Our strength will shake the foundations of the world.
— Rytlock Brimstone
As a cub, Rytlock was one of the striplings, which is what the smallest of his fahrar were called. He was often pejoratively called "Runtlock", until he "made them stop". After that, he banded together with the rest of the striplings, and served as their leader. With them, he said he "taught the bullies a few lessons".
Soldier Rytlock Brimstone first met Logan Thackeray in 1319 AE when Logan, then a scout, ambushed Rytlock's group, an Iron Legion raiding party, at the Blazeridge Gap. Rytlock, then a mere soldier, had joined up with this group of his own accord, and was known to be a fierce if unpopular member of his Legion. Rytlock's group pursued Logan's, but the two were forced to team up when they were attacked by Chiefling Ygor, all the time being watched by the Firstborn sylvari Caithe, who led them to safety. After getting into a fight over Sohothin in Lion's Arch, the trio were thrown into the cells and forced to fight for their freedom by Captain Magnus Irondawn. They fought as Edge of Steel, and were undefeated until a group called Dragonspawn's Destiny bested them and commissioned them to help defeat the Dragonspawn, a champion of Jormag. Thus, Destiny's Edge was formed, and the group went onto many great accomplishments, until their abandonment by Logan during a battle with Kralkatorrik, which resulted in the deaths of both Snaff and Glint. The group parted ways on bad terms thereafter.
After the split of Destiny's Edge, Rytlock was demoted to scrapper, but rose quickly through the ranks of the Blood Legion. When he first returned, an overseer called him a traitor, and Rytlock killed him. That's how he became an overseer. Later, a legionnaire called him a deserter, and Rytlock killed him as well. That's how he became a legionnaire. By 1325 AE, Rytlock was a tribune, the highest but one rank in the Blood Legion. After Caithe made several disastrous attempts to reform Destiny's Edge in order to battle Zhaitan, Rytlock and Logan had a chance encounter at the Citadel of Flame, where both commanded groups seeking to defeat Gaheron Baelfire. After Logan saved Rytlock's life, relations grudgingly improved between the two of them, and after helping Zojja in the Crucible of Eternity they left to the Ruined City of Arah. With the legendary guild reunited, they helped defeat the Elder Dragon aboard the Glory of Tyria.
A year later, Rytlock took part in a defense quorum to address the threat of the Molten Alliance. He has since been testing Rox to see if she is worthy of joining the Stone warband. He has tasked Rox with multiple missions:
- Overseeing the situation in Sparkfly Fen, since the dragon champion Tequatl the Sunless had become more powerful since the defeat of Zhaitan, and bring him back its tail.
- Act as a Charr representative during the Queen's Jubilee.
- Slay Scarlet Briar. This mission she chose to ignore in order to mend Braham.
As of the Entangled update, Rytlock is absent from his seat in the Black Citadel.
After Mordremoth awakened and attacked waypoints all over Tyria, Rytlock attempted to use Sohothin and the reassembled crown of King Adelbern to dispel the Foefire. During the ritual, the sword fell down a chasm opened in the crypt floor, and Rytlock jumped after it, taking many ghosts with him but failing not complete the ritual. Rox theorized that he fell through a portal to the Mists, and Imperator Smodur the Unflinching believed that Rytlock would return to finish the Foefire cleansing. In recognition for his effort, the Imperator agreed to attend the upcoming summit of world leaders.
- Ascalonian Catacombs (story)
- Twilight Arbor (story)
- Citadel of Flame (story)
- Crucible of Eternity (story)
- The Ruined City of Arah (story)
 Personal storyline involvement
- Fury of the Dead
- Time for a Promotion
- Magic Users
- The End of the Line
- Rage Suppression
- Operation: Bulwark
- The Tribune's Call
- The Flame Advances
- Quick and Quiet
- Ghostbore Musket
- Test Your Metal
- Ghostbore Artillery
- Deadly Force
- An Unusual Inheritance
- Mired Deep
- In the Ruins
- Thicker Than Water
- Dishonorable Discharge
- Searching for the Truth
- Sins of the Father
- Tribunes in Effigy
- Graveyard Ornaments
- Undead Infestation
- Whispers in the Dark
- Dangerous Research
- Digging Up Answers
- Defending the Keep
- Undead Detection
- Research and Destroy
- Whispers of Vengeance
- Ever Vigilant
- Dredging up the Past
- Stealing Secrets
- A Fragile Peace
- A Light in the Darkness
- Victory or Death
 Living World involvement
- Flame and Frost: The Razing
- Braham: Help from the Legions
- Rox: Critical Mission
- Flame and Frost: Retribution
- Rox: Avenger of the Dispossessed
- The Origins of Madness
- The Origins of Madness: A Moment's Peace
- The Dragon's Reach: Part 1
- Plan of Attack
 Combat abilities
Note: Rytlock's skills are unique, in that he may wield a pistol in his off-hand. As such, he uses a combination of warrior skills and thief skills.
- Unshakable - Gains defiance when targeted by crowd-control skills. Blind is 10% as effective. Weakness and vulnerability last 50% less time.
- Sever Artery - Bleed your foe with a slash.
- Savage Leap - Lunge at your foe and strike them with your sword.
- Final Thrust - Strike your foe with a final powerful thrust that does extra damage against injured foes.
- Headshot - Daze your foe with a head shot.
- Pistol Whip - Pistol-whip your foe, stunning them, then slash repeatedly with your sword.
For previous dialogue, see here.
For previous dialogue, see here.
- Rytlock is voiced by Steve Blum.
- Rytlock likely oversees ghost conflicts around the Ascalon City ruins and the Great Northern Wall. This is supported by the fact that Charr fighting around that area report to him (Fural Rageseeker). Also, one of the reasons for his anger at Eir Stegalkin when she disturbed the Ghosts of King Adelbern and his lieutenants in the Ascalon Catacombs, and almost caused them to launch an assault, may have been because he would be responsible for stopping the ghost forces. He was also the only Tribune at the head of the assault on Duke Barradin and his ghosts during the Dukes siege on Smokestead.