Tequatl the Sunless
- This article is about the world boss. For the achievement category, see Tequatl.
Tequatl the Sunless
- Part of
- Defeat Tequatl the Sunless
Click to enlarge
There's something in the water. Help!
Tequatl the Sunless is one of Zhaitan's champions and a World boss. Tequatl, whose name means "the one in darkness" in the language of the hylek (thus, with hylek calling Risen "the Sunless", its name roughly translates into "risen one in the darkness"), has long plagued the Splintered Coast of Sparkfly Fen, opposed by the Vigil, the sylvari of Caer Brier, the asura of the United Arcanist Lab, the quaggans of Brooloonu, and the local hylek tribes. The hylek tribes and Vigil were only ever able to push Tequatl back, forcing it to retreat.
Recently, Vigil tacticians have reported that Tequatl seems to have "evolved" and its attacks have become more elaborate as it learned from each encounter with the order. As such, it has become more difficult to fight. Warmaster Narru was dispatched by General Almorra Soulkeeper to investigate the reports theorizing that it may be a response to the Pact offensive in Orr.
ArenaNet confirmed that "Tequatl’s evolution is an aftereffect of the death of Zhaitan. The magic used to create Tequatl is no longer being controlled by Zhaitan, but it still exists within Tequatl. Therefore, like many uncontrolled magics, it is experiencing an evolution and it is shaping itself."
At a similar time, Tribune Rytlock Brimstone sent Rox to track and kill Tequatl the Sunless. After tracking Tequatl down with the help of many others, Rox took Tequatl's tail as a trophy of its defeat. It is unclear but implied that Tequatl is canonically dead after this - at the very least, Rox believes Tequatl to be dead.
- Defeat Tequatl the Sunless (65) [Group Event]
- Defend the Megalaser and the batteries in the east, west, and north (65) [Group Event]
|Boss|| Spawn time
|Tequatl the Sunless||00:00 UTC||Sparkfly Fen||Splintered Coast|
|Tequatl the Sunless||03:00 UTC||Sparkfly Fen||Splintered Coast|
|Tequatl the Sunless||07:00 UTC||Sparkfly Fen||Splintered Coast|
|Tequatl the Sunless||11:30 UTC||Sparkfly Fen||Splintered Coast|
|Tequatl the Sunless||16:00 UTC||Sparkfly Fen||Splintered Coast|
|Tequatl the Sunless||19:00 UTC||Sparkfly Fen||Splintered Coast|
- Can be triggered out of the normal schedule with a Guild World Event.
- As the event Defend the Megalaser and the batteries in the east, west, and north begins Tequatl descends, and each time Tequatl becomes vulnerable it can lose up to 25% of its maximum health.
- Hardened Scales - Tequatl's scales harden over time. At 20 stacks he becomes invulnerable.
- Poison Pool - Tequatl lifts its front-right foot and summons multiple area of effect fields that pulse every 1 second over 6 seconds, dealing damage and inflicting Crippled for 10 seconds with each pulse. Despite having poison in the name, they do not apply the poisoned condition. These circles are similar in appearance to the AoE created by Tequatl's Fingers with clouds of poison, but have a blacker coloring and are larger. These fields are not cleansable by Hylek Turrets and will damage the turrets.
- Undead Breath - Frontal area effect that lasts for 5 seconds, dealing damage while causing Poison and Fear for 5 seconds every 1 second.
- Shockwave - Tequatl stomps with each front foot, creating a wave that travels outward from the foot it used. Each wave deals damage 3 times and Launches on collision but players can dodge through to evade or time jumps to avoid them completely. This skill is used very frequently. Players standing too close to where Tequatl stomps will be hit by the wave 3 times from multiple directions, taking massive amounts of damage.
- Dragon Barrage - Frontal area effect that fires slow moving projectiles toward randomly selected enemies, Knockback on collision.
- Watery Grave - Creates multiple whirlpool area of effect fields that last for 3 seconds, pulling players beneath the ground into a special underwater area. While underwater, players are afflicted with Watery Grave, taking damage over time until they swim up to patches of light that lead to the surface. This skill is the only way players can enter the unique underwater area.
- Dragon's Step - High-damage point-blank area effect that occurs where Tequatl places its feet while walking or adjusting its position. This skill deals lethal damage when it occurs during the transition between phase 1 and phase 2 and as the dragon is escaping after the event has failed. During the encounter, players that are too close to Tequatl's feet after the dragon uses other skills can also be hit by this attack, but it deals significantly less damage this way. The exact amount of damage this skill deals during the encounter appears to vary and it can also occasionally Launch.
- Tail Swipe - Cone area effect behind Tequatl that hits up to 1-6 times and Launches. This only occurs when the dragon stomps, uses Undead Breath, or summons Fingers.
- Tequatl buries its two front feet into the ground, summoning multiple Tequatl's Fingers all across the Splintered Coast.
- The Fingers always appear in the same fixed locations.
- When they spawn, Fingers cause a point-blank area effect Launch.
- Fingers throw reflectible projectiles which create AoE poison fields upon landing that pulse direct damage every second. (Despite appearing to be poison clouds, the poisoned condition is not actually applied.) These AoE fields have light green poison clouds in appearance and are smaller than the Poison Pool fields. Hylek Turrets can use their skill #3 Poison Cleanse to remove the fields. If the Fingers are not destroyed, they will continue to periodically throw poison and can put a considerable amount of pressure on players over time. These fields will only damage players/NPCs and will not damage Hylek Turrets.
- This summoning skill is always used after the first stomp at the beginning of each primary phase (about 10 seconds in), and will be used regularly every 90 seconds.
- Passively summons multiple Bloated Creepers during the encounter.
- Tequatl had its boss fight mechanics overhauled with the September 17th, 2013 update, as part of the Tequatl Rising release.
- Tequatl is immune to unique skill effects such as Binding Blade, Impale, and Tainted Shackles.
- Tequatl is not affected by potions or sigils with the "Undead Slaying" suffix, this includes Undead Battle Potions.
- Tequatl has a chance to drop Ascended chest upon its defeat.
- The Nahuatl word "tecuani" means "biter", "wild beast", or "poisonous" according to how it is used; "coatl" means snake.
- This creature has a miniature version.