Shattering is the primary profession mechanic of the mesmer profession. It consists of shatter skills occupying the - slots of the mechanic bar which are used to destroy any illusions the mesmer has cast prior to shattering to cause a variety of effects like confusion or daze. Functionality for these skills unlock as players level. F3 unlocks at level 17, F4 at level 19.
There are four shatter skills, all of which are instant-cast and have different cooldowns. Activating any of them will cause all illusions run to their respective assigned targets and shatter, causing effects corresponding to the shatter skill used. However, Distortion causes all illusions to shatter immediately without running towards their targets. Shatter skills are more powerful the more illusions the mesmer had active; for instance, Distortion will last longer for each shattered illusion.
Note that illusions will move towards their own targets e.g. the foe the mesmer targeted when casting the illusion, and not the enemy who is currently being targeted by the mesmer while activating the shatter skill. The illusions can still be killed while they are moving towards their targets, effectively preventing the shattering effect from being caused by that illusion.
List of shattering skills
|Shatter||Mind Wrack||1||12||Destroy all your clones and phantasms, damaging nearby foes.|
|Cry of Frustration||2||25||Destroy all your clones and phantasms, confusing nearby foes.|
|Diversion||3||38||Destroy all your clones and phantasms, dazing their targets.|
|Distortion||6||50||Destroy all your clones and phantasms, gaining distortion for each one shattered.|
- Rending Shatter - Shatter skills inflict vulnerability on hit.
- Shattered Concentration - Shatter skills also remove a boon on hit.
- Mental Anguish - Shatter skills deal more damage. This damage increase is doubled against foes that are not activating skills.
- Bountiful Disillusionment - When you use a shatter, you will gain stability. You and nearby allies gain boons based on which shatter was used.
- Protected Phantasms - Phantasms gain distortion briefly upon creation. Illusions gain protection when you activate a shatter skill.
- Restorative Illusions - Heal yourself and lose conditions when you use a shatter skill.
- Illusionary Retribution - Shatter skills inflict confusion on hit.
- Persistence of Memory - Shattering a phantasm recharges all phantasms by a small amount.
- Shattered Strength - Shattering illusions grants you might per illusion.
- Maim the Disillusioned - Shatter skills inflict torment on hit.
- Master of Misdirection - Confusion you inflict lasts longer. Reduces recharge of shatter skills.
- Master of Fragmentation - Your shatter skills are improved.