Attributes are characteristics which improve character and pet effectiveness in combat. There are 15 core attributes, plus one additional profession-specific attribute. The base value for each attribute is the same for all professions, with the exception of Health, which is profession-specific.
Attributes are primarily increased by the attribute combinations of the equipment worn by the character. Many traits and skills can give bonuses to attributes as well, and in PvE and WvW they can also be increased through the use of consumables. When a higher level character is in a lower level zone, attributes are reduced via Dynamic Level Adjustment.
There are four primary attributes: two offensive and two defensive. Primary attributes have a base value that grows with character level, rising every level until character level 10 and every even level thereafter. The base value starts at 37 for a level 1 character and increases to a total of 1000 at level 80. This progression is shown in detail in the table to the right. For a detailed breakdown, see level rewards.
- Power: Increases outgoing direct damage.
- Precision: Increases Critical Chance.
- Toughness: Increases Armor.
- Vitality: Increases Health.
In contrast to primary attributes, the five secondary attributes have a base value of 0 and do not automatically increase as a character gains levels.
- Concentration: Increases Boon Duration.
- Condition Damage: Increases the damage done by inflicting conditions.
- Expertise: Increases Condition Duration.
- Ferocity: Increases Critical Damage.
- Healing Power: Increases all outgoing healing your character does, including self heals.
The six derived attributes are calculated from the primary and secondary attributes and statistics from gear and profession. These attributes are generally not directly available on equipment or as part of attribute combinations.
- Armor: Decreases incoming direct damage. Increased by Toughness and Defense.
- Boon Duration: Increases the duration of all applied boons. It has a base value of 0%, and is increased by Concentration (15 Concentration = 1% Boon Duration).
- Critical Chance: Increases critical hit chance. At level 80, it has a base value of 5%, and is increased by Precision (21 Precision = 1% Critical Chance).
- Critical Damage: Increases critical hit damage. It has a base value of 150%, and is increased by Ferocity (15 Ferocity = 1% Critical Damage).
- Condition Duration: Increases the duration of all inflicted conditions. It has a base value of 0%, and is increased by Expertise (15 Expertise = 1% Condition Duration).
- Health: The character's maximum health. Base value is determined by profession and increases with level. Increased by Vitality (1 Vitality = 10 Health).
A character's sixteenth core attribute is specific to his or her profession. Similarly to secondary attributes, profession attributes do not automatically improve as a character gains levels, nor can they be improved by equipment, unlike primary and secondary attributes. In fact, profession attributes can only be increased by equipping traits in the corresponding specialization.
- Attunement Recharge Rate: Reduces the recharge of the Elementalist's four elemental attunements.
- Shatter Skill Recharge Rate: Reduces the recharge on the Mesmer shatter skills.
- Life Force Pool: Increases the size of a Necromancer's life force pool.
- Tool Belt Recharge Rate: Reduces the recharge on all Engineer tool belt skills.
- Pet Attribute Bonus: Improves a Rangers' pets' attributes.
- Steal Recharge Rate: Reduces the recharge of the Thief's steal ability.
- Virtue Recharge Rate: Reduces the recharge on all Guardian virtues.
- Burst Recharge: Reduces the recharge of Warrior burst skills.
Note that Revenants do not have a profession attribute.
These attributes are only useful in specific situations, or are not useful in combat at all.
- Agony Resistance: Improves resistance against Agony; only relevant inside Fractals of the Mists. Represented in the hero panel.
- Gold Find: Increases gold gain. Part of account bonuses.
- Karma Gain: Increases karma gain. Part of account bonuses.
- Magic Find: Improves loot quality. Part of account bonuses, and represented in the hero panel.
- XP Gain: Increases experience gain. Part of account bonuses.
The following attributes are not considered part of the core attributes, and are neither available through attribute combinations nor represented in any panel.
- Weapon Strength: Increases outgoing direct damage. Found only on weapons.
- Defense: Increases Armor. Only attainable from armor pieces and shields.
- Endurance: A character's maximum endurance.
- Endurance Gain: Increases Endurance gain. It has a base value of 5%, and can be increased up to 10%.
- Movement Speed: The character's maximum movement speed.
- Outgoing Healing Effectiveness: Improves outgoing healing applied to others. Note that, unlike Healing Power, this doesn't apply to self-healing. Gained from several traits, runes, and nourishments.
- Before the September 2014 Feature Pack, a player would receive a small increase of attribute values with each level up, instead of a larger increase every 6 levels. Additionally, the base values for primary attributes received a small boost from 916 to 926 at level 80.