- The Lockdown
(Bastion of the Penitent)
You will die where and when I decide!
Deimos is the fourth and final boss in the Bastion of the Penitent. It is a powerful demon feasting on the suffering and despair of a specific prisoner.
Deimos is a being of unclear origins. Though called a demon, which are beings born of malevolent energies of the Mists, it is a manifestation of Saul D'Alessio's sins and guilt. Due to the unclear nature of demons, and the Bastion of the Penitent overlapping with the Mists, it is possible for Deimos to be both. Deimos's very body depicts Saul's guilt and sins. The arms draped around Deimos's shoulders are the arms of fallen White Mantle soldiers who had died under Saul's command, while on its chest is a carving of a mursaat glyph representing the Eye of Janthir.
Though its origins are unclear, Deimos worked with the Eye of Janthir, tormenting the mursaat's valued prisoner in order to break his psyche and turn him into the mursaat's puppet while feasting on his suffering. In the depths of the Bastion of the Penitent, Deimos thrived within Saul's mind via demonic realm and within Tyria.
When a raiding party reached the heart of the bastion in 1330 AE and some of them were drawn into the demonic realm while trying to free Saul, Deimos attempted to stop them but failed. It then manifested in the physical realm to continue the battle and intimidate its opponents. The demon continuously taunted Saul and the raiders and even ended up drawing the party into the demonic realm in order to finish them off there. However, Deimos was defeated for good when, against its expectations, Saul overcame his personal demons and joined the raiders' side. Following the demon's demise, the party returned to the physical realm. The victory was bittersweet, however, as Saul passed away soon after, finally freed from centuries of torment.
- For walkthrough, see: Bastion of the Penitent#Deimos
- Agent of the Unseen
- Fixates onto the player with the highest toughness.
- Devour - Deimos has consumed sins, increasing the demon's strength. Deals 2% additional damage per stack.
- Form Up and Advance! - Saul bolsters morale, enabling you to move faster. Cast on all friendly targets within 1,200 units.
- Tear Instability - Closing a demonic tear has taken its toll. You are unable to close more tears while this effect persists.
- Unnatural Signet - Taking 200%[sic] increased damage.
- ?? - The burden of the demon's realm oppresses you. Stacks intensity.
- Weak Minded - Mind Crush has weakened you, causing you to take damage periodically. This ability is only mitigated by the protection of Saul's ward.
- Deals 70% of max HP as damage over 10 seconds.
- Enraged - Increases damage dealt by 200%.
- While standing in Saul's Banner, you regenerate 5% of your maximum HP per second.
- Demonic Aura - Deimos pulses energy every 3 seconds, damaging all foes in range.
- Deals periodic damage to foes.
- Demonic Shock Wave - Deimos slams its fists, creating a massive shockwave.
- Demonic Projection - The demonic tears shoot out projections at player locations. Tears can be closed by stepping into their void.
- Periodic spawns shown as small white circles. After a short time, will begin firing bloodstone projectiles at party members. Demonic Tears can be removed by walking on top of them, which will apply a small DoT and debuff that prevents the player from disabling further demonic tears for a short duration. Debuff is represented as a green skull over the player's head.
- Mace Smash - Deimos's basic attack.
- A basic attack with either his left or right weapon that deals moderate damage.
- Annihilate - Deimos smashes the ground, knocking back players.
- A powerful knockback that cascades from the front of Deimos to the back, launching players hit by it far away. If a player is close to the edge of the platform they may fall off and be instantly defeated.
- Mind Crush - Deimos unleashes Saul's sins, creating devastating damage. Cannot be evaded or mitigated with invulnerability.
- Channeled for 5 seconds, pulsing damage every second and killing everyone that is not standing inside Saul's protective bubble with the last pulse. Can be blocked but not evaded or absorbed with invulnerability.
- Rapid Decay Deimos decomposes the ground beneath a target. For each target hit, the affected area rapidly increases in size.
- Drops a black field that deals heavy damage and expands every time a player is hit by it up to 3 times. Rapid Decay targets the player closest to Deimos excluding the fixated tank.
- Soul Feast - Deimos creates deadly zones around the room that can periodically be consumed.
- Places multiple grasping hands underneath the player that the furthest from Deimos. If Deimos walks over these grasping hands, he gains Devour.
- Stolen skills
- Event Rewards
- 2 (doubled with Call of the Mists active)
- Magnetite Shard (20)
- Deimos's Coffer
- Compendium of Knowledge (with Call of the Mists active)
- 1 random piece of equipment of Exotic rarity
- A chance at the following unique drops (more than one can drop at a time):
- Assaulter's Demon Virge
- Defender's Demon Virge
- Healer's Demon Virge
- Malicious Demon Virge
- Assaulter's Demon Gavel
- Defender's Demon Gavel
- Healer's Demon Gavel
- Malicious Demon Gavel
- Assaulter's Treasured Bough
- Defender's Treasured Bough
- Healer's Treasured Bough
- Malicious Treasured Bough
- Assaulter's Burden
- Defender's Burden
- Healer's Burden
- Malicious Burden
- Chest of Gloves of the Obedient
- Mini Ragged White Mantle Figurehead
- Mini White Mantle Figurehead
Render by Chris Bennett.
- Concept art
Stats of encounter relevant enemies
|Deimos (under 10%)||50,049,000 1, 2|
|Saul D'Alessio (drunkard)||5,013,810||300|
|Saul D'Alessio (thief)||3,932,400||300|
|Saul D'Alessio (gambler)||2,516,736|
|Saul D'Alessio (gambler, split in 4)||252,384|
|Saul D'Alessio (friendly)||157,296|
- 1 Deimos's maximum health goes up in the demonic realm, but he spawns with 10% of max value in the second phase, so he only has 5,004,900 HP.
- 2 This value is the same in both normal and challenge mode.
- Deimos has 2597 armor (1374 toughness and 1223 defense).
- Deimos has a 140 range diameter hitbox, which is considered medium. This changes in the last 10% to a 527 range diameter hitbox.
- Deimos is the god of terror in Greek mythology.
- He is the first raid boss who does not have a miniature version.
- Developers of the raid wing officially left it ambiguous if Deimos (and other places in the area such as the Chamber of the Guilty) was real or just in Saul's head. However, Creature Artist Chris Bennett who designed Deimos calls it "Saul's Demon" and states "This creature is the manifestation of the all the inner demons of the character, Saul D'Alessio." implying that both are true.
- Deimos is voiced by Fred Tatasciore.
- Bastion of the Penitent: Free at Last — Defeat the demon and liberate the prisoner. (10)
- Bastion of the Penitent: Solitary Confinement — Defeat the demon without the prisoner's assistance while the challenge mote is active. (15)
- Associated items
- ^ a b c Chris Bennett's ArtStation
- ^ Scholar Glenna: Have you noticed the star fields? Felt the celestial energy? It's like this place is on the edge of our place. Like we're touching the skin of Tyria.
- ^ Shackled Prisoner: Have you come to crawl inside my head? Join the others? There's no more room.
- ^ Guild Chat episode 47: Bastion of the Penitent