User talk:Chieftain Alex
Guild Trek redirect
I saw you edited Guild Trek page lately, being in this topic, you can also fix the name of this redirect page.
Guild Trek's target is named Droknah Gate (without 's).
Rename: Droknah's Gate to Droknah Gate
I already corrected the redirect link, but to rename a page probably an account is needed. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 00:22, 8 February 2021 (UTC).
- Yup if we were renaming pages you'd need an account.
- However I think having both exist as redirects would be fair so I've created a second one. -Chieftain Alex 00:23, 8 February 2021 (UTC)
- Yo rylek. Not so motivated to play anymore but hanging about for a bit. -Chieftain Alex 19:32, 11 February 2021 (UTC)
Interior Area Maps
Hi, after seeing your recent edits updating area maps to show the interior whenever that's relevant, I thought that was a good idea, and I figured I might be interested in contributing in helping with that. I'm just not sure how exactly you can get the map to appear that clearly, within the white boundaries, and without the player marker. If I knew how to do it reliably as you do, I'd be down for it, as long as I'm not stepping on your toes at least. Cheers! TheScreenshotGuy (talk) 16:33, 29 April 2021 (UTC)
- Hey. I'd be really glad of some help. At the moment I'm working on pages we've marked up on Guild Wars 2 Wiki:Projects/Cartography/caves.
- In terms of "how", for core tyria areas I'm doing the following:
- Take a screenshot of the entire zone away from the cave. When you're in a cave, the surrounding area will lose saturation on the world map.
- Walk into the cave, (optional, could use stealth: kill anything in the immediate vicinity) and log out to clear the white trail dots off the mini-map.
- Log back in, hide the user interface, open the world map with "M" and screenshot it.
- As you progress further into core tyria caves it will unfog within compass range; you basically need to repeat steps 2 + 3 as you progress into the cave.
- Eventually you'll have your screenshot folder with the full saturation outside map from step 1 + a bunch of cave interior screenshots from step 3.
- I'm layering them up in GIMP (photoshop would also work) - using differential layer blend to see when the layers are aligned correctly (when you take screenshots of the world map they never align up precisely but get it as close as you can). I'm using layer masks to combine the different unfogged areas together. Hard to explain but not too bad with a bit of practice.
- Finally I'm also taking the opportunity to replace the 2016 era sectors which predate the API boundaries - this step is optional and I would encourage other users to just upload area maps without the boundaries. The sector process takes about as long as the above steps and is explained in detail on Guild Wars 2 Wiki:Projects/Maps#Instructions.
- You may read the above and decide you can't be bothered... :D I'd still be fine with people making further suggestions on the /caves project page though. -Chieftain Alex 17:50, 29 April 2021 (UTC)
- A teeny bit more complex than I was anticipating but I can at least give it a shot. Only thing I'm still not sure how to work around is how to disable the player marker thingy. Disabling user interface doesn't seem to be getting rid of it.
- Since I'm not an expert with GIMP, I quick checked to see how it would turn out in paint and I don't think it looks too bad, at least for smaller caves, I have yet to check that method with bigger ones, though you'd be a better judge than me. Here's my trial attempt with Grenbrack Delves and Dreamdark Enclave  .TheScreenshotGuy (talk) 21:20, 29 April 2021 (UTC)
- Hmm, on second thought, while I would love to help with this, after spending a bit of time trying it out, I wasn't expecting it to be this complex/time-consuming. I don't have all that much time to dedicate to wikiing so it might best best if I sit it out instead, unfortunately :/ TheScreenshotGuy (talk) 04:05, 30 April 2021 (UTC)
- No bother, you actually thought about it, which already means you're a better person than all the other non-editors. :) -Chieftain Alex 07:03, 30 April 2021 (UTC)
- Good luck with the rest of it. Given how many areas of this game are almost purely underground, it feels like this should have been done ages ago. But better late than never. Hopefully some people with more time to spare can give you a hand with this considering how daunting of a task this is looking to be, but it's useful info nonetheless :) TheScreenshotGuy (talk) 12:31, 30 April 2021 (UTC)
- I was thinking at least of helping filling out the cartography page. I was thinking however, is this meant to only cover caves in the literal sense, or interiors as a whole, such as the inside of larger buildings (Main reference right now are the norn lodges)? That could be good to include those as well no? TheScreenshotGuy (talk) 22:11, 30 April 2021 (UTC)
- I'm amenable to listing anything there that you think is interesting, but I'll be focusing on the bigger caves which take up mmost of an area, rather than houses etc. e.g. right now I'm looking at Zraith's Beacon -Chieftain Alex 23:42, 30 April 2021 (UTC)