Gathering is the act of collecting crafting materials from resource nodes, including metal ore from veins, wood logs from trees, and cooking ingredients from ground plants. Nodes are visible on the compass until tapped by the active character.
Before gathering, your character must equip a gathering tool of the right type and level: mining picks for ore, logging axes for wood, and harvesting sickles for plants. Levels range from copper tools for tier 1 nodes to orichalcum tools for tier 6. Standard tools start with 100 uses (50 for sickles), although higher-use tools are available at certain vendors and infinite-use tools are sometimes available from the Gem Store.
The amount and quality of materials dropped depends only on the node and the type of tool; gathering does not depend on any discipline or profession. Gathering with inferior tools always results in finding ruined resources and certain high-quality tools will generate additional resources. Rich mining veins can be gathered ten times as opposed to three and have a higher chance to give rare gems.
- 1 Gathering tools
- 2 Resource nodes
- 3 Synthesizers
- 4 Gathering modifiers
- 5 Notes
- 6 See also
- Primary article: Gathering tool
You can usually find a merchant offering gathering tools in large towns, some small ones, as well as some karma vendors, especially after completing a heart quest. A full set of these tools is offered by Outfitter in World versus World and all Master craftsmen.
At a glance
Nodes can be found randomly distributed within logical ranges, e.g. underground and rocky areas are likely to have ore or mushroom nodes, forests will have wood nodes, and farms are more likely places to find vegetables. A node farm is an area with six or more plants of same type clustered together.
|Node type||Compass icon||Main Yield||Rare Additional Yield||Harvesting tool required||Ruined resource|
|Harvesting||Ingredients|| Dandelion Blossom
||Harvesting sickles|| Ruined Plant Fiber |
Wad of Mud
|Logging||Logs|| Cinnamon Stick
|Logging axe||Ruined Log|
|Mining||Ore||Gemstone||Mining pick||Ruined Ore Chunk|
- Guild halls in the Guild Workshop after appropriate upgrades.
- Eternal Battlegrounds in World versus World, by making a circuit of Keeps, Towers and Resource camps owned by your world.
Nodes are distributed randomly in each zone among a number of pre-set locations and redistributed any time a new instance is created, e.g. after a game update or server maintenance. Most nodes can be used by each character on an account and will reset (for that character) a few hours after gathering.
- Some nodes take approximately 23 hours to reset, including permanent rich metal veins, node farms, and those that produce Orichalcum Ore or Ancient Wood Logs.
- Each account is limited to gathering three Blooming Passiflora nodes per day. Each character is limited to gathering 15 Passiflora nodes per day.
- Temporary rich metal veins can be used in each instance of the same zone.
Required tools, by zone level
|Tool prefix||Applicable area level|
- Some zones include resources with different level requirements, e.g. Darksteel tools can be used in most parts of Mount Maelstrom, while some nodes require mithril tools.
- The strength of the the master tools obtained as personal story rewards depends on the level of the story: a steel-equivalent tool from the L15 story, darksteel at L35, and an orichalcum-equivalent from the L60 story.
In addition to the items listed below, harvesting terrestrial plants will occasionally yield:
Dedicated Gardner (DG) items are harvested to complete the Dedicated Gardener achievement.
|Iron Harvesting Sickle|
|Node name||Possible crop|
|Clam|| Clam |
|Herb Sprouts|| Bay Leaf |
Head of Garlic (DG)
|Spinach||Spinach Leaf (DG)|
|Strawberry Patch||Strawberry (DG)|
|Taproots|| Beet |
|Mithril Harvesting Sickle|
|Node name||Possible crop|
|Blooming Passiflora|| Passion Fruit (DG) |
Passion Flower (guaranteed)
|Butternut Squash||Butternut Squash (DG)|
|Cayenne Pepper||Cayenne Pepper (DG)|
|Cluster of Herbs|| Head of Garlic (DG) |
Tarragon Leaves (DG)
|Leeks|| Green Onion |
|Passiflora|| Passion Fruit (DG) |
Passion Flower (low chance)
|Verdant Herbs|| Clove (DG) |
Head of Garlic (DG)
Tarragon Leaves (DG)
|Winter Root Vegetables|| Beet |
|Axe Material||Node name||Log||Extras|
|Copper||Aspen, Ekku, Kertch||Green Wood Log|| Amber Pebble |
|Iron||Gummo, Mimosa, Snow Cherry||Soft Wood Log|| Cinnamon Stick |
Master Logging Axe (Level 15)
|Fir, Tukawa||Seasoned Wood Log|| Hidden Cache |
|Darksteel||Banyan, Inglewood, Pine||Hard Wood Log||Hidden Hoard|
Master Logging Axe (Level 35)
|Baoba, Cypress, Red Oak, Palm, Mebahya||Elder Wood Log|| Hidden Trove |
Master Logging Axe (Level 60)
|Ancient, Orrian||Ancient Wood Log|| Hidden Treasure |
Special resource nodes also appear during certain events. Many of these nodes can also be obtained for your home instance, after obtaining the relevant upgrade via the Living Story, purchased from a laurel vendor, or completing an achievement.
Any tier gathering tool (even copper) may be used on any synthesizer, but it appears that higher tier gathering tools are more likely to produce higher tier materials.
- All synthesizers (except see next note) only produce items of same tier or lower as the harvesting sickle being used.
- It's the same for the leather, lumber, and cloth nodes, except mithril implements can give tier six materials.
Chef crafting items that require 75 crafting points to use can be obtained with copper tools, even though they are technically tier 2.
WvWWorld versus World Synthesizers randomly produce materials up to tier 6. However, tier 6 materials are so rare that it may not justify the cost of regular use of tier 6 (orichalcum) gathering tools. (Drop Analysis requested) They are located inside every objective ( ). 2 in camps. 3 in towers. 4 in keeps (and castle). Each character on an account may use these independently.
Guild Synthesizers are located near the scribe in guild halls. They have the same appearance and operate in the same manner as those in WvW except they may be upgraded to produce higher tier materials and greater quantities. They also may produce unique materials not found elsewhere:
- Shimmering Crystal only from Ore Synthesizers in Lost Precipice, used to craft Shimmering weapons and Ornate Guild armor.
- Tenebrous Crystal only from Ore Synthesizers in Gilded Hollow, used to craft Tenebrous weapons and Ornate Guild armor.
Guild Synthesizers initially produce the lowest tiers of materials. However, they may be upgraded.
|1||Tiers 1 or 2||green or soft||copper or iron||jute or wool||rawhide or thin|
|2||add Tiers 3 and 4||add seasoned||add silver||add cotton||add coarse|
|3||add Tiers 5 and 6||add hard||add gold||add linen||add rugged|
|4||-||add elder||add platinum||add silk||add thick|
|5||-||add ancient||add mithril||add gossamer||add hardened|
Each Guild Synthesizer initially produces one material per day. However, the quantity may be upgraded.
|Upgrade||Plant, Cloth & Leather||Ore & Lumber|
|Synthesis Output 1||1||4|
|Synthesis Output 2||2||6|
|Synthesis Output 3||2||8|
|Synthesis Output 4||3||10|
Guild hall generators reset once per day, at server reset (00:00).
There are several ways to increase the chance at extra resources when gathering. Some stack with other effects while others do not. There are two types of gathering bonuses: those that increase the chance at an additional strike, and those that increase the chance of finding rare materials.
|Gathering Boost|| Gathering Booster
Enchanted Reward Boost
|Additional strike||33%||Gain swiftness when gathering. Stacks with Item Booster (effect).|
|Item Booster|| Item Booster
Item Booster (masterwork)
Enchanted Reward Boost
Candy Corn Gobbler
|Additional strike||33%||Gain swiftness when gathering. Stacks with Gathering Boost.|
|Guild Gathering Boost||Guild Gathering Banner||Rare material||10%||Does not stack with other guild banner effect.|
|Guild Gathering Banner Boost|| Guild Gathering and Swiftness Banner
Guild Heroes Banner
|Rare material||15%||Does not stack with other guild banner effect.|
|Guild Gathering Boost||Guild Enhancement: Critical Harvesting||Rare material||6%-20%||Stacks with other effects|
|Bonus Weekend Event||Automatic||Additional strike||33%||Available only during bonus weekend events|
|Glyph of Bounty|| Gem Store-derived item
Acquired from Shifting Sand Mining Pick
|Additional strike||33%||Due to some uncertain reasons this glyph gives about 75% chance for the 1st extra gathering strike and about 5-10% for the 2nd or 3rd extra strikes from the same node, while the other extra gathering strike bonuses are giving the exact 33% number for all three possible extra strikes. The glyph effect also stacks with at least one other extra gathering strike bonus, giving about 95% chance for the 1st extra gathering strike and about 40% for the 2nd or 3rd extra strikes from the same node|
|Gatherer (no longer available)||World versus World bonus||Additional strike||2%-20%||Temporary bonus based on world score|
Notes on additional strikes
When you receive an extra strike on a node, you get to gather from the node an additional time. There are certain details and limits:
- Some nodes cannot receive additional strikes:
- All rich metal veins
- All home instance nodes except for those from the Black Lion Garden Plot Deed (which do receive extra strikes)
- Guild hall synthesizers
- Orrian Oysters
- Primordial Orchids planted by the player (see A Henge Away from Home)
- Nodes planted in the Hidden Garden (see Kudzu III: Leaf of Kudzu)
- There is a limit of three additional strikes per node. For example, normal metal nodes have a hard cap of six strikes per node.
- Nodes with a per-day harvest limit (such as Bloodstone Crystals) interact differently with extra strikes:
- The last node in a node farm will never give bonus strikes, and harvesting from the last node will deactivate any bonus strikes you have left on other nodes.
- Gathering will be interrupted if swapping weapons.
- Gathering behaves like a skill that requires you to be within a certain range of a node; it can be interrupted by control effects.
- Gathering resources from a guild hall have separate daily limits for each stage of their upgrade progress. When a node has been gathered in a guild hall, that node will be consumed for all guilds at the same upgrade progress for that node, but not for guild halls in which that node is at a different upgrade stage.
- Gathering resources in WvW does not deplete the synthesizers in geographically equivalent objectives on other maps. Control over objectives changing to a different team will not affect the nodes either. Nodes can be gathered even if the objective is controlled by an enemy team.