Moas are a type of flightless bird found throughout Tyria. Rangers can charm the juvenile versions of some moas as terrestrial pets.
These flightless birds are capable of supporting the player and his or her party with squawks that do different things.
A list of moa skills can be located here.
- The moa's in-game grunt is a combination of the recorded noises from a walrus, a leopard, and a raven.
- The moa was a flightless bird native to present-day New Zealand, until it was hunted to extinction by the Māori people just over 600 years ago. There were 9 species, some larger than ostriches. Moas had hair-like feathers, no wings at all, long necks with small heads and beaks, and long thick legs. They ate plants.
- The moas in Guild Wars 2 bear little resemblance to the extinct moas of New Zealand. Rather, they have much in common physically with an extinct family of flightless birds from South America, the Phorusrhacidae, or "terror birds". Unlike the moas in-game, terror birds were predatory and had smaller wings. The last members of the Phorusrhacidae family went extinct about 2 million years ago.
- ^ Interview: meet Guild Wars 2’s acrobatic Ranger, PC Gamer
- ^ Eric Flannum Fields Your Ranger Questions, ArenaNet blog