You will die where and when I decide!
Deimos is a being of unclear origins. Though called a demon, which are beings born of malevolent energies of the Mists, it is a manifestation of Saul D'Alessio's sins and guilt. Due to the unclear nature of demons, and the Bastion of the Penitent overlapping with the Mists, it is possible for Deimos to be both. Deimos's very body depicts Saul's guilt and sins. The arms draped around Deimos's shoulders are the arms of fallen White Mantle soldiers who had died under Saul's command, while on its chest is a carving of a mursaat glyph representing the Eye of Janthir.
Though its origins are unclear, Deimos works with the Eye of Janthir, tormenting the mursaat's valued prisoner in order to break his psyche and turn him into the mursaat's puppet while feasting on his suffering. In the depths of the Bastion of the Penitent, Deimos thrives within Saul's mind via demonic realm and within Tyria.
When a raiding party reached the heart of the bastion in 1330 AE and some of them were drawn into the demonic realm while trying to free Saul, Deimos attempted to stop them but failed. It manifested in the physical realm to continue the battle and intimidate it opponents. The demon continuously taunted Saul and the raiders and even ended up drawing the party into the demonic realm in order to finish them off there. However, Deimos was defeated for good when, against its expectations, Saul overcame his personal demons and joined the raiders' side. Following the demon's demise, the party returned to the physical realm. The victory was bittersweet, however, as Saul passed away soon after, finally freed from centuries of torment.
- For walkthrough, see: Bastion of the Penitent#Deimos
- Agent of the Unseen
- Fixates onto the player with the highest toughness.
- Devour - Deimos has consumed sins, increasing the demon's strength. Deals 2% additional damage per stack.
- Demonic Aura - Deimos pulses energy every 3 seconds, damaging all foes in range.
- Deals periodic damage to foes.
- Demonic Shockwave - Deimos slams its fists, creating a massive shockwave.
- Deimos slams its hands downwards causing a large invisible shockwave that hits multiple times dealing Knockback and moderate damage.
- Demonic Tears - Periodic spawns shown as small white circles. After a short time, will begin firing bloodstone projectiles at party members. Demonic Tears can be removed by walking on top of them, which will apply a small DoT and debuff that prevents the player from disabling further demonic tears for a short duration. Debuff is represented as a green skull over the player's head.
- Mace Smash - A basic attack with either his left or right weapon that deals moderate damage.
- Annihilate - Deimos smashes the ground, knocking back players.
- A powerful knockback that cascades from the front of Deimos to the back, launching players hit by it far away. If a player is close to the edge of the platform they may fall off and be instantly defeated.
- Mind Crush - Deimos unleashes Saul's sins, creating devastating damage. Cannot be evaded or mitigated with invulnerability.
- Channeled for 5 seconds, pulsing damage every second and killing everyone that is not standing inside Saul's protective bubble with the last pulse. Can be blocked but not evaded or absorbed with invulnerability.
- Rapid Decay - Drops a black field that deals heavy damage and expands every time a player is hit by it up to 3 times. Rapid Decay targets the player closest to Deimos excluding the fixated tank.
- Soul Feast - Deimos creates deadly zones around the room that can periodically be consumed.
- Places multiple grasping hands underneath the player that the furthest from Deimos. If Deimos walks over these grasping hands, he gains Devour.
- Stolen Skills
- Primary article: Saul's Chest
|Free at Last||Bastion of the Penitent||110|
| Defeat the demon and liberate the prisoner."I'd rather die than remain here any longer."
||1 Objective completed||10|
|Solitary Confinement||Bastion of the Penitent||15|
| Defeat the demon without the prisoner's assistance while the challenge mote is active."We are not finished with you yet."
||1 Objective completed||15|
Render by Chris Bennett.
- Concept art
- Deimos has 2597 armor (1374 toughness and 1223 defense).
- Deimos has a 140 range diameter hitbox, which is considered medium. This changes in the last 10% to a 560 range diameter hitbox.
- Deimos has 36 million hit points.
- Deimos is the god of terror in Greek mythology.
- He is the only raid boss who doesn't have a miniature version.
- Developers of the raid wing officially left it ambiguous if Deimos was a manifestation of Saul's guilt in his mindscape or a physical Mist entity (a demon) initially unrelated to him and later assigned as his tormentor. However, Creature Artist Chris Bennett who designed Deimos calls it "Saul's Demon" and states "This creature is the manifestation of the all the inner demons of the character, Saul D'Alessio." implying that both are true.
- ^ a b c Chris Bennett's ArtStation
- ^ :Scholar Glenna: Have you noticed the star fields? Felt the celestial energy? It's like this place is on the edge of our place. Like we're touching the skin of Tyria.
- ^ Shackled Prisoner: Have you come to crawl inside my head? Join the others? There's no more room.
- ^ Guild Chat episode 47: Bastion of the Penitent