User talk:Chieftain Alex

From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
User Chieftain Alex sig.png
Archive 1
Archive 2
Archive 3
Archive 4
Archive 5
Archive 6
Archive 7
Archive 8
Archive 9
Archive 10
Archive 11
Archive 12
Archive 13
Archive 14
Archive 15
Archive 16

What happened to Filter tables?[edit]

Maybe I'm one year to late, but I'm just curious what happened to User talk:Chieftain Alex/Archive 15#Filter tables. It would definitely help to overhaul the Attribute combinations page, somehow like this: User:Tolkyria/Sandbox4. --Tolkyria (talk) 18:15, 17 October 2018 (UTC)

I was simply asking if there was a need for them, and since there wasn't much by way of responses, I thought it wasn't worth looking into. I literally got to the stage of thinking "would this be useful?" without any implementation plan.
I've picked a random JS library and set up a superbad example using Widget:Test in my sandbox. (This particular library forces you to specify the id for each table, and the options you want - without giving it the options, the appearance is even clunkier). If we wanted a simpler appearance, like at the top of Widget:Achievement table then maybe we can sort something out. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:10, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
Lol that widget is waaayy too big. I'll take a look at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35770982/how-to-make-dropdown-list-filter-for-a-table-using-jquery or something else more lightweight. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:14, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
I vote we just have a PvE/WvW table and a PvP table beneath it. --Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:19, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
Nice, thanks for looking into it. My approach to this topic was [1] where even multiple categories are allowed. Not sure if this works on the wiki --Tolkyria (talk) 19:21, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
Added Widget:Test to User:Tolkyria/Sandbox4 to get a first impression. My first User:Tolkyria/Sandbox4#Idea was actually the other way around, clicking a button shows only this category , for example only Power as Major attribute, clicking a second button adds the second category with OR, for example Precision as a Major attribute, hence showing Maurauder and Commander (Edit: Sorry, that's AND, actually the result should be the prefixes from Berserker's up to Marshal's and Captain up to Seraph --Tolkyria (talk) 14:01, 18 October 2018 (UTC)). So I'm not sure if exclude (current widget) or include (my idea) is better. PS: Show all shows the hidden sort category from the {{yes}} and {{no}}, but this can be fixed later. --Tolkyria (talk) 10:46, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
It's okay to say it; I built the widget the wrong way around. I was watching a film at the time. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 17:07, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
Currently, the filters are connected with AND, which after trying it seems fine to me; and not as I suggested before with OR. Intuitively, an button should be ON/OFF, is this possible? For example reseting the selection just because of one wrong click seems a little bit harsh. --Tolkyria (talk) 17:56, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
It's surprisingly much more awkward to code than a simple "apply stuff sequentially or reset" ui. (Currently rows default to hidden, it adds a CSS class when you load the page/reset to show every row, and for each non-matching element it removes the class). -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:11, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
Okay got it sussed. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:25, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
Perfect, thanks! Now I'll just need to find a way to differentiate major and minor attributes, line break helps but <small> leads to unclickable text. --Tolkyria (talk) 18:36, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
Not anymore. Images now work too. (edit: and now optimised) -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:57, 18 October 2018 (UTC)

(Reset indent) Should we still go for seperated PvE+WvW and PvP tables or should we join them with the filters PvE, WvW, PvP? --Tolkyria (talk) 19:30, 18 October 2018 (UTC)

I think that now we have the filters working nicely, they should be okay. I'm really happy with how this has turned out so far. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:42, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
Indeed :). Even the table with the added PvP Builds at Attribute combinations looks nice. The release icons in the column Release might be an option to reconsider, but they produce some wierd spacings... Nevertheless enough done for today. --Tolkyria (talk) 20:34, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
I picked up some very positive initial feedback when I shared your work on the wiki discord btw, great job. Added some label options. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 21:15, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
Well, I have to bother you again. I added a second table for 1 and 2 attributes, again with filters, and split them with an parameter id for the tableid from the widget. Unfortunately the buttons from the first table are stuck after one usage. The first click filters and turns the button dark grey, the second click removes the filter, but the buttons stays dark grey; and now the button can't be clicked anymore, unless the reset button Show all is used. Strangely it appears only at the first table. The second table is fine. I hope my explanation doesn't sound to weird. --Tolkyria (talk) 12:09, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
Edit: Now really my last request: The labels definitely need to be in a box, simple plain text doesn't fit into the whole environment. I would suggest less border-radius and a different background-color. --Tolkyria (talk) 14:57, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for testing this to find bugs for me to fix :)
I forgot to specifically bind the click events to each individual table... previously when you added the second widget call, it bound a second set of events to the buttons on the first table, such that every time a button was un-clicked it was clicked twice (reverting to the unclicked, and then back to the clicked state).
I didn't like any of my tests with the coloured labels, so I've kinda matched the styles from the MediaWiki fieldset-legend-buttons (used on RecentChanges) -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 17:36, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
Moved over to native buttons. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:18, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
I really like the Table filter options: box. The box seperates the buttons and labels from just being plain text. Hence my Edit claim from above doesn't hold anymore. Native buttons are fine. They look more professional than the round corner buttons with bold font. --18:31, 19 October 2018 (UTC)

Usage 2[edit]

Thinking of where else we can use this widget, I'm thinking that List of weapon sets would be a good candidate for filter tables too. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 15:22, 20 October 2018 (UTC)

This, somehow User:Tolkyria/Sandbox4? --Tolkyria (talk) 15:49, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
I was thinking we could forget the whole column of ticks and crosses thing, and just have the filter buttons+classes. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 15:50, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
Somehow like this now? Strangely there are some filter words that turn the row background color into something else, here the pink row is caused by skin. --Tolkyria (talk) 15:57, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
Well not really "strangely", "skin" is one of the keywords from Guild Wars 2 Wiki:Color schemes. Pretty much, yeah like that. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 16:19, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
Sounds legit. Table is ready at User:Tolkyria/Sandbox4, the table style is not the best and some of the rarities might need to be corrected. Feel free to take it, if you want. --Tolkyria (talk) 17:49, 20 October 2018 (UTC)

Two weapons != set[edit]

If that's so, why would you restore Stronghold of the Faithful weapons? Having everything in a single page was fine. Also, raid standalone weapons was a better name, because raid weapons would by definition cover White Mantle weapons and other non-standalone weapons dropping across raids as well, since they're "raid weapons" too. Anyway, check this discussion.--Lon-ami (talk) 16:31, 20 October 2018 (UTC)

Quit whining, get on discord and get up to speed with the plan! -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 16:33, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
So, you just deleted Category:Lightward's weapons, because it only had 2 articles, but now you make a new category, Category:Battle for Lion's Arch weapon skins, with 2 articles, which by the way, none of those 2 are skins, they're both exotic weapons.
The talk pages are there for something, so discussion is properly recorded and everyone can see it, and Discord SHOULD NOT be a replacement, specially because anyone can come in 2 months and remake everything, without noticing the whole conversation you had in the discord.
There's a discussion here: Talk:List of non-set weapons#Purpose and definition of standalone weapons, use it.--Lon-ami (talk) 18:06, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
Alex, no one is obligated to get on Discord to discuss wiki edits. Lon-ami has placed a discussion on a relevant talk page and you can discuss there. Also the next time you block someone you're arguing with without a clearly defined reason, you're losing sysop tools.
Lon-ami, no more making or editing pages/categories related to this matter until the discussion is complete and settled to everyone's satisfaction, please. - Tanetris (talk) 18:34, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
Tanetris, I once banned my best friend on the wiki for a year, that one I regret. A ban for 2 hours means absolutely nothing to me. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 23:50, 20 October 2018 (UTC)

Charged Quarz Crystal as a recipe[edit]

If putting things into the Mystic Forge counts as a recipe, why doesn't making a Charged Quartz Crystal? It is not the same as trading to an NPC for a collection. If you know a better way to make Charged Quartz Crystal have its value calculated in the recipe cost lookup, then please let me know. --Vm0d (talk) 00:21, 26 October 2018 (UTC)--99.53.70.66 00:21, 26 October 2018 (UTC)

So you're suggesting its like a refinement recipe, where one material goes in, and one comes out, just without a discipline.
If the purpose of the edit is purely to get the output of the recipe lookup working differently, then I don't think that using the recipe template is the right way to do it. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:26, 26 October 2018 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

User Felix Omni Barnstar.png The Felix Omni High Quality Editing Barnstar
For adding the Felix Omni High Quality Editing Barnstar - Felix Omni 19:44, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
Excellent work. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:53, 8 November 2018 (UTC)

Experience from Hero Challenges[edit]

I thought I recalled not getting experience from commune hero challenges while keyfarming, but today I tried:

  • Level 2 character at Earthen Magic commune hero point.
  • Level 80 character at Earthen Magic commune hero point.
  • Level 20 character at Morgan's Orchid consumable item hero point.
  • Level 80 character at some Path of Fire commune hero point.

All of them received experience.—Karob • 22:25, 8 November 2018 (UTC)

Oh weird, how about combat ones? -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 22:53, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
Yes, I also received experience from combat hero points.—Karob • 15:59, 18 November 2018 (UTC)

Rabbit holes and cans of worms[edit]

Sometimes I toss people down rabbit holes to encourage them to explore new ideas and see what's possible. Sometimes a rabbit hole turns out to be filled with worms. Whoops. G R E E N E R 22:23, 12 November 2018 (UTC)

and each worm is labelled "Worm (Power)", "Worm (Precision)",...
No worries, since cosmetic auras aren't really of interest to me I had never looked at how the pages were structured before today. I'll probably finish these pages off before going back to the polys and moving the images. - I was having trouble figuring out which pages the links needed fixing from, but this should be simpler with less pages. -94.15.17.49 23:50, 12 November 2018 (UTC)

Infusion craft table TP buy/sell[edit]

Hey, I saw you recently changed all the infusion pages to have a new convert/tp table. I was just wondering if you could edit it so it has both a trading post buy order and trading post sell order value, as was the case in the old infusion comparison templates. At least I used it a lot to have a quick overview of them. User Judas Sig.pngudas 16:08, 22 November 2018 (UTC)

Kinda has that already when you hover over it, like every other trading post price on the wiki. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:06, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
Ah interesting I never realised that. I guess that will do as well, although at the expense of not having a quick overview and comparison. User Judas Sig.pngudas 21:48, 22 November 2018 (UTC)

Restore request[edit]

Can you restore these pages and move them to my user space?

  • [[Belinda's Greatsword (Imbued)]] to [[User:Lon-ami/Skins/Belinda's Greatsword (Imbued)]].
  • [[Fargate Opener (skin)]] to [[User:Lon-ami/Skins/Fargate Opener (skin)]].
  • [[Godskull Harpoon Gun (historical)]] to User:Lon-ami/Skins/Godskull Harpoon (skin).
  • [[Grimward (historical)]] to [[User:Lon-ami/Skins/Grimward (historical)]].

Thanks.--Lon-ami (talk) 20:07, 30 November 2018 (UTC)

Changed one of the move destinations due to recent finds.--Lon-ami (talk) 16:20, 6 December 2018 (UTC)
Added two more. I could re-create them right now with no problems, thanks to caches and archives, but I'd rather have them restored+moved instead to keep the history, specially when more users were involved.--Lon-ami (talk) 14:07, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
Having them in userspace defeats the purpose of regulating the mainspace's content. Konig (talk) 23:11, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
Until we reach the end of the discussion on the community portal, I'm with Doodle for the moment. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 23:51, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
That works for the first and the second, which were datamined, but the third and the fourth are historical and should have no problems whatsoever. They aren't even related to the unimplemented content conversation.--Lon-ami (talk) 13:08, 8 December 2018 (UTC)
Honestly, just the skin is historical, and it used the same chat links, so IMO those images should just be put in trivia of their weapon/skin - which is already done. They don't need separate pages. Konig (talk) 23:45, 8 December 2018 (UTC)
Historical weapons aren't the problem here so I've restored and moved those, the ones that i'm expressing hesitation over are the possibly-unimplemented ones. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 00:59, 9 December 2018 (UTC)

Wintersday achievements[edit]

I started a discussion on Talk:The Wondrous Workshop of Toymaker Tixx which nobody responded to yet, but the gist is: things have been handled differently for Halloween, it seems. [[Shadow of the Mad King (2017 achievements)]] was edited to include the new 2018 achievements and is treated as recurring content. All holidays from last year on re-use the same achievement category in-game, with new achievements being added for new content. While I don't mind reverting my edits on [[The Wondrous Workshop of Toymaker Tixx (2017 achievements)]] (when I made them, I was unaware of the new [[The Wondrous Workshop of Toymaker Tixx]] page), that doesn't fix the issue of inconsistency. If [[The Wondrous Workshop of Toymaker Tixx]] is to become the one page for that category that is edited every year, [[The Wondrous Workshop of Toymaker Tixx (2017 achievements)]] should not exist (as this practice began last year, not this one). [[Shadow of the Mad King (2017 achievements)]] could also perhaps analogously be renamed to remove the 2017 tag, with the original [[Shadow of the Mad King (achievements)]] being retagged "historical achievements" or just "historical". I would rather not do those things without discussion, though. – Cricket 14:11, 15 December 2018 (UTC)

Nobody replied probably because the achievement layout (and your description of it) are very confusing. I'll take a look though. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 16:49, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
Okay so I discussed Wintersday achievements on discord:
  • All old achievement categories for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 got renamed and are still visible in the Historical section of the UI
  • All achievements from 2016, 2017 and 2018 are in the Festival category -- players who completed them last year cannot repeat these this year. This means we should merge the 2016, 2017 and 2018 pages.
  • Wintersday Traditions contains Annual achievements (No AP, can be repeated each year) + some infinite achievements (AP capped)
This means I was incorrect when I reverted your edits to the 2017 page. I'll try and sort this out now. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 17:53, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
Some ugly history merges carried out, but all the content should now be correct. The Wondrous Workshop of Toymaker Tixx has subheadings to indicate the achievements added in later years. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:22, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
Applied the same to Halloween achievements:
  • Moved the 2012 version from (achievements) to have the (2012 achievements) suffix
  • Moved the 2017+ version to (achievements) and modified the page to identify which individual achievements were added in 2018.
-Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:13, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
Sorry for being confusing about it and thank you for fully investigating and handling the issue. Also thank you for bringing my attention to the fact that the wiki has a Discord server, that seems like an easier avenue of discussion than talk pages. – Cricket 22:38, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
No need to apologise, I got the gist of it eventually! By the end all the links above were red (all moved/deleted) so I knew your description must have been fine. :) Glad I was able to help. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 00:04, 16 December 2018 (UTC)

New widget: Account items skins[edit]

We have Widget:Account dyes, Widget:Account miniatures, etc... May I ask you for the [[Widget:Account items]], if you have some free time? It could be used on rare collection pages, for example: Exotic Hunter. --Tolkyria (talk) 22:16, 28 January 2019 (UTC)

wouldn't that be more like account skins for that collection? -94.8.82.215 23:37, 28 January 2019 (UTC)
You are right, internally most likely the skins count for a collection. But the most usual way to unlock the skin is by buying the item. If you like we can add the skins into the section Collection items and then create the section Notes (or similar) and place the item table with tp prices there. I found this: The Kaiser. But I think this would be just too much, especially for long tables. Since skins don't have a tp price I prefer to go with the items instead of the skins. --Tolkyria (talk) 00:02, 29 January 2019 (UTC)
Edit: It's definitely too late for me right now. Time for bed... Of course, the widget should be Widget:Account skins. --Tolkyria (talk) 00:16, 29 January 2019 (UTC)
Done. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:49, 29 January 2019 (UTC)
Nice, thanks a lot! --Tolkyria (talk) 19:07, 29 January 2019 (UTC)

GWSpidy is back up?[edit]

Hey, I noticed you removed the GW2Spidy link from the generic item template a week or so ago, because it seemed the website would be closing. However, based on these posts, the fact that https://www.gw2spidy.com/ is running and that it doesn't warn of any imminent shutdown, I imagine it can be cancelled? Aikan (talk) 20:37, 30 January 2019 (UTC)

Kill the alpha beetle "event api wrong"[edit]

Referring to this edit. Are you sure? I recall going to that spot due to a guide, and I waited half an hour with nothing, as I left I found the event south of that spot, near where one of the mordrem vets spawn during Clear out the Mordrem threat (Far Silverwastes). Konig (talk) 17:30, 1 February 2019 (UTC)

The previous listed set of coordinates were from the api.
I've only ever seen it on the northern shelf. If it spawns to the south, i've never observed it. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:11, 1 February 2019 (UTC)

Help with the skill table template, please?[edit]

Hello! A while ago, you and Nox worked on a skill table template that could show skill facts. People chose to not use it on the wiki proper, but I did adapt it in order to make a list in my userspace; here's the template, and here is one example of a skill list. But I'm having trouble adapting that template to work with Revenant skills which have energy cost and/or upkeep. Could you please help me with the template formating? The wiki template is now very different, so I can't just copy it, and I haven't used any of this in a very long time.
I thought about adding a line with:
| {{#if: {{#show:{{{1}}}|?Has energy cost|}}} | {{#show:{{{1}}}|?Has energy cost|default=}}| }}
But it's not really working... Erasculio 21:40, 8 March 2019 (UTC)

Sorry I didn't get back to you. Key things to note: (1) there were some random pipes in the tables, (2) List of revenant skills sets {{#var:energy}} which if you look at the header template source you'll see it checks the presence of to calculate number of columns to display - I think the same code is around in the original row template, (3) setting that variable and using that to figure out the variable means it doesn't matter if the energy cost is zero-set or not. FWIW I'll respond on the community portal. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 21:23, 10 March 2019 (UTC)
Wow, thanks a lot! I didn't expect you to solve the issue so quickly and so completely. It's working perfectly right now (and I had no idea something like this could work). Really, thank you! Erasculio 00:57, 12 March 2019 (UTC)

A few question or maybe a little help[edit]

Hya Chief ! I've found few "problems" and few things wich I would like to ask if they re possible and if you wouldnt know how to solve/do these things. Im trying to do most of them myself but sometimes it's over my knowledge. First would be about pictures. I have a picture wich I updated with a new one. But this time, not as usual, this picture started to be problematic by jumping from this version to one before and back. First I though that maybe a cashe problems. That my google just remmebers what picture there was before and then decide but sadly that wasnt it. No clue what it making these problems. Is there a way how to find out ? Or a way for me to delete the version wich was before so the new one would take it's place normaly ? The other question is simple one and I bet the answer is no it cant be. Is there a way to have a picture repeating in the background ? Or a section of pictures been repeated over and over till the lengh of the website ? Everyone has a diferent size of screan so I would love to have it perfect on all of them. Thank you for your time and answer ! --DiegoDeLaHouska (talk) 11:24, 12 March 2019 (UTC)

For the sudo-cache issue, visit the file's wiki page and click on the clock to purge the server-side cache. Any further problems after that will be particular to your computer/browser.
If its a user page for the repeating background, then you can use Template:Custom CSS. I suggest googling "CSS background-repeat" or just "CSS background". You can stick CSS in that template, and as long as its in a subpage of your userspace it'll work. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:06, 12 March 2019 (UTC)
And no. Tryed from diferent pcs, diferent network and tryed diferent web searchers. Even my friends, who never seen this website ever, said the same. They can still see the older one. Oh well my soulbeast will be stucked with older picure. I could download that new picture back into my Pc, destroy/make new link for the pic and destroy the old one. Dont know if I have rights to destroy the old one but its the only way how I can see it based on the understanding. --DiegoDeLaHouska (talk) 10:11, 13 March 2019 (UTC)
Well it doesnt mater. But still thanks Chieftain Magician Alex ;) --DiegoDeLaHouska (talk) 21:21, 13 March 2019 (UTC)
No idea then sorry if it still isn't working for you, I'm only seeing the most recent image ;) -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 22:44, 13 March 2019 (UTC)
I do see the new picture if I would click on the file but not on the main padge. As you can see [2] here thats how Im seen it and there is a right picture wich was suppose to be showing for me at the right side. 2 last things what comes on my mind would be a cache on a server wich updates this wiki for me. But cleaning cashe on my Pc should make my Pc request the information again so that is probably not the problem. Also that wouldnt solve the problem that we couldnt see it from other Pcs as well. And the secound option would be that having this picture in a {{STDT|expandable}} could be making these problems as well ? --DiegoDeLaHouska (talk) 12:56, 14 March 2019 (UTC)
I don't see what you see - both are updated on my end on my pc and mobile. It won't be related to the expandable class since there's no caching code in there. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:09, 14 March 2019 (UTC)
The background is harder then I though it would be boss =/ --DiegoDeLaHouska (talk) 13:13, 27 March 2019 (UTC)

Making template in advance[edit]

Shouldn't we make template in advance of [3] ? Knowing that every single one asc item will have the same stats selection based on the expansions owned. Also that would mean that all asc items could be deleted from stat pages as well. Insted of a list of all the asc items, having one sentence should be alright.--DiegoDeLaHouska (talk) 19:43, 27 May 2019 (UTC)

Pretty sure this was discussed on the wiki discord in the last week...
Intricity
Last Thursday at 7:44 PM
with these new changes, should we work on turning the stat tables in ascended trinkets/back item/armor/weapon into a template?
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/upcoming-changes-to-attribute-selectable-gear/
GuildWars2.com
Upcoming Changes to Attribute-Selectable Gear – GuildWars2.com
What would you choose if you could do it all over again?

BuffsEverywhere
Last Thursday at 7:51 PM
they already use a template
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Template:Prefix_selection
Template:Prefix selection

Tolkyria
Last Thursday at 8:15 PM
Assaulter's, Defender's, Healer's and Malicious shouldn't be a problem, that's an easy edit in the template. Legendary armor/weapons neither. Ascended WvW armors have already all prefixes. Exotic WvW armor doesn't have Bringer's at the moment, depends if they add it consistently, if yes it's fine too. The bigger part will be updating items with prefix lists. See: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=User:Tolkyria/Sandbox2&oldid=1881881
Sandbox2&oldid=1881881
So as said, there won't be some wiki magic bullet template to fix everything. We'll make some minor changes to {{Prefix selection}} but anything hardcoded will be either a difficult bot task or a hideous human task. --Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:56, 27 May 2019 (UTC)
Im not on the wiki discord but good to know. Thank you Chief. --DiegoDeLaHouska (talk) 20:13, 27 May 2019 (UTC)
We don't use it for voice, only text but its sure good to bounce ideas off people. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 20:14, 27 May 2019 (UTC)

Might rewrite the Event timer widget at the weekend[edit]

Event timer version 3, design preview

Thinking about a bit of an overhaul. Things to do:

  • 1Yes Rationalise the text localisation object at the top - nested objects for each event?
  • 1Yes Why do the schedule objects need to store chatlinks?
  • 1Yes Why is "var events" different to "var i18n[en]"? Can't we combine it?
  • 1Yes How about "link"s repeating the "name"s?
  • 1Yes Add category (Core, HOT, LWS3, POF, LWS4, Specials) headings which won't break the rearranging?
    • Do people even use rearranging anyway?
  • 0No Should the red current time bar respect the option to use AM/PM times?
  • 0No User interface legend:
    1. Button to show/hide chatlinks
    2. Dropdown menu for layouts? - (1) times on every line or just at the top, (2) old style with full width barscompact with titles (h1+h2)
  • 1Yes Documentation mentions hiding chatlinks for specific maps - eliminate this!
  • 1Yes Specifying the CSS stylesheet for each event is annoying when you need to repeat it for the .future version with 30% opacity. Include it into the "var events" above?
  • 1Yes Remove any inline styling and do it all via CSS (e.g. cursor:help + underlining)
  • 1Yes "Serpents' Ire" instead of "Zealots"
  • 1Yes Try and match the image above.
  • 1Yes Checkbox text made into an object too. Bug identified where the getPreferences function wasn't functioning as expected.

--Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 21:56, 29 May 2019 (UTC)

Mostly done, the preview for Widget:Test is up on User:Chieftain Alex/sandbox3. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 12:54, 1 June 2019 (UTC)

Removing norn organizations[edit]

You might not be up to date with what's going on here: Talk:Spirits of the Wild#Organizations. The point for those delete requests was to rename the categories, from Category:Cult of Wolf to Category:Followers of Wolf, not to delete them altogether.--Lon-ami (talk) 13:40, 23 June 2019 (UTC)

My reading of that page could be summarized as: (1) Categories aren't required, and (2) the names were terrible. They're a small enough number that its fine to manually list them on the page. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 14:30, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
Also we agreed that, like Balthazar, the supporting deity info was sufficiently covered by the npc. No way are we splitting them again... -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 14:32, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
That's not the agreement reached on the talk page. I respect your opinion, but if we're talking and reach a consensus, you can't just come and do whatever you want ignoring all the previous discussion, specially when you didn't even contribute to it in the first place. At least try to participate before unilaterally pushing your solution (which wasn't even considered by anyone so far, to make it even more egregious).--Lon-ami (talk) 14:53, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
Consensus does not require unanimous agreement. At this point, you're the only one opposing it. Konig (talk) 16:38, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
Pardon me? A total of 4 persons (aside from me) agreed to rename every "Cult of Animal" reference to "Followers of Animal".
Even you pretended to like this change, in fact, you were one of its utmost defenders. Suffering from amnesia? Did you hit your head with a rock or something??--Lon-ami (talk) 16:49, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
I have no problem with the #Followers section. The categories however serve no useful function. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 16:54, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
Everyone aside from you agreed to rename Cult to Followers, and yes, including myself; but similarly, people agreed the categories served no extra purpose, again including myself. Especially for those not the Great Spirits. Konig (talk) 17:03, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
I defended followers as a section within the articles, as it is right now, not as a separate page. Quoting myself from here: "The follower section on the articles for the Spirits of the Wild is designed for... " Warming Hearth (talk) 18:01, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
Well, if you did argue the category wasn't necessary, you sure didn't in the talk page. Typing the whole list manually is kinda dumb when we have templates like Template:Member list to make our work easier.
Yeah, some cult categories became useless after I merged each cult with its spirit, but I would say these: Category:Followers of Bear, Category:Followers of Hare, Category:Followers of Owl, Category:Followers of Raven, Category:Followers of Snow Leopard, and Category:Followers of Wolf would be useful, if only for the template.
In fact, I would like to expand this discussion to the Category:Kingdom of Kryta removal. Yes, the category wasn't full per se, but it's a setup to keep it growing, which also prevents Category:Organizations from having over 100 pages. And anyway, we have equivalents like Category:Iron Legion, which cover a whole faction. I don't think we need to split Kryta in two (one for the region, and another for the kingdom), but the categories would be nice to have, and make navigation far easier.--Lon-ami (talk) 19:53, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
So? Are the categories ok or not?--Lon-ami (talk) 09:49, 29 June 2019 (UTC)
No, they're not okay. It was agreed that they were unnecessary and that's why they were deleted. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 11:15, 29 June 2019 (UTC)
Where was that agreed upon? The discussion around Cult/Followers was about the name, not the purpose. Nowhere was a deletion proposed.
The lack of a category defies the purpose of Template:Member list in the first place. Lacking a category makes everything harder to maintain, and there's absolutely no reason why a particular group of people have a category and others don't; unless you're advocating for the removal of the "Followers" section inside each spirit, that is.
As for the other categories, did you follow some rule, or just deleted those you didn't like? There's categories for tribes of various races, yet we don't have a category for human kingdoms. Category:Free City of Amnoon is still there. [[:Category:Human churches]]‏‎ was emptied, yet the ones inside weren't put back into organizations. Category:Arcane Council was removed too. It's okay if you want to change things, but at least establish some rules first.--Lon-ami (talk) 12:24, 29 June 2019 (UTC)
So? Hello? We have dozens of categories with less members inside of them, like Category:Church of Abaddon and Category:Church of Balthazar too, adding to the inconsistency.--Lon-ami (talk) 12:44, 4 July 2019 (UTC)
I've stated my opinion on categories with small quantities of NPCs in; I don't like them and I consider them completely pointless when a static list functions just fine without making up fictional group titles. Slapped a merge tag on Priest of Abaddon (that associated category needs deleting). Balthazar I can live with. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:31, 4 July 2019 (UTC)
But some of the priesthoods have less members than the followers? What kind of rules are you following to decide which ones are good or not?
The whole concept of an organization needs a heavy redefining, because it sounds like you're just taking inconsistent decisions due to personal preferences, instead of following an actual guideline.--Lon-ami (talk) 21:26, 4 July 2019 (UTC)

(Reset indent) "The whole concept of an organization needs a heavy redefining" The way wiki uses "organization" is the same way that GWW used gww:Affiliation. For one reason or another, back in 2010 or whenever, we on GW2W felt it best to be different than GWW, and instead of using race and affiliation, we used species and organization (species was the correct terminology that ArenaNet had, at the time we decided to switch to it, said they were going to adhere to more closely in GW2 than they did in GW1). The term, as confusing as it may be, is not to be associated with the word in the dictionary. It refers to a mechanical grouping used by ArenaNet (or guessed to be used by ArenaNet). Groups such as Category:Primeval ghosts and Category:Bloodstone ghosts, or Category:Arch Exchange, Category:Soundless, and Category:Brotherhood of the Dragon most likely do not exist at all in mechanics; in general, "species" and "organizations" can only be proven to exist via Slayer achievements and of Slaying potions / sigils. Beyond that is player guesswork. Some things are useful to have separation for lore reasons (e.g., Sentinels may not be its own affiliation but it's useful to separate anyways), other things like the churches, not so much (I am indifferent about the articles, but I see no need for the categories personally - this goes for Church of Abaddon too - P.S., Alex, it's not "one NPC's faith", though we've only seen one modern NPC believing in it as they try to revive the ancient faith).
Though I will say there are several reasons that make me think that, without telling us, ArenaNet did away with the double grouping of NPCs and only use one now. Konig (talk) 22:29, 4 July 2019 (UTC)

Maybe we should leave Category:Organizations for lore organizations, and move the game mechanic to Category:Creature types or something like that? Then we can give it its own page too, with a nice table like GW1's, with the potions and sigils next to each of them.
Under this model, Category:Humans would be under Category:Bestiary, Category:Pirates under the new category, and Category:Ogres under both of them.--Lon-ami (talk) 15:40, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
Or we could leave it as it is, stop making categories for lore-only groups, and just put said groups' articles directly into Category:Organizations or into the <Race> culture categories as have been done until now. (P.S., Ogres is not an organization or similar grouping). Less work, less management and terms to remember, and less over-categorizing. Konig (talk) 08:28, 6 July 2019 (UTC)

Spirits of the Wild terminology[edit]

You were the one to step in and force the redirects before the discussion was over, yet you haven't participated yet. I would appreciate if you actually stepped in, because right now it's a one on one where one of the sides is chronically unable to yield and compromise in any way whatsoever.

These are my proposed split pages:

Compiled evidence as for why the "Spirit of Animal" model is the right term for the deities:

Compiled evidence as for why the "Animal Spirit" model is the wrong term for the deities:

That's it, thanks for reading. Hope you help bring an end to this discussion.--Lon-ami (talk) 22:02, 1 July 2019 (UTC)

Imo these pages do not need splitting and are fine in their current state, minus the annoying merge tags. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:31, 4 July 2019 (UTC)
Mind elaborating your reasons? There's a handful of arguments above, but no one has refuted them yet.
Meanwhile, the deity pages remain merged with pages of trash mob NPCs. How is that fine in any way whatsoever?--Lon-ami (talk) 21:26, 4 July 2019 (UTC)
My opinion was equal weighting with anybody else's, this discussion doesn't really have any benefit on my talk page as opposed to the existing conversations. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 22:11, 4 July 2019 (UTC)
Well, I've restored the redirects then, since the merge discussion was there before the split, and it's hard to make a point when the pages you're defending no longer exist.--Lon-ami (talk) 15:40, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
"it's hard to make a point when the pages you're defending no longer exist." So everyone else has to do it instead? A consensus was reached prior to finding out about the Means to an End npcs, and that's what things got changed to. That's also why everyone stopped commenting; they said their piece, saw the changes made, and (it would seem from my perspective at least) they weren't convinced by anything that was brought up after. Konig (talk) 08:32, 6 July 2019 (UTC)

Unlock Widget on Wardrobe Pages[edit]

Hey Alex, I was wondering whether it's possible (and feasible) to have an account unlock widget on the wardrobe list pages (e.g. Wardrobe/Light armor), so that skins an account has are greyed out or something like that. User Incarnazeus Signature.pngtalk 11:57, 19 July 2019 (UTC)

Hrm. Currently all of the account widgets are setup for table elements with parent elements with the id set, e.g. Abaddon's Mask (light skin) would be #skins-7336 td.
It'd be convenient to make it work for divs. I'll have a think about it. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 16:41, 19 July 2019 (UTC)
I've switched it to #skins-7336 * etc which basically selects anything within. I might need to review the other similar Account widgets - they might need making more similar now that they're all done. --Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 16:59, 19 July 2019 (UTC)
You're a gem, Alex! Thank you very much. :> Now we just need to find some nice place to link from so the pages get utilised more often. User Incarnazeus Signature.pngtalk 17:25, 19 July 2019 (UTC)
Altough you increased the opacity, the icons and the text are hardly visible, for example Template:Account unlocks list#Skins the text is nearly invisible and the icons are almost fully invisible. For Template:Account unlocks table the greyed out skin icons are also harder to see than the icons from other unlock widgets. --Tolkyria (talk) 18:12, 19 July 2019 (UTC)
Ugh. Nested opacities. How's that now with #skins-7336 > *. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 21:55, 19 July 2019 (UTC)
Much better, thanks. --Tolkyria (talk) 22:26, 19 July 2019 (UTC)

Trait alpha mask[edit]

Could you use your trait alpha mask on File:Gyroscopic Acceleration.png? The preceding unsigned comment was added by Kvothe (talkcontribs) at 10:43, 21 July 2019‎ (UTC).

Done. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 10:45, 21 July 2019 (UTC)
Thank you, Alex. I also found Weakening Strikes which is a minor trait. —Kvothe (talk) 11:08, 21 July 2019 (UTC)
As a minor trait it should be like File:Physical Supremacy.png. —Kvothe (talk) 12:19, 21 July 2019 (UTC)
My bad, cache was old. Thanks. —Kvothe (talk) 12:20, 21 July 2019 (UTC)

Account skin widget[edit]

When I click multiple times on apply, I have to click reset an equal amount to reset the widget. Example page: Luminous weapon skinsKvothe (talk) 14:49, 24 August 2019 (UTC)

Should be fixed now. Don't click apply more than once though ;) -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 15:51, 24 August 2019 (UTC)
My mouse is broken and often double clicking, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed. Thank you Alex. —Kvothe (talk) 16:08, 24 August 2019 (UTC)

Kasmeer Cub event in Tribunes' Trench[edit]

Heyas, I'm a little curious if you were in the area for the "Help the cubs defeat Kasmeer's illusions!"? When I was out looking for missing information for Tribunes' Trench area, that specific event popped up. I feel like I double and triple-checked on the mini map that I was still within that area during the event, too. This first one is completely stationary (minus running around a bit to catch Kas's illusions.) If I'm wrong, I'm wrong! I just feel fairly certain I checked and made sure it was in that area. Muirellthe Moon Geode.png 23:07, 22 September 2019 (UTC)

Heya. You're correct that the event does appear in that area, however we normally use the template to display that. I admit I was lazy and hadn't checked the event article existed at the time...
Now that the Help the cubs defeat Kasmeer's illusions! article has been created, the event has been automatically added to the Area page via Template:Area events. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:17, 23 September 2019 (UTC)
I forget about the template pretty consistently, thanks for the reminder! Muirellthe Moon Geode.png 01:50, 28 September 2019 (UTC)

502 Bad Gateway[edit]

Just me, or other people getting this too tonight? -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:22, 10 October 2019 (UTC)

I'm afraid it's just you, Chief. —Ventriloquist 19:48, 10 October 2019 (UTC)
Drat, new housemate whining about wifi may have legitimate concerns if its his Fifa and my wiki edits! -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:59, 10 October 2019 (UTC)

Precision[edit]

Does your new calculation work when you need to calculate other flat % effects like the one with the guardian trait "Righteous Instincts"? -User:Aragorn2013swe (talk) 19:37, 16 December 2019 (UTC)

I've made like 100k edits on this wiki, can you point me at a particular page? -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 19:35, 16 December 2019 (UTC)
This Precision "There are 3 solutions to each problem: accept, change or let go. If you cannot accept, then change. If you cannot change then let go." User:Aragorn2013swe (talk) 19:37, 16 December 2019 (UTC)
Thanks for clarifying, page was obvious in retrospect ;)
When you say "new calculation" its identical to the old one. Here's an example calculation:
So assumptions: Guardian at level 80 (natively 1000 base precision). Zerker gear (+961 precision). Fury (+20% crit chance). Righteous Instincts (+25% crit chance)
Base_Critical_Chance_(%) = 5 + [ (Precision - 1000) / 21 ]
Base_Critical_Chance_(%) = 5 + [ ([1000 + 961] - 1000) / 21 ]
Base_Critical_Chance_(%) = 5 + [ (961) / 21 ]
Base_Critical_Chance_(%) = 50.8%
Total_Critical_Chance_(%) = Base_Critical_Chance_(%) + Modifiers
Total_Critical_Chance_(%) = 50.8% + 25 + 20
Total_Critical_Chance_(%) = 95.8%
Additional_Critical_Chance_To_Hit_Cap_of_100_(%) = 100 - Total_Critical_Chance_(%)
Additional_Critical_Chance_To_Hit_Cap_of_100_(%) = 100 - 95.8
Additional_Critical_Chance_To_Hit_Cap_of_100_(%) = 4.2%

Additional_Precision_To_Hit_100%_Cap = 4.2 * 21
Additional_Precision_To_Hit_100%_Cap = 88.2 Precision
Equivalent to slightly less than a single Banner, or a piece of Food, or even a utility item. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 20:13, 16 December 2019 (UTC)

Okey, what about this?: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/739990#Comment_739990 Aragorn2013swe (talk) 23:45, 16 December 2019 (UTC)

Help pages[edit]

So I finally pushed save on the rewrite of the Help:Contents page. Any thoughts on how to improve it further? It has occurred to me that we should use the flex-box CSS attributes like we use on the Main Page. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 00:02, 13 February 2020 (UTC)

Eye of the North location[edit]

Hey, I noticed you had changed the region of the Eye of the North to Far Shiverpeaks. While this is correct lorewise, the API specifically lists the mechanical region as Shiverpeak Mountains similar to how Bitterfrost Frontier and Bjora Marches are also considered part of the mechanical region of Shiverpeak Mountains despite lorewise being in the Far Shiverpeaks. We've generally followed the API designation of regions before (such as how lorewise Mount Maelstrom and Sparkfly Fen aren't part of the Maguuma Jungle but are listed mechanically as such), so is there a particular reason for the Eye of the North being an exception? --Kossage (talk) 19:23, 22 March 2020 (UTC)

Without looking at anything, I thought Bjora and EoTN should both be Far Shiverpeaks.
I was actually copying the structure of Category:Far Shiverpeaks where Bjora+EoTN fell in there. But now I look closer that category is in two categories. Yuck. Set them to Shiverpeak Mountains I guess.
Btw, any feeling on [[Strike Mission: Forging Steel]]? Probably should be whatever is agreed for the above. Or the Mists? -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 22:23, 22 March 2020 (UTC)
Forging Steel is really strange in this, since lorewise the first part happens near Grothmar Valley, which is in Category:Ascalon. DJemba (talk) 10:45, 3 April 2020 (UTC)

Talk:Experience[edit]

The page at /wiki experience seems outdated. My comment at the bottom plus many pertinent comments above mine. -Keenedge (talk) 02:09, 1 April 2020 (UTC)

Does this require me to fix it? This is a weird user talk page to choose for this kind of edting issue.
Looks a lot like a research/content issue which anyone can address. The article isn't edit-protected so fix anything you can verify (maybe show your working on the talk page). -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 06:22, 1 April 2020 (UTC)

Widget rewrites, smarty php errors and parameter validation[edit]

So I've been a bad admin. I've written a whole bunch of widgets where the validation falls short of the requirement and silently submits a php error every time the page is processed. About to run through every single widget and check the validation... by copying the source code onto my own local test wiki with verbose php warnings switched on. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:05, 14 April 2020 (UTC)

It's okay Alex, we still love you. Now fix it!Ventriloquist 20:23, 14 April 2020 (UTC)
Only the difficult one left! -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 21:29, 14 April 2020 (UTC)
Done, and in Spanish too! -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 23:06, 14 April 2020 (UTC)
Gracias Alex.Ventriloquist 19:25, 15 April 2020 (UTC)

Flowcharts gone???[edit]

I looked at Astralaria III: The Mechanism & Astralaria IV: The Cosmos and realized that you replaced my beautiful flowcharts I put so much effort into. Well, I have one thing to say to you, buddy . . .


You missed Incinerator III: Spark, so I updated it. Please ensure I did it correctly.

(sigh) Forgot to sign, sorry. Rifkin-Witchblood (talk) 12:21, 29 June 2020 (UTC)

Amazing job, apologies didn't realise I'd missed a collection.
Replacing the plain table with an indented version was something I'd meant to do ages ago back when it was brought up in 2015 (edit summary says it all) -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:51, 29 June 2020 (UTC)

Guess whos back![edit]

Hey, been a long time. How are things going? I'm getting back into the wiki and GW2. I'll be playing all night Wed. and Thurs. and hopefully all weekend. Maybe I'll see you around. User DrogoBoffin Test sig.pngDrogo Boffin 21:48, 25 August 2020 (UTC)

Editing Maps[edit]

Hello, I'm trying to follow your instructions for maps to help with Drizzlewood Coast. I have images but I didn't see any information about using the Widget:Editing_robot. I tried uploading one of the maps to see if that worked but it's not populating on the map page. Further investigation has led me to believe the lack of code on the page is because this is an automated piece and hence the Widget:Editing_robot reference in your directions. Is there anything which provides information on how to use the Widget:Editing_robot? Thanks! Timmaah (talk) 01:28, 5 September 2020 (UTC)

There's features in there which could be destructive if used accidentally, so it's disabled for editors without extended editor rights or above.
Imo just upload the images directly as usual using Special:Upload. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 12:12, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
So I uploaded the map for File:Archstone_Coast_map.jpg, but it doesn't show up on the Archstone_Coast page on the table / area on the right hand of the page. Timmaah (talk) 16:20, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
You may need to purge your cache, as I believe I am seeing the image you uploaded, now. Greener (talk) 16:26, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
(Edit conflict) When the page's cache expires (either every 24hr, or after clicking on the purge/clock buttons at the top of the area page), the maps will show up. Fwiw the map is showing up now. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 16:27, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
Why is the map so large, dimension-wise? 1.7mb for a single area is surprising, given the entire zone usually fits within 8mb -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 16:29, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
Just found I actually had a folder full of these ready to go from 8th August which I hadn't uploaded... wondering if I was thinking of adding all the npc, anvils, merchants, objective markers, etc -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 16:46, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
Probably just the resolution I had it at. I do see it now, thanks for the info about cache and purging! Timmaah (talk) 23:12, 5 September 2020 (UTC)

My Apologies[edit]

Long overdue, but I'm genuinely sorry about the whole banner thing and everything that followed after. I shouldn't have done that. Please accept my humble pineapology. Hope you're doing well and I'm looking forward to your return to the game, wiki, and discord. User Incarnazeus Signature.pngtalk 22:40, 5 September 2020 (UTC)

Well it's a wiki, revisions happen. I did like the dark brooding one you uploaded this week.
I'm probably not coming back to the discord, and whether i properly return to gw2 is questionable atm. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 23:26, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
And derp, missed the pineapple link ;) -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 23:28, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
Okay, so how many pineapples does it take to make you change your mind? User Incarnazeus Signature.pngtalk 08:46, 6 September 2020 (UTC)
I dont know if I have rights say anything here but Im gonna do it anyway. Dont know what happend and dont even want to know. Its your decision if you want to stay or move forward. The path is yours. But leaving the server feels wrong to me. Sure you can put people into ignore or ignore the whole discord server if you wish to rest. Leaving feels to much of a step. But again it is your decision. All I wanted to say is that whatever happend we will still love you the way you are and will keep you in our hearts forever whenever you will be. Well at least I will for sure <3 --DiegoDeLaHouska (talk) 13:36, 6 September 2020 (UTC)
I've just kind of lost interest in gw2 really. Doesn't really fill me with the "fun" factor at the moment. Compared with a few months ago when I was clocking up like 2hr+ every day, I think I've logged in for the sum total of 30 minutes in a fortnight.
And since I've lost interest, being part of a community discord to document a game (which was always less fun than playing the actual game) doesn't really make sense right now. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 14:41, 6 September 2020 (UTC)
Take your time Alex, if you can't enjoy the game right now there's no use to force yourself into it. Hope to see you active again in the future! In the meantime, Discord is still there if you want to chat. ~ Sanna Talk page 19:06, 6 September 2020 (UTC)

Medium Bag of Trinkets[edit]

Heyas! With the Medium Bag of Trinkets, my 500 bag research was lost when my computer crashed, but I can confirm that Pile of Incandescent Dust, Large Claw, and Large Bone did drop. I'll probably buy a few bags later tonight for the purposes of proving it beyond my word and memory, too. I'm less convinced about Butter and Chocolate being drops, but I'll have to be opening far more than a few hundred bags to be completely certain on that front. Muirellthe Moon Geode.png 22:11, 19 October 2020 (UTC)

Feel free to revert me in that case, but if you do add the drops back onto the drop rate subpage, be sure to update the container page too. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 00:04, 20 October 2020 (UTC)
Will do, thanks! I don't think I'll revert outright, since I like how you organized everything! I'll just add them back in manually. Muirellthe Moon Geode.png 03:33, 20 October 2020 (UTC)

Tradable[edit]

It seems like you removed the parameter "tradable" in August 2018 from the template {{Default item parameter}}, because since this time it's completely determinded by the binding. Hence, do we need today's edit? Especially, since you aren't defining the #var:tradable in general but only apply it to the #ifeq, hence none of the external links would behave like an actual tradable item. On the other hand, do we really need this edit or is the automatic binding definition enough?
The only infobox usage I found is in {{item infobox}}:

{{Default item parameter
 | tradable   = {{#switch:{{lc:{{{type|}}}}}
                 |service={{{tradable|no}}}
                 |#default={{{tradable|}}}
                }}
 | bound      = {{#switch:{{lc:{{{type|}}}}}
                 |service={{{bound|account}}}
                 |#default={{{bound|}}}
                }}
}}

But since all service items are set to "AccountBound" or "SoulbindOnAcquire", the parameter tradable doesn't matter at all. I think we can remove it from the item infobox and let the template default item parameter (remove it there too) automatically decide based on the binding. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

See also: this search for "tradable". --Tolkyria (talk) 21:26, 10 November 2020 (UTC)

Not too surprised I'm the villain who edited the infobox ;)
I presume you saw Guild Catapult (schematic)? The current version of that item is instantly consumed and added to the guild processing panel, however the historical version was TP tradeable - the 250g sell price in the infobox didn't really seem appropriate. Per the API, it has no binding, and doesn't state instantly consumed :/ I suppose we could set it to a service type instead as a bit of a kludge. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 22:13, 10 November 2020 (UTC)
I've missed that catapult (probably I should have checked your contributions before). So your intention was to simply override the cost but neither hide the trading post external links nor set the property Is tradable to false. Feels a little bit strange, but given this price... okay. On the other hand, the price is what it is, showing it together with your note might be more fitting. Leaving it up to you. --Tolkyria (talk) 23:21, 10 November 2020 (UTC)
Don't beat around the bush lol, I just implemented the parameter a really dumb way didn't I. Anyway hopefully this is a bit better. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 18:12, 11 November 2020 (UTC)

PC is dead.[edit]

PC is dead. No bios no motherboard lights. Won't be logging in for a while I guess as my login details for Chieftain Alex on the wiki are all on the hard drive of a dead pc. -94.2.31.5 19:09, 18 November 2020 (UTC)

Now throw the whole thing out of the window! Kidding. Very unfortunate. Time to splurge on a new rig! User Incarnazeus Signature.pngtalk 19:12, 18 November 2020 (UTC)
I'm sure your work won't mind you 'borrowing' one to tide you over in the meantime. Greener (talk) 19:44, 18 November 2020 (UTC)
lol pretty sure they would mind. Difficult bit will be ordering all the components on a mobile phone. I'm sure I put my pc wishlist in my user space but it will be hard to find. --94.2.31.5 23:27, 18 November 2020 (UTC)
Hey welcome to the club. Just before sending my gpu for a refund (and losing my pc) I changed all my passwords, with the master file staying on the PC. Now I cannot log to 99% of my accounts. ~Sime 23:30, 18 November 2020 (UTC)
ETA Sunday. --94.2.31.5 15:40, 19 November 2020 (UTC)
Stock cooler needs replacing asap due to annoying noise, but windows setup in progress. Should be able to login tomorrow. https://imgur.com/a/2SQn3lk -94.2.31.5 22:27, 22 November 2020 (UTC)
Look forward to seeing you back up and running tomorrow then! - Doodleplex 23:09, 22 November 2020 (UTC)
Priority is going to be whupping my chipset and graphics drivers into place, but I've got tomorrow off so will take a look at that pesky Property. -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 23:42, 22 November 2020 (UTC)

Explanation requested[edit]

Please explain the reasoning behind extending this block from 3 days to infinite. I've seen no further disruption from them within that time, and your decision to readjudicate a dispute that's already been solved (with a user you're previously erroneously blocked, to boot) is both irregular and overzealous. horrible | contribs 15:20, 19 November 2020 (UTC)

Whilst it may surprise you, in this instance I am not the sole judge, jury and executioner. This decision has been discussed between the sysop group and collectively agreed. There has been an incredible amount of cleanup for a bunch of unconvincing pages moves in the past fortnight, plus some hilariously bad move suggestions like renaming wvw to Mist War... and this is exactly what the first 6 month block was for. The only choice was one year or indefinite, and I failed to find a sufficient number of useful edits to warrant the amount of effort to support their habits.
Now, please make my day, and try to convince me that I've oppressed a key member of the community. -94.2.31.5 17:19, 19 November 2020 (UTC)
It only surprises me because it's not mentioned anywhere. When there's no explaination - not even a block reason, and the sole action was taken by Chieftain Alex, what exactly am I (or anyone) supposed to think? There's a reason we had gww:Guild_Wars_Wiki:Sysop_discretion_log on GWW. horrible | contribs 17:35, 19 November 2020 (UTC)
ah - I see you left a notice on their talk page. the rest of this still stands as written. horrible | contribs 18:09, 19 November 2020 (UTC)
This action - especially if it was discussed in private with the sysop team - runs DIRECTLY counter to the community requests from User:Tanetris's last RFR. I am incredibly disappointed in all of your continued failures. horrible | contribs 17:37, 19 November 2020 (UTC)

(Edit conflict) Hi Horrible. Allow me to answer your inquiry in Alex's stead as he is incapacitated to do so at present. Hi Alex.

Let me begin by quoting his reasoning as given on the user's talk page:
"I'm afraid it is beyond clear to me that the vision you have for the wiki does not align with everyone else's, and despite multiple attempts to request feedback, we seem to be creating a lot of nuisance work for each other. This is virtually identical to what was occurring before your previous 6 month ban. With this in mind I am extending the block duration to permanent."
There's also Felix's statement (taken from the Discord):
"After discussion among the admin team, we unanimously decided to extend Lon-ami's block indefinitely. Their vision for the wiki is incompatible with the project's primary purpose of being a reference for players, and the amount of ill will and churn they produced outweighed their positive contributions. This doesn't mean all of their ideas were bad, so please keep that in mind as we sort through their most recent contributions."
Lastly, I shall present my stance:
The wiki is a player-run project intended to collect knowledge in an approachable way. Our target audience consists of a wide range of people; from native English speakers to non-natives, old and young, technically-inclined and technically-inept. It is our mission to present information in a manner that is accessible to this broad audience. Most importantly, we document things as they appear and are known in the game. While the API and the .dat exist, both are only really understood and used by a minority of people. To follow the API to the core means we might get lost in technicalities, which are deterrent to our readers.
Although the user means well, their ideas and actions were not in line with the spirit of a reader-targeted (see: readability & user-friendliness) as well as a consensus- and community-driven wiki. The majority of edits were controversial and disputable (i.e. overcategorisation, shaking up the status quo to push an agenda that is not user-friendly but solely determined to reflect the API), and often required several editors to untangle. This is not feasible and a bannable offence, referring to wikipedia's banning policy. I quote: "even if the editor were to make good edits, permitting them to [take part in] the community is perceived to pose enough risk of disruption, issues, or harm . . . even if the edits seem good."
The admin team is responsible for the well-being of the community as a whole. If a whole community starts to avoid discussion and/or editing because it does not want to "deal" with a singular user, then something is severely amiss. It is our duty to fix such situations, hence why we decided to ban the user. We have no capacities to reform users who cannot align their mindsets with that of the wiki. We cannot grant infinite chances to people hoping they might better themselves eventually. The user demonstrated a clear fixation on their own agenda and obliviousness towards concerns.
When asked to wait and stop editing until the admin team could review the many proposed changes, they ignored the request and continued, readily dismissing any concerns and not owing up to edits that were made in the meantime (which equally required discussion).
All of these points led to our decision to permanently bar the user in question from contributing to the wiki and we stand by this decision. If you have further concerns or require assistance, do not hesitate to reach out to me or any of the other admins. Thank you. User Incarnazeus Signature.pngtalk 17:44, 19 November 2020 (UTC)
I'm sorry, what the fuck? ""After discussion among the admin team, we unanimously decided"" Include this on the wiki. Do all of you have such bad memories that you don't remember June of this year? horrible | contribs 17:47, 19 November 2020 (UTC)
If I may: having disciplinary discussions publicly can be extremely humiliating and hurtful. It is not stated anywhere that the admin team is required to publicly disclose more than they need to regarding a suspension or ban of a user. I agree that transparency is important to the integrity of this Wiki, but not when it involves the privacy and dignity of a fellow person. I've been the difficult individual in a group before and it was handled terribly by the leadership that was set in place for the community. It was legitimately traumatizing having over a hundred unique users per day reading over crap and forming opinions that were based on what the leaders wanted them to believe. I was ostracized and never found a way back to trusting a community that had at one time been like a family to me. Part of being part of a decent body of leadership is learning where the line is between transparency and recklessness with fellow people you're in charge of. It's a line that moves, and it's a line that doesn't always get respected. I feel it is safer and more dignified for Lon-ami that the admin team maintain a level of privacy with the particulars of the discussion that went on. Muirellthe Moon Geode.png 18:23, 19 November 2020 (UTC)
Horrible, in camera discussions are an important tool in most administrative settings. If you wish to do some reading about the topic, here is a link. The admins above have been open and honest about the reasons for the block; they are not hiding anything nefarious from the user or the community. Greener (talk) 21:45, 19 November 2020 (UTC)
The only wrong way to react to a mistake is to double down on it. horrible | contribs 00:33, 20 November 2020 (UTC)

I've found something[edit]

I was snifting around and found Template:NPC location and Template:NPC location list used in WvW. Are these an experimental templates ? Could they be used in PvE maps as well ? Or why its not used in PvE as well. I know that remaking every map and every page would take a long time but is it even possible with this template ? It wouldnt make it perfectly automated but it would be a start. At least one of the sides would be automated. --DiegoDeLaHouska (talk) 02:16, 6 December 2020 (UTC)

Hope its alright if I will just rewrite it here. The Npc are been talked about so and if need be we can always look at it in the history. Anyway I might have found something from Nightsky. Template:Second generation legendary weapon ingredients table data. What you think ? Now just remake it so the template would be taking the gifts and other data from .. for first { {recipe}} for example so it could be used for any legendary weapon or item and not just for secound gen weapons. Lovely idea to have this also "automated" on some way so we dont need to be writing it everytime on every new legendary page. Please dont take it that Im trying to push this idea in anyway.. no Im just pointing out what I see nothing more :3 --DiegoDeLaHouska (talk) 20:08, 2 January 2021 (UTC)
eh obfuscating tables has never been my thing. #notinvolved -Chieftain AlexUser Chieftain Alex sig.png 11:20, 3 January 2021 (UTC)

Request Small Improvement to Map Bonus Rewards Widget[edit]

Please see: Widget_talk:Map_bonus_rewards

I've noticed an issue with Trading Post tax rounding errors in the widget code used on the Map Bonus Reward/Profit page. I think I found a way to improve it a bit. See the discussion page linked above for the gory details. Pinging you since you're the author, and I'm not a template/widget editor. Thanks

--SomeGuy (talk) 01:54, 19 January 2021 (UTC)