Downed is the mode a character enters when their health reaches below zero. In this state, a character is unable to move or fight regularly but has access to four downed skills for a chance to rally by killing an enemy and continue fighting.
 Significance and mechanics
 Becoming downed
Being in downed mode means that your character can not use skills, their profession mechanics, dodge or even move. These effects of being downed are accompanied by visual effects like fading, blood-tinted vision and your character falling to the ground. If you were being attacked by a nearby enemy when you were downed, they will probably continue to do so since you can no longer move or dodge. However, you are not completely defenseless yet, and so may get your chance to rally and continue the fight. Each time you are downed will incur one point downed penalty which will reduce your downed mode health by 25% and each point will last for one minute. When you have been downed four times within one minute you will be automatically defeated without the chance to fight back.
- Upon being downed, the message "Fight To Survive!" is displayed.
- While drowning, the message "Swim to the Surface!" is displayed.
 Downed skills
Downed characters have access to three profession-determined downed skills and one skill common to all professions called Bandage. The skills in downed mode are considerably weaker, so it is necessary to act quickly to avoid being defeated, which occurs when character's downed health reaches zero.
For all professions, the first skill is a damaging skill, which will either inflict direct damage or damaging conditions. The second skill is used for defending yourself, such as warrior's Hammer Toss or elementalist's Vapor Form. The third skill is usually a skill with defensive utility use - for instance, a warrior can use Vengeance to fight normally for a short time while an elementalist can use Grasping Earth to immobilize and damage a foe.
The fourth skill, Bandage, can be channeled to restore health, and doing so long enough will allow a downed player to rally. However, Bandage is interrupted by taking damage and thus is not effective if the downed character is still under attack.
The third and fourth slot skills start on a cooldown specific to each skill. Bandage has a recharge time of three seconds, but as different professions have different downed skills, all third slot skills don't necessarily have the same recharge times. The differences between each profession's downed skills mean that it is imperative to know what kind of downed skills each profession has, especially in PvP.
Rangers can still command their pet to attack, retreat, use pet skills and change it while downed.
Recovering from downed state can be achieved in a couple of ways. In most cases rallying will occur by inflicting enough damage to an enemy to achieve a kill. Lone players can try and use their downed skills to finish the enemy off while fighting in a group will allow other players and NPC allies to help achieving a shared kill. Killing a critter will not rally a player.
Other than rallying, recovery from being downed can also be achieved by reviving via Bandage skill or by other allies reviving the downed player. Players will revive a downed player significantly faster than the player can heal themselves with Bandage.
Failing to recover from downed mode will force the downed character into defeated state and allow them to travel to a nearby waypoint or wait for allies for revival.
 Finishing enemies in PvP
- See also: Finish
Unlike creatures in PvE, players in PvP will have much more health in downed mode, but can be finished for an immediate kill. When near a downed enemy in PvP, the message "FINISH THEM!! [F]" is displayed. Pressing F begins an action similar to a channeled skill which takes about 3 seconds to execute. Moving or being disabled will interrupt this action, but taking damage will not.
- Revenge of the Fallen - 50% increased damage
- Strength of the Fallen - lose health 33% slower
- Sweet Revenge - 100% chance to rally after a kill while Vengeanced
- Always Prepared - drop a kit and bandages, 25% increased damage
- Instinctual Bond - your pet gains quickness
- Circle of Life - create a Healing Spring
- Back Fighting - 50% increased damage
- Concealed Defeat - throw up a Smoke Screen
- Lava Tomb - create a Lava Font
- Retaliatory Demise - gain 5 seconds of Retaliation
- Death's Embrace - 50% increased damage
- Fear of Death - apply fear to enemies
 Related consumables
- Bowl of Fire Salsa - For 30 minutes, grants +100% health and +20% damage while downed. (Level 80 Required)
- Bowl of Mango Salsa - For 30 minutes, grants +80% health and +14% damage while downed. (Level 70 Required)
- Bowl of Avocado Salsa - For 30 minutes, grants +50% health and +6% damage while downed. (Level 40 Required)
 See also
- The "FINISH THEM!!" message is a reference to the Mortal Kombat video game series where the announcer says the same line as a player delivers the FATALITY.