Guild Wars 2 Wiki talk:Projects/On Wiki of Gold
- 1 Templates for Novice editors
- 2 Archive link
- 3 Page series suggestion
- 4 Suggestion: Standalone Armor (Set 239)
- 5 Project maintainer seeks same for collaboration
- 6 Suggestion: wvw objective improvement and tactics pages (war chest items) (Set 419)
- 7 Suggestions from wiki Discord
- 8 Nodes (Sets 519 & 567)
- 9 Suggestion: Story instance details (Sets 556 & 563)
- 10 Suggestion: Black Lion Garden Plot related effects and plants
- 11 Suggestion: Review stat combinations and their related pages
- 12 Suggestion: Invert main page so that new entries are added at the top
- 13 Suggestion: Add the twin largos articles from the new raid in one of the sets (Set 586)
- 14 Ooops
- 15 Suggestion: Suspicious Location (Set 607)
- 16 Suggestion: Cosmetic auras
- 17 Suggestion: Frequently Asked Questions
- 18 Suggestion: Halloween "Story" Related Article
- 19 Event: Adventure Calendar! (Sets 640-670)
- 20 Suggestion: Page for hatchling mobs' knockback
- 21 Suggestion: Create new article "On Point" (Set 721)
- 22 Suggestion: Locations for Jahai Bluffs Chest (Set 723)
- 23 Suggestion: Bounties
- 24 Suggestion: Forum Highlands
- 25 Suggestion: WvW Objectives Update
- 26 Suggestion: Hay Bale (WvW) (Set 721)
- 27 Suggestion: Add trivia or a note to any article
- 28 WvW Pages
- 29 Suggestion: Corsair armor
Templates for Novice editors
Might be nice to link to this page or this one for the benefit of new editors. Maybe a lot of this is obvious to most people, but I'd been figuring out how to do stuff by clicking edit to look at others' formatting, and having a reference is much nicer! (Especially looking for templates.) Or maybe I'm just silly for not clicking the 'how to help' link sooner? — Teaniel.9052 (talk) 18:06, 4 October 2016 (UTC)
- The former is pretty advanced for newcomers, and the latter is linked below every editing window. I'm open to adjusting the intro, so I guess I'll add something about copying other pages being an excellent way to start out. Also, now people can see these links on this talk page! -- Dashface 18:19, 4 October 2016 (UTC)
- As a novice editor, I also often copy other pages to borrow the formatting (since I'm not familiar with html) and structure of the article. Can we somehow mark or curate a list of pages which are exceptionally good? ie: well-structured, thorough documentation, and are really complete. This would help set a precedent for future pages to follow, and may provide good starting points for those of us who are still new. AnastashaRomanov (talk) 14:47, 26 October 2018 (UTC)
Is there a specific reason why I couldn't find the archive for these pages? Was it just forgotten or can I not read? -Darqam 14:12, 29 November 2016 (UTC)
- It wasn't linked anywhere. Though there's no specific requirement to keep an archive of the project page, I've been keeping one here anyway. -- Dashface 14:18, 29 November 2016 (UTC)
- Oh of course there's no rule for it, I just remembered there being a page I saw on here at some point and couldn't recall the name. "Call Target" turns out to be what I wanted. Thanks. -Darqam 14:21, 29 November 2016 (UTC)
Page series suggestion
Would put forth notion for more Season 1 articles. In looking for sources on Champion Aetherblade Cannoneer, was there not only the video I linked but that uploader has videos on nearly every achievement and instance from Season 1, as well as the holidays from that period. I'm intending on going through them one by one but help via WoG is welcomed. There's also this playlist, this one, and lastly this one (in order of, imo, usefulness). I doubt many if any will be helpful in finding skills or stolen skills but everything else, perhaps, we can document. Might even be able to get some screenshots from the higher quality ones. Been trying to see if I could find a primarily thief playthrough playlist. No luck. Konig (talk) 22:40, 10 June 2017 (UTC)
- As you know, we've been working through a lot of these. If you have any specific suggestions for NPCs or other historical content that you'd like help or motivation for, please feel free to list them. -- Dashface 15:25, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: Standalone Armor (Set 239)
Not sure if you have this on your radar already, but List of standalone armor is out-of-date and easily prone to becoming out-of-date. It'd make a great article to include here every so often. :) --Idris (talk) 23:33, 12 June 2017 (UTC)
- Agreed. We had this for Set 239 following your comment, and it must be about time to do it again. -- Dashface 15:25, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
Project maintainer seeks same for collaboration
As you may have noticed by the quiet January we had, my energy to continue solo has run low. I seek someone to share the workload of assigning and (more importantly) checking Sets. I would like to alternate on a near-daily basis with this lucky somebody, and you would check the Sets that you assign.
What you get:
- The ability to choose Sets, which is what makes it all worthwhile. Shine the spotlight on the wiki gaps that you care about most.
What you give:
- Time. Assigning Sets is fun but not always immediate if you're trying to find unusual gaps. Special:WantedPages will only get you so far. Simply using the wiki will uncover some interesting topics, but digging will uncover more.
- Time. Checking Sets is the bigger timesink. You must ensure that each contribution to a Set you assigned is "accurate, clear, coherent, relevant to the topic, and improve[s] the article". You do not have to actually duplicate the field research, but make sure the information seems feasible. Rejecting a contribution will be rare, but can happen if the edit is not to the article itself (or an article it links to created after the Set was) or is simply formatting or reordering the information. You can still thank a contributor for this work; its just not eligible for gold distribution.
- Your ability to participate in the project as a contributor. You'd be partly running the show, and that rules you out for prizes. This means that you won't be able to earn any further gold or gems for your efforts.
If you're interested in this being you and have made at least 500 edits to any namespace on this wiki in the past year, send me in-game mail to discuss this privately with me. My in-game name is "Delsea". I will endeavour to select someone based on a variety of qualifications and past OWoG project support. -- Dashface 14:05, 6 March 2018 (UTC)
- Just so you know, the game's not recognising "Delsea" as a mail target. Your account name Dash.9340 works though. --Idris (talk) 09:11, 17 March 2018 (UTC)
- This is I believe due to the sender being on NA/EU, and the receiver being on the other (EU/NA). Mailing across the pond has to use account name instead of character name. udas 17:21, 17 March 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: wvw objective improvement and tactics pages (war chest items) (Set 419)
Currently there are no articles for war chest and its contents. The most information regarding the objective upgrades (improvements and tactics) is in the related schematic articles. This made more sense when scribing was the only source of them, however nowadays skirmish chests (Improvement and tactic packs) are a major method of acquisition for war chest items. It may be clearer if there was a 'War Chest Item' category in the wiki. Naturally, scribing in its complexity makes a lot of (unnecessary?) layers to this information. Whether adding another page layer is the best solution, or if adding these pages is in the scope of this project, I am not sure, but the current page structure doesn't seem right.
I try to explain through an example: Packed dolyaks. A guild can acquire an improvement like Packed dolyaks in two ways: scribing the schematic and then processing it in the Assembly device to be added into their War Chest OR choosing Improvement and tactic packs from skirmish chests, which give gizmos that can produce an equivalent improvement into the War chest without a scribe involvement. Now that the main wiki page of the improvement is the schematic, we can't technically add the alternative method of acquisition for the improvement there (as the gizmos don't give schematics but the actual war chest item) and the details may get swamped with scribing info.
The pages wiki currently has related to this item are
- Scribing: Packed Dolyaks (How to unlock this for the guild)
- Schematic: Packed Dolyaks (Recipe for scribing the schematic)
- Packed Dolyak Improvement (Gizmo from Improvement and tactic packs)
The missing page
- Packed Dolyaks (War chest item)
The pattern is the same for all wvw improvements and tactics. Any references to the guild rank permissions or guild upgrade level that are requirements to being able to install the improvement/tactic are also missing from current articles. Cinnamonfox (talk) 10:31, 17 March 2018 (UTC)
Suggestions from wiki Discord
Stephane posted the top 25 pages visited on the wiki. I think some of these could do with improvement - whether or not we do this under the banner of On Wiki of Gold is up to you guys - they might be too complex.
- From past 1 year: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/439163526616055821/456906479719677986/unknown.png
- From past 3 years: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/439163526616055821/456907754561339403/unknown.png
Summary of the non-obvious ones:
- Legendary armor - maybe the precursor pieces should be at the top of the recipe tables? Gallery links only to PvE ones at the moment.
- Mounts - repetition in Type section - skills are named in the table above, solely having quotes looks odd. (1: Set 493)
- List of pet locations - currently enormous. Might be a smarter way of doing this. (1: Set 490)
- Ascended trinket - any way to avoid table overload?
- Ascended armor - again walls of tables
- Equipment acquisition by stats - ugly nightmare
- Fractals of the Mists#Rewards - out of date section has been out of date for years. Would be great to get some research done.
I'd be happy even if we only managed to cleanup Mounts and Fractals. --Chieftain Alex 21:00, 14 June 2018 (UTC)
- Noted! There are some meaty ones in here. -- Dashface 17:21, 10 July 2018 (UTC)
Nodes (Sets 519 & 567)
I've noticed a lot of area pages are missing resource nodes, which by proxy, means the object pages for the nodes are sometimes found wanting in terms of locations. I've made a list of all area pages that don't have resource nodes here. I believe I've weeded out all of the story/dungeon/raid locations but one or two might have slipped in, I'll double check in a bit, just wanted to drop it off here first. Also I feel like Flame Temple Tombs could benefit from having the mini-dungeon stuff moved onto a sub-page and have some pictures added and such perhaps, so that could be a possible set idea, unless somebody objects. - Doodleplex 01:30, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks for posting this here. It will help me keep this in mind for when the Long Live the Lich release is better documented. -- Dashface 17:21, 10 July 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: Story instance details (Sets 556 & 563)
I was replaying Precocious Aurene on an alt and realized how sparse some of the information is. I added a couple pictures and a skill or two to foes, but I lost my combat log for other skills. Mordrem Leyleecher (phantasm) could use a picture without the Luminate, and needs all skills. I suspect other story segments may have similar issues. Maybe we could feature Story instances, similar to how we do with Renown Hearts. Adeira Tasharo (talk) 15:40, 24 August 2018 (UTC)
- Good idea. If you have further specific suggestions here, let me know. -- Dashface 15:25, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
There is an effect to show what seeds you have equipped, such as Carrying Shing Jea Orchid Seeds, which is [&Bmy/AAA=] ID 49004. The homegrown versions of the plants are different from the wild versions. For example, I'm pretty sure I have always gotten 2 of the specified produce, and although they have a chance to drop Dandelion Blossoms, they don't seem to have a chance at associated rare drops, such as sand from the cactus. Adeira Tasharo (talk) 04:28, 27 August 2018 (UTC)
- Hmmmm, okay. -- Dashface 15:25, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
I'm not sure how well it would work for Wiki of Gold, but I recently found that Recipe: Maklain's Leather Breather exists, despite not being available through the TP (even with Show Only Available removed). In creating the breather pages, I notice that at least the in-game description of Recipe: Maklain's Greaves does not match the breathers. Since it still refers to Boon Duration, I suspect it was never updated for Concentration. (P.S. It should link to Healing Power, since that's the stat, even though the description actually does say Healing.) Next time I get a book, I can start checking, but for all of the recipes and stats, that's going to be a big project. Adeira Tasharo (talk) 17:52, 1 September 2018 (UTC)
- I will have to check this out. -- Dashface 15:25, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: Invert main page so that new entries are added at the top
- I'd prefer to encourage edits to older Sets before they're archived. After all, this is their last chance in the spotlight. It's their swan song! Often, but not currently, the oldest Set is not yet archived because it has not yet been instrumental in the creation of a new article. However, if you want to reach the end of the page quickly, the Ctrl+End shortcut is effective for that. -- Dashface 17:46, 11 September 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: Add the twin largos articles from the new raid in one of the sets (Set 586)
Despite it being 10 days after the episode was released, and having many articles being created for even the smallest of things, we still have two big red links for Kenut and Nikare in the Mythwright Gambit page, a major part of the raid. ~~Trevor95251 15:03, 28 September 2018 (UTC)
- Done! -- Dashface 12:18, 28 October 2018 (UTC)
- No harm; no foul. Thanks for contributing! G R E E N E R 01:55, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: Suspicious Location (Set 607)
Suspicious Location is part of the Mad Memoires collections (the first two), and there are a number of "fake" locations on top of the 12 ghost locations. I just added a couple I know about, and recommend this page so that all fake locations can be found. Konig (talk) 21:52, 21 October 2018 (UTC)
- Done! -- Dashface 12:18, 28 October 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: Cosmetic auras
Hi Dash, saw that Cosmetic aura is a bit outdated by now (plus it's arguable whether the outfits listed qualify as having an "aura"), so I thought it'd be a fun and easy thing to work on for the wiki mercenaries. :) I was thinking of something along the lines of making its visual appearance a bit more appealing, to sort them properly and add missing auras as well as improve some pictures we have. talk 09:51, 22 October 2018 (UTC)
- To note: I've been planning on fixing all these aura pages/images up after Halloween presuming I can get a decent number of the poly infusions. Wouldn't oppose the help though. Konig (talk) 13:42, 22 October 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions is a horribly outdated article (Inc is working on it as well now). Getting more popular 'newbie' questions (for example: by checking out reddit threads for popular questions) would be very appreciated. ❄The F. Prince❄ (talk) 19:52, 24 October 2018 (UTC)
- It was already in one set and many people worked on it, so shouldn't be really outdated that much. ~SimeTalk 19:57, 24 October 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: Halloween "Story" Related Article
After looking over some stuff for mad momentos and the like, i noticed many articles havent been updated for 2018. 220.127.116.11 01:37, 30 October 2018 (UTC)
- Have these changed for 2018? -- Dashface 11:32, 30 October 2018 (UTC)
- The only changes of old content I've noticed is Kernel's dialogue when asked about forces of Joko's in Tyria - last year he mentioned Awakened along shorelines, now he mentions the portal invasions. All the "story" stuff seems 100% the same as when they've been re-added. I don't know what the "stuff" IP is referring to are though. Konig (talk) 12:00, 30 October 2018 (UTC)
Event: Adventure Calendar! (Sets 640-670)
A new event has begun: Adventure Calendar!
- How to participate: Read through the instructions at the top of the project page and then participate in the project normally by making contributions to an article specified in Sets 640-670. A new Set will be posted on each day in December.
- Event goal: Make valid contributions to at least 24 of these 31 Sets to qualify. As a reminder, edits must to be to the selected article or to any article it links to so long as that linked article was created after the Set was first assigned. (As you can see from the Archive, almost every contribution ever received has been valid.)
- Event prize: Any one giftable Gem Store item of your choice up to a value of 800 gems!
- What if there are no more meaningful contributions to be made on either of the Set's two articles? Does this limit how many people can participate?
If you feel that a Set has no more meaningful contributions left to be made on any of its articles, please notify me in a reply to this comment. I will add an additional article to the Set if needed. There is no limit on the total number of people who can participate, nor is there any need to contribute less to leave edits for other contributors. I will also monitor each Set to make sure there's plenty of opportunity for everyone.
- When is the last possible time I can start?
As participation requires you to contribute to 24 Sets in the 640-670 range, the earliest that starting will no longer be possible is when 8 or more of these have been put up, been around for a week, had their gold distributed, and been archived. The soonest that 8 could be archived is by mid-December, so get a start now so you don't miss out!
- How does this affect the 20 accumulated gems that are normally added from each contribution?
It doesn't! The normal gold and gem incentives remain for all edits this month.
- I was going to make those contributions anyway. Should I still participate?
If you're a prolific wiki editor, I completely think you deserve a thank you, and I encourage you to take credit for your work. If you're an infrequent or new editor, think of this as incentive for a month of activity!
If you have any feedback or suggestions for articles that have significant potential for improvement, please let me know. -- Dashface 14:38, 30 November 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: You have added Mistforged Glorious Hero's armor (heavy) to set Set 641. It would be nice if you can add also the Mistforged Glorious Hero's armor (light) and Mistforged Glorious Hero's armor (medium) to this set or another one. On any previous sets I think such similiar pages would have counted, but I don't want to interfere with a false statement in your Adventure Calendar. Since there are also new contributers it might be helpful to state it explicitly.
- I updated the heavy armor pieces such that they can be used as a scheme for the light and medium armor pieces, especially since the split between ascended and legendary is a bit complicated. P.S.: Light and medium screenshots are also missing. -- Tolkyria (talk) 13:56, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
- Edit: armor piece pages have already been created, only screenshots are missing. --Tolkyria (talk) 22:49, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
- During my Advent-ure, I wasn't able to find anything productive to contribute for the following sets:
- Set 638
- Set 652 (Adventure Calendar Day 13)
- Set 654 (Adventure Calendar Day 15)
Set 661 (Adventure Calendar Day 22)
- Set 662 (Adventure Calendar Day 23)
- Set 668 (Adventure Calendar Day 29)
- --— Cronos 18:41, 2 January 2019 (UTC)
To redeem your gift: Please send a mail to Dash.9340. I can confirm that you can include the value of any accumulated gems from the project if you'd like to go over 800 gems in value. Please let me know if I can share what you selected on a project subpage. It's okay if not all of your contributions have been confirmed yet; I've been swamped with work and have fallen behind on checking. I will give checking priority to any redemptions made. Thank you for the spirited involvement we've had so far this month! -- Dashface 17:56, 23 December 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: Page for hatchling mobs' knockback
Using the combat log while researching the Desert Devourers for Set 640, I noticed the hatchling variant's intrinsic self-knockback is called "Drake Hatchling". The log made it sound like an interrupt caused by the player, so I'm not sure whether it's an actual effect or a skill or what, but its name indicates that other hatchling mobs likely have it (drakes being obvious, others needing research), and there's certainly no wiki page yet. ~ Nirushuni (talk) 19:35, 11 December 2018 (UTC)
On Point was a livestreamed show ArenaNet had some staff host for Pro League, broadcasted on Twitch a few years back. It could be its own article, or a section of an existing Pro League article. In the distant future, any recordings of its few episodes or broadcasts could also be transcribed or summarized in their own articles or subpages, similar to contemporary recorded shows. --— Cronos 11:54, 18 December 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: Locations for Jahai Bluffs Chest (Set 723)
- Contents look pretty basic, barring rare drops. Looking at some of the other chests that seem somewhat similar, do we have a better way to indicate the locations? See also any number of small chests in recent releases, such as Lost Chest, Kournan Chest, Forgotten Chest. Perhaps even more so a unified approach to dealing with them? Adeira Tasharo (talk) 15:54, 21 December 2018 (UTC)
I was checking the bounties, but noticed none of the bounties and additional foes are mentioned in the foe overview on their respective area's. Should we start adding those? Palm (talk) 22:33, 30 December 2018 (UTC)
- I believe that event NPCs aren't supposed to be added to area pages cause it gets silly fast otherwise. Not 100% sure though. - Doodleplex 23:19, 30 December 2018 (UTC)
Suggestion: Forum Highlands
Suggestion: WvW Objectives Update
A lot of WvW Towers/Keeps - even SM, has missing NPC's etc. and could use some love. Also, for WvW players standard places where people are dropping siege are obvious but it might be beneficial for the wiki if we could maybe add "how to siege" section to objectives with most common siege placements? Tom Stone (talk) 00:02, 3 January 2019 (UTC)
- "How to play" the game additions are not something that should be added to pages. Articles need to be about facts and not things that are subject to change. ie: best tactical siege locations can change and have, over time. Your missing NPC's are noteworthy however.
Suggestion: Hay Bale (WvW) (Set 721)
Suggestion: Add trivia or a note to any article
Idea for set: Find something worthy of the trivia or notes section of an article and add it, including articles that don't yet have any trivia --— Cronos 23:13, 21 February 2019 (UTC)
With the mount coming out, it's probably time to examine more pages again. While I'm sure plenty of work will be done on the mount page once it's out, there are still some WvW pages out there that could use some updating, cleaning, or polishing.
- World versus world -
The "Participation" talks about playing the game instead of the actual participation points which determine your pips. (See WvW Reward Track#Increasing Participation)
Can the stub under Rewards be removed?
Rewards don't mention legendary armor or back-piece (!!)
The Interface has some interesting details like Match History and KD ratios that isn't discussed, shown, or mentioned.
The Objective upgrade page is phenomenally well done, and is linked to from the main article, but among all the text, there's no reason anyone would know to click there.Adding some pictures could help?
The Gliding (and soon to be Mounts) section is one sentence long with a redirect. Not a crime, but not ideal.
Need a mounts sectionWIP mounts section waiting for release.
Reordering sections. Why is seige after objective upgrades and not supply or before it?<s> Matchmaking sections and Scoring Sections being separate.
- <s>"Spawn" waypoints auto-repair armor
Free account note may better serve closer to the top of the page
Territory should probably be moved to the main WvW page. (Affects gliding eligibility, is influenced by capture status/ruins, could effect mounts?)
Tournament section is naively optimistic about the frequency of tournaments. Sad days.
- Does anyone know what the stub under Mechanics is talking about?
- Can any sections be shortened in favor of a "Primary article [here]" redirect? The page is exceedingly long.
- Adding pictures through out could help break up the text walls, within reason. (Objective upgrade, spawn points, UI, score/match history)
- Phrasing throughout the article changes, depending on who wrote it and how long ago. A couple grammar mistakes in pluralization or awkward phrasing.
- Under scoring/skirmishes, no mention of color denoting who won. Mention of the 1 up-1 down system is a couple sections down under "matchmaking".
So that's a lot for one page. It's really more of a wishlist. But while we're at it, let's look at other WvW pages:
- As mentioned above, the Hay Bale (WvW)
- Champion Commander Siegecrusher and his friend Champion Commander Siegerazer are confused about where they currently live or don't live. Half of them should be historical. Could also probably use some redirects, as it is really hard to find these guys if you don't know they're on Eotm now.
There's undoubtedly more.
- There was some secret related to the housing south of the red keep in EB, but trying to destroy that is an exercise in futility. It can only be affected by siege, and if you think you're going to get WvWers to cooperate while someone lobs siege near their garrison, think again. SarielV 06:57, 22 February 2019 (UTC)
- Thank you for your suggestion! I've made it part of set 707. talk 12:50, 22 February 2019 (UTC)
- I'm crossing out sections as I get to them. If others want to work on the page and feel an area has been adequately filled, feel free to cross it off the list. All sections (even crossed off ones) could use a standardized tone and cleaner formatting. Some sections that are unnamed up there could use images, but those aren't priorities.--Rain Spell (talk) 23:54, 26 February 2019 (UTC)
- Thank you for your suggestion! I've made it part of set 707. talk 12:50, 22 February 2019 (UTC)
(Reset indent) Let's make another list!
- Phrasing, as always. This page has been written and rewritten and reorganized numerous times. Formatting, while in large scale is consistent, in small scale, may be less so.
- Images. Note that we don't want an image for each individual section, but we still have large amounts of text with very little to break it up.
- Wanted in particular: the scoring UI page. Supply depots (not an EOTM or sPVP depot) or supply dolyak. A siege weapon (recommended shield gen).
- Smaller images of note that could be nice: PPK +1 indicators, Emergency Waypoint example.
- Traps and Tricks doesn't exist except as a stub/associated npcs and items. Let's make it a proper section!
- A list showing item usage. Bonus points for a nice chart.
- Veteran Scouts that reveal players aren't mentioned. Reveal players on map to associated server and stop stealth from working. Perhaps under map-specific mechanics?
- Any pictures of christmas seige/dolyaks from previous wintersdays?
- Can any sections be shortened in favor of a "Primary article [here]" redirect? The page is exceedingly long.
Suggestion: Corsair armor
"Light Corsair Leggings — [...] Thanks for adding images of a human female in these pants from both the front and behind. Like the armor set articles, I feel as though we should probably have a gallery of appearances for all races here. How similar are male charr pants to this, for example?" Source: Set 681 — January 18-24, 2019. I think, with the release of the Corsair Boots, Corsair armor can be considered as armor set. Hence it would be nice to have this as a set again: adding the screenshots to Corsair armor (light), Corsair armor (medium) and Corsair armor (heavy). --Tolkyria (talk) 22:13, 15 May 2019 (UTC)