- Effect type
- Game link
Downed is the mode a character enters when their health drops below zero. In this state, a character is unable to move and fight regularly and loses 2.5% of their maximum health every second. However they get triple health and an access to four downed skills for a chance to rally by killing an enemy and continue fighting.“
You are downed. Fight to survive.
— In-game description
Significance and mechanics
Being in downed mode means that your character can not use skills, their profession mechanics, dodge or even move. These effects of being downed are accompanied by visual effects like fading, blood-tinted vision and your character falling to the ground. If you were being attacked by a nearby enemy when you were downed, they will probably continue to do so since you can no longer move or dodge. However, you are not completely defenseless yet, and so may get your chance to rally and continue the fight. Each time you are downed will incur one point downed penalty which will reduce your downed mode health by 25% and each point will last for one minute. When you have been downed four times within one minute you will be automatically defeated without the chance to fight back.
- When downed, the game displays "Fight To Survive!" while it displays "Swim to the Surface!" during drowning.
- You cannot move a downed character, but you can move a drowning one.
Downed characters have access to three profession-determined downed skills and one skill common to all professions called Bandage. The skills in downed mode are considerably weaker, so it is necessary to act quickly to avoid being defeated, which occurs when character's downed health reaches zero.
For all professions, the first skill is a damaging skill, which will either inflict direct damage or damaging conditions. The second skill is used for defending yourself, such as warrior's Hammer Toss or elementalist's Vapor Form. The third skill is usually a skill with defensive utility use - for instance, a warrior can use Vengeance to fight normally for a short time while an elementalist can use Grasping Earth to immobilize and damage a foe.
The fourth skill, Bandage, can be channeled to stop the base health loss and to restore health, and doing so long enough will allow a downed player to rally. However, Bandage is interrupted by taking damage and thus is not effective if the downed character is still under attack.
The third and fourth slot skills start on a cooldown specific to each skill. Bandage has a recharge time of three seconds, but as different professions have different downed skills, all third slot skills don't necessarily have the same recharge times. The differences between each profession's downed skills mean that it is imperative to know what kind of downed skills each profession has, especially in PvP.
Recovering from downed state can be achieved in a couple of ways. In most cases rallying will occur by inflicting enough damage to an enemy to achieve a kill. Lone players can try and use their downed skills to finish the enemy off while fighting in a group will allow other players and NPC allies to help achieving a shared kill. Killing a critter will not rally a player.
Other than rallying, recovery from being downed can also be achieved by reviving via Bandage skill or by other allies reviving the downed player. Players will revive a downed player significantly faster than the player can heal themselves with Bandage.
Levelling up by any means also rallies the player.
Failing to recover from downed mode will force the downed character into defeated state and allow them to travel to a nearby waypoint or wait for allies for revival.
Finishing enemy players
- See also: Finish
In World vs World and Structured PvP, downed enemy players can be finished for an immediate kill. When near a downed enemy, the message "FINISH THEM!! [F]" is displayed. Pressing F begins an action similar to a channeled skill which takes about 3 seconds to execute. Moving or being disabled will interrupt this action, but taking damage will not.
- Strength of the Fallen - Lose conditions at a set time interval. Health degenerates more slowly while downed.
- Vengeful Return - Vengeance has an increased chance to rally and gain more health and endurance when you rally.
- Serpent's Touch - Stealing inflicts poison. While in the downed state, your attacks apply poison.
- Concealed Defeat - Create a smoke screen when downed. Deception abilities recharge faster.
- Death's Embrace - Inflict vulnerability when you strike a foe below the health threshold. Deal more damage while downed.
- Fear of Death - Your fear effects have increased durations. Inflict fear on foes when you are downed.
- Death Nova - Minions explode in a cloud of poison when they die. This effect also triggers when you are downed. When you kill an enemy, summon a Jagged Horror minion to fight by your side.
|0||10m||Rabbit Offering||+20% Downed health|
|0||30m||Bowl of Salsa||+20% Downed health|
|15||30m||Bowl of Bean Salad||+30% Downed health|
|40||30m||Bowl of Avocado Salsa|| +50% Downed health |
+6% Damage while downed
|45||30m||Bowl of Chickpea Salad|| +60% Downed health |
+10% Damage while downed
|70||30m||Bowl of Mango Salsa|| +80% Downed health |
+14% Damage while downed
|80||30m||Bowl of Fire Salsa|| +100% Downed health |
+20% Damage while downed
- The downed system does not unlock until level 5. Lower level characters that lose all health are defeated instantly. The second slot unlocks at level 16 and third slot at level 19.
- The "FINISH THEM!!" message is a reference to the Mortal Kombat video game series where the announcer says the same line as a player delivers the FATALITY.
- Prior to the September 2014 Feature Pack, all characters had access to the downed state.