The Shadow Behemoth is a gargantuan nightmare creature and World boss from the Underworld who breaks into the world of Tyria through the Godslost Swamp in Queensdale, near the sunken Temple of the Ages. In combat, it creates portals to the Underworld that summon shades and aatxes. Killing it is the final objective of the Secrets in the Swamp meta event and a Demonic Chest spawns upon its death.
- Defeat the shadow behemoth (15) [Group Event]
- The Shadow Behemoth roars, summoning thirteen Portals to the Underworld and becoming untargetable. When the portals are destroyed, it uses the Shadow Barrage attack and becomes targetable again after a few seconds.
- Annihilation - Spawns three large area of effect fields that pulse every second, dealing damage.
- Chaos Rift - Point-blank area of effect that appears as purple mist around the base of the Shadow Behemoth, dealing damage over time to enemies standing within it.
- Undead Breath - The Shadow Behemoth slams its claws down, dealing damage and knocking back in an area of effect.
- Shadow Barrage - Missiles fly out and explode, dealing damage and knocking down in an area of effect.
- Concept Art
Art by Kekai Kotaki.
- Bosses: Dispelling Shadows — Close the portals opened by the Shadow Behemoth in less than 20 seconds. (10 )
- The Tyrian Service Medal: Queensdale Service Ribbon — Defeat the Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale.
- Skyscale Lost: Skyscale Lost—Shadow Behemoth — Rescue your Skyscale from the Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale.
- Mad Armory: Last Rites: Ghostly Shadow Essence — While under the ghostly aura of certain Halloween foods, vanquish the Shadow Behemoth and loot its chest.
- Nevermore III: The Raven Staff: Chase the Spirit through the Ages — Use the Subtle Spyglass with the Spirit Containment Unit in your inventory to see the true nature of the raven that appears in the ruins of the Temple of the Ages after defeating the Shadow Behemoth.
- Twilight III: Dusk: Underworld Murk — Use the Gloominator to capture the murk near the Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale.
- Nevermore IV: The Raven Spirit: Chaos Treatment — Stand in the Shadow Behemoth's Chaos Rift in Queensdale with your Raven Egg to prepare it for the chaos of the Mists.
- Sunrise I: The Experimental Daysword: World Defender — Defeat the Shadow Behemoth as he attempts to cross over from the Underworld.
- Howler III: Howl: Underworld Shadow — Found in the treasure chest after defeating the Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale.
- The Flameseeker Prophecies III: The Chosen: Containing the Underworld — Bring an Anthology of Heroes to the defeat of the Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale.
- HOPE IV: The Catalyst: Dhuum-Touched Crystalline Phial — Corrupt a Pure Crystalline Phial in your inventory by defeating the Shadow Behemoth when it arises in Godslost Swamp in Queensdale.
- Nevermore IV: The Raven Spirit: Phantom Residue — Found in the treasure chest after defeating the Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale.
- The Shadow Behemoth was showcased in the Guild Wars 2 demo at gamescom.
- Its combat mechanics were improved with the September 13th, 2013 update.
- Chaos Rifts were used by demons to travel from the mists.
- The Shadow Behemoth spawns at the beginning of night ever since the world boss timer was introduced.