Various enemies and objects in the Far Shiverpeaks are infused with one of three colored essences which relate to one another rock-paper-scissors style. By progressing the mastery tracks related to essence manipulation, the player can make themselves more powerful against these enemies and gain the ability to open essence chests.
|Essence||Color||Collected from||Strong against|
Essence orbs are released by foes as damage is dealt to them. Orbs can be collected by walking over them, granting an effect that stacks up to 30 times. At 30 stacks the effect changes into the power version. While you have a power effect you gain access to the corresponding special action skill that can be used on veteran enemies at 75% health and champions at 75%, 50%, and 25% (when they expose their breakbar.)
Killing enemies while under the power version of the essence that beats them will grant you a stack of Kiss of Essence.
- For a list of chests and their locations, see: Essence Looter
Essence chests can be identified by their colored aura, and may be opened once per day. Small essence chests may be opened after the player has trained the first tier of the essence manipulation mastery that is strong against that chest's essence type. Medium chests require the second tier of the mastery to be trained. They do not require you to have any essence charges to be opened.
|Essence of Resilience Tier 1||381,100||1||Connect with the Essence of Resilience and gain an advantage over valor.|
|Essence of Resilience Tier 2||508,000||1||Connect with the Essence of Resilience and gain an advantage over valor.|
|Essence of Valor Tier 1||381,000||1||Connect with the Essence of Valor and gain an advantage over vigilance.|
|Essence of Valor Tier 2||508,000||1||Connect with the Essence of Valor and gain an advantage over vigilance.|
|Essence of Vigilance Tier 1||381,000||1||Connect with the Essence of Vigilance and gain an advantage over resilience.|
|Essence of Vigilance Tier 2||508,000||1||Connect with the Essence of Vigilance and gain an advantage over resilience.|
Resilience Essence Orb, bearing the likeness of Ox
Valor Essence Orb, bearing the likeness of Wolverine
Vigilance Essence Orb, bearing the likeness of Eagle
- Essence orbs will remain on the ground for 15 seconds to be picked up after being dropped by an enemy.
- Collecting additional essence orbs while a power is active will add 20 seconds per orb to the powers remaining time back up to the initial 15 minutes.
- Collecting additional essence orbs will reset the remaining time of the effects already stacked back to the initial 10 minutes.
- Suggested mnemonics to remember which essence beats which:
- When ordered alphabetically by essence name any essence beats the one following it: Resilience beats Valor beats Vigilance beats Resilience.
- When ordered in reverse alphabetically by enemy name any essence beats the one following it: Svanir beats Fallen beats Aberrant beats Svanir.
- When ordered by that color's position in a rainbow, or in reverse alphabetically by color name, any essence beats the one following it: Red beats Green beats Blue beats Red.
- Pit the Spirits of the Wild associated with each essence against each other: Ox tramples Wolverine eats Eagle pecks out the eyes of Ox.
- Whisper in the Dark: Essence Manipulation 101 — Complete Researcher Yarixx's tutorial on essence manipulation. (1 )
- Whisper in the Dark: Essence Looter — Open all essence chests in Bjora Marches. (3 )
- Essence orbs and their associated effect icons share a likeness with three of the four Spirits of the Wild that stayed behind when the Norn fled south from Jormag. These Spirits are Dolyak (Ox) for Resilience, Wolverine for Valor, and Eagle for Vigilance. The fourth Spirit to stay behind, Owl, has been confirmed by her havroun as killed by Jormag.