Shattering is the primary profession mechanic of the mesmer profession. It consists of shatter skills occupying the - slots of the mechanic bar which are used to destroy any illusions the mesmer has cast prior to shattering to cause a variety of effects like confusion or daze.
There are four shatter skills, all of which are instant-cast and have different cooldowns. Activating any of them will cause all illusions run to their respective assigned targets and shatter, causing effects corresponding to the shatter skill used. Shatter skills are more powerful the more illusions the mesmer had active; for instance, Distortion will last longer for each shattered illusion.
Note that illusions will move towards their own targets e.g. the foe the mesmer targeted when casting the illusion, and not the enemy who is currently being targeted by the mesmer while activating the shatter skill. The illusions can still be killed while they are moving towards their targets, effectively preventing the shattering effect from being caused by that illusion.
 List of shattering skills
|Shatter||Mind Wrack||1||15||Destroy all your clones and phantasms, damaging nearby foes.|
|Cry of Frustration||2||30||Destroy all your clones and phantasms, confusing nearby foes.|
|Diversion||3||45||Destroy all your clones and phantasms, dazing their target.|
|Distortion||6||60||Destroy all your clones and phantasms, gaining Distortion for each one shattered.|
- Rending Shatter - Shattering illusions inflicts vulnerability on nearby foes.
- Shattered Concentration - Shatter skills also remove a boon on hit.
- Restorative Illusions - Heal a small amount when you shatter illusions.
- Shattered Conditions - Using a shatter skill removes a condition from you and allies around you.
- Vigorous Revelation - Shattering illusions grants vigor to nearby allies.
- Each point in Illusions reduces the recharge time of shatter skills by 5%.
- Illusionary Retribution - All Shatter skills inflict confusion.
- Illusionary Invigoration - Recharge all of your shatter skills when your health drops below the threshold.
- Illusionary Persona - Shattering illusions creates the shatter effect on you as well.
- Shattered Strength - Shattering illusions grants you might per illusion.
- Maim the Disillusioned - Enemies hit by shatter skills are inflicted with torment.