Samarog is the third boss in Bastion of the Penitent. This mysterious entity is a former prisoner of the Bastion.
Samarog's origins and why it was locked up in the Bastion of the Penitent remain unknown. Scholar Glenna theorizes, however, that Samarog and other inmates of the bastion may have been political prisoners whom the mursaat wished to sway to become their servants via alternating between bribing them with promises of power and breaking their spirits with intense mental and physical torture if they showed any sign of resistance.
The mursaat eventually came to view Samarog as an exceptional inmate, turning it into the kingpin of the prison. In exchange for privileges, Samarog was tasked with watching over the other inmates, a duty it carried out eagerly during the mursaat's absence. Following a prison riot where several inmates tried to break free from the bastion, Samarog used the environment to its advantage to ambush several rioters and slaughtered them without mercy. During this time it enslaved the jotun Guldhem and the human Rigom under its will, tying their lifeforce into its own. After the carnage, Samarog continued watching over the now mostly empty prison and killing anyone it came across.
In 1330 AE, Scholar Glenna and a group of raiders entered the bastion and ran into Samarog while exploring the area. Samarog attacked the raiders with its two slaves, but the trio were ultimately felled after a fierce battle. The raiders, who had never seen a creature like Samarog before, were left with more questions than answers in the aftermath of the battle.
- For walkthrough, see: Bastion of the Penitent#Samarog
- The Warden
- Spear of Aggression
- Spear of Revulsion
- Effigy Pulse - "Samarog's spears pulse damage in an area around them because they're pure evil."
- Fanatical Resilience - 100% damage reduction while a player is pinned.
- Fixate: Samarog - Every 10% of its HP, Samarog fixates onto a player the farthest from him.
- Claw - Samarog claws at the target, attempting to rend flesh from bone.
- An auto-attack, swiping in front for a moderate amount of damage with each from claw.
- Bludgeon - Samarog slams both spears down in an arcing overhead smash, damaging and knocking down targets.
- Samarog extends his spears and slams it into a random target dealing a massive amount of damage and Knockdown.
- Brutal Aura - Samarog is so massively intimidating, it hurts. A lot and often.
- A passive damage-dealing effect which comes into effect as soon as Samarog is engaged in combat.
- Brutalize - Blinded by rage, Samarog pins and repeatedly damages a target until the target dies or Samarog is prevented from continuing.
- An attack where Samarog will repeatedly keep the target stunned and deal damage to it until his CC bar is broken.
- Inevitable Betrayal - Samarog turns allies against each other, dealing damage to those who choose not to flee from affected allies in time. You chose poorly.
- Samarog selects 2 players at random. One will receive a large orange circle that fills in (similar to Sabetha's timed bombs) with a small, green circle inside, the other with only a small green circle. They must overlap the green circles before the large circle fills in and in doing so, makes both players with the green circles temporarily invulnerable. Any players caught inside the orange circle when it fills in will take a massive amount of damage (~80% max health).
- Prisoner Sweep - Samarog whips a spear back and forth, launching all targets careless enough to be caught in the arc.
- A wide sweeping attack with a spear from the right side of Samarog that deals knockback on the fore- and back-sweep.
- Shockwave - Samarog's Impaling Stab creates a shockwave that damages and launches targets.
- Soul Swarm - The souls of slain prisoners tear at your flesh.
- Passive pulsing damage that deals 40% of your health when you stand in or beyond the spears that ring the arena.
- Spear Impact - Samarog's spear hits the ground, dealing damage in an area. The spear persists, applying fear or taunt to targets in its range.
- Samarog selects a position to place a spear. Being caught inside the AoE of the spear upon placement will cause a massive amount of damage (~80% max health).
- Stolen skills
- Primary article: Samarog's Chest
|Harsh Sentence||Bastion of the Penitent||15|
| Defeat Samarog with the challenge mote active."Stop doing this to me!"
||1 Objective completed||15|
|The Warden Will See You Now||Bastion of the Penitent||110|
| Defeat Samarog."He's taken over! He killed them!"
||1 Objective completed||10|
- Samarog has 2597 armor (1374 toughness and 1223 defense).
- Samarog has a 420 range diameter hitbox, which is considered large.
- A mechanic in the fight with Samarog originally involved a game of "poisonous hot potato" but was cut for technical reasons. Samarog would place poison on a player and have the effect stack to damage the player and the area around the affected player over time. To remove the poison, the player had to select another player and use a special action button to transfer the condition on to them, thus resetting the poison stacks. The act would put the player's transfer skill on a cooldown so they could not immediately transfer the condition to another player if they were targeted with the effect again.
- Samarog was called the Warden during development of the raid wing. Its finalized name, Samarog, is a tribute to Guild Wars 2 Creature Artist Samantha Rogers who conceptualized it and many other creatures.
- Samarog's race, while appearing demonic, has been deliberately left ambiguous for the playerbase to speculate on.
- Associated items
- Mini Samarog
- ^ Guild Chat episode 47: Bastion of the Penitent
- ^ Guild Chat episode 47: Bastion of the Penitent
- ^ Comment by Bobby Stein, Reddit.com