determine who has the most points.
|Scavenges||Gather items from nodes or collect revenge motes||1|
|Hit||Use a weapon against opponents||1|
|Successful Traps||Opponent sets off your trap||2|
|Kill||Contribute to a kill||5|
|Final Survivor||Be the last survivor||50|
- Final Survivor
- Splendid Chest
- All Others
- Rewards during Cutthroat Politics
- Support Tokens 3 (if Final Survivor)
- Support Tokens 2 (if not the Final Survivor)
- Chance of Desert Rose Skin
- At the start of the match, if possible, grab the Pistol immediately, and keep it with you at all times. Save the shots and only use it if a player is intent on killing you. This weapon can be considered overpowered as it almost instantly kills any player you wish, and it even has 2 charges.
- If another player had grab a pistol, grab an arrow immediately and proceed to use Head Shot to kill off the other player, note that you will have a 2 and 3/4 seconds of charge time before your arrow is shot.
- Once the match start, keep pressure on the player to force the use of the pistol as the first 3 mins you would re-spawn if you were to die.
- You don't need to bother killing other players unless they are a danger to you, since points don't matter; the last survivor is the winner.
- Therefore, when the match begins, focus on finding as many Passifloras to gain Rations (be wary of suspicious-looking Passifloras in the middle of a camp which might be traps from other players). You can stock up to 10 charges of Rations.
- Stay in an open area where you cannot get surrounded by Karkas summoned by Mist Walkers (dead players). Keep looking around you and Sprint away fast if someone spawns a Karka. If you are near the sea, you can jump into it too (provided it has no sharks or other hostile creatures), since Karkas cannot swim.
- The safest and easiest way to win is to just hide somewhere far from camps and let the other players kill themselves, and wait for them to run out of Rations while you're fully stocked up. Use a Ration every time you tick down to around 300 health left (just in case you're attacked by a Mist Walker).
- When there are only a few survivors left, and if you have a Pistol, this is the time to use it. Shoot anyone you see, as they'll probably try to kill you to be the last survivor themselves.
- As Mist Walker (or player) using traps directly on top of other players will not set off the trap immediately. Try to lay the trap in front of where they are moving for immediate results.
- If the timer runs out, the top scoring player will be declared the winner. This is almost impossible to occur, given the limited number of rations on the map, the increasing intensity of hunger, and the fact that remaining rations on the map disappear near the end (around the 4-minute remaining mark), but it is possible for players who have a full stock of rations at this point to survive until the timer runs out if they take no other damage.
- Any area that is revealed or Point of Interest that is unlocked while in the activity are retained upon leaving the activity, making it possible to complete most of Southsun Cove, excluding waypoints, while inside.
- During the last Beta Weekend a similar game was implemented called Hunger Royale.
- Inspiration for this game likely came from the Battle Royale and The Hunger Games franchises.
- A Polar Bear can be found sitting on its rear near Ember Passage during the activity.
- Primary article: Southsun Survival (achievements)
- Historical achievements
|Survival Survivor (Historical)||Support Evon Gnashblade||5|
|Complete games of Southsun Survival.You made it out alive.||1 Game Played||1|
|5 Games Played||1|
|15 Games Played||3|
|Southsun Survival: Master Marksman (Historical)||Support Evon Gnashblade||10|
|Use Head Shot successfully against opponents in Southsun Survival.Right between the eyes!||1 Successful Head Shots||1|
|5 Successful Head Shots||4|
|10 Successful Head Shots||5|
|Southsun Survival: High Scorer (Historical)||Support Evon Gnashblade||5|
|Earn points while playing Southsun Survival.You're legendary.||1 Points Earned||1|
|100 Points Earned||1|
|1,000 Points Earned||1|
|2,500 Points Earned||2|
|Southsun Survival Regular (Historical)||Support Evon Gnashblade||0|
|Participate in 6 rounds.Only the strong survive.
||6 Games Played||0|