Ascalonian Catacombs (story)
- This article is about the story mode of Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon. For explorable mode, see Ascalonian Catacombs (explorable).
“Eir Stegalkin, the norn hero, has gone into these ancient, ghost-haunted catacombs. Rytlock Brimstone wants you to go after her, before she stirs up King Adelbern's long-dead citizens.
— In-game description
Rytlock meets the heroes at the entrance to the dungeon, stating he’s here to find Eir. Rytlock recounts the end of the Ascalonian war and the events of the Foefire (with a clear charr bias). Eir is in the catacombs seeking Magdaer; however their presence disturbs the ghost of King Adelbern, who vows to prepare his ghostly army and eliminate the charr from Ascalon once and for all. Rytlock develops a plan to lure Adelbern out. Destroy all his lieutenants and anger him, which will draw the dead king out to fight.
 Dungeon information
- Find out what's happening inside of the old Ascalonian catacombs.
- 8 Silver
- Experience based on the players' level
 Finding Eir
- Rangers are difficult to deal with because of their use of traps. One tactic to counter this is to draw the rangers into melee combat; if the party is in melee range, the rangers will use their bows, not their traps, making fights much easier.
- When encountering the fireball trap room, it is advisable to run past instead of destroying the traps inside. A new waypoint will spawn after defeating each of the three bosses -- even if a death were to occur, there is no need to go through the trap room again.(If there are ranged players it helps to drop the two dragon heads that are in LoS from the opposite side after running through, helping with respawning.)
 Master Ranger Nente
Nente will begin the fight on top of the pillar in the center of the room. This platform is accessible to all characters via a board that can be climbed up from the ground level. There are boulders lining the ring around this pillar.
Two party members can pass boulders to each other. One can pick up the boulder from the ring and throw it at Nente. The other would be on the pillar to pick up the boulder and throw it at Nente. (The boulder will still go through Nente, knocking him down, and then back to your partner.)
When Nente reaches half-health, he will teleport to the ring and summon a melee companion to aid him. While Nente is on the outer platform he will only use melee attacks. Crippling and chilling the enemies is effective. Kill the companion first then attack Nente. Nente will teleport back to the pillar and the two party members can pass the boulders again.
At quarter-health, Nente will repeat this process. After defeating Nente, his chest will spawn at the end of the outer ledge.
 Kasha Blackblood
Kasha Blackblood is a very simple encounter. Thanks to the boulder in the room, two party members can "pass" the boulder "through" Kasha to each other. This effectively keeps Kasha knocked down. She may very quickly summon a well while getting back up. If one of the two "passers" waits too long to throw the boulder, Kasha may summon minions with low health pools. Kasha can steal life from these minions.
 Ralena and Vassar
Ralena and Vassar are true lovers and being near each other makes them a much more dangerous threat. When the white circles around each boss is intersecting, each boss will gain "Lover's Embrace". Ralena will launch players that get too close while Vassar will reflect projectiles. Be careful when Vassar has projectile reflect up; Your pulls may be reflected and you will instead be pulled to him. Separate the two and deal with them individually.
- A player can use Fear to move them away from each other. This is especially useful when they teleport back to the center.
- Boulders can be used to push them away from each other and interrupt the more dangerous attacks. (May prove to be unreliable after the first two hits or if they get positioned awkwardly).
- The party can move behind the braziers, out of the line of sight, causes the champions to split up if they target different party members.
- Once Vassar is next to a brazier as detailed above, a single player can continuously knock down him down with a boulder. His regular attacks do not deal much damage, making it quite easy to survive he won't be able to create phantasms. This leaves the rest of the party free to take down Ralena.
- Ralena and Vassar can be separated using the door the party entered from. Open the corridor to the north by putting a boulder on the pressure plate at the northern entrance. Lure them to the southern entrance, and as soon as one steps through, have a player take the boulder off the pressure plate, which will shut both doors. This will lock that player out, but leave the four other players free to take down either foe individually.
- Organized groups can simply train down Ralena or Vassar after moving them away from each other.
Ralena uses Lightning Strikes and creates Lightning Storms that deal moderate damage. Vassar will confuse and summon Phantasmal Mages and Phantasmal Swordsmans as well as a Chaos Storm at his position if players get too close. These phantasms can easily stack up confusion on players and are lethal if players get downed, so take them out quickly.
When Ralena or Vassar reaches 50% health, the two lover's will teleport to the center of the room, requiring players to split them up again. This will only happen once and they will remain where they are after the other lover reaches the same health. After splitting them up, a common tactic is to take down Ralena first while a couple players distract Vassar. This is primarily because Ralena doesn't like to move from her position at the start.
 King Adelbern
Return to the central area to face down King Adelbern. He fights alone and doesn't move from the center of the platform. He uses melee attacks against players that get near. He will cast Foefire AOE that does massive damage and must be avoided. He will use Binding Blade to pull all nearby party members next to him. This attack can be dodged and countered with stability. It's possible he will pull you into a Foefire circle, so be prepared to dodge out quickly. His final attack throws a dagger that deals heavy damage and launches you back, it will likely down lightly armored players in one hit. This attack has a short preparation time, making it very difficult to anticipate and dodge. If a party member is downed, check that they are not in a Foefire circle before attempting to revive them.
King Adelbern can be taken down rather easily with boulders. Two players stand on opposite sides of the king and repeatedly 4-5 throw boulders brought by the party. This will keep him knocked down for a majority of the battle. His ranged AoE attacks have a long preparation time, leaving him with only his melee and dagger throw to deal damage. Players can simply dodge away if they get pulled in and revive anyone that gets downed by the dagger throw while the two players keep him disabled.
- Ascalonian Mesmer
- Ascalonian Warrior
- Gate Guardian Napa
- Kasha Blackblood
- King Adelbern
- Master Ranger Nente
- Ralena Stormbringer
- Veteran Ascalonian Warrior
- Veteran Ascalonian Ranger
- Veteran Ascalonian Monk
- Veteran Ascalonian Mesmer
- Veteran Ascalonian Necromancer
- Veteran Gate Guardian
- Veteran Ascalonian Lieutenant
- Introduction Cinematic
- Rytlock: "You're the reinforcements? You'll have to do. That fool norn Eir has stirred up the ghosts down here."
- Rytlock: "Let me brief you. This place has a history, and I don't want your ignorance getting us killed."
- Rytlock: "This was originally charr land. The humans pushed us out and built Ascalon on top of it. Over two hundred years ago, we took our lands back."
- Rytlock: "The human king, Adelbern, watched his soldiers panic as we breached the city gates."
- Rytlock: "Facing certain defeat, the doomed king refused to surrender."
- King Adelbern: "Retreat? Retreat is not an option!"
- Rytlock: "Adelbern smashed his ancient blade Magdaer, and cursed Ascalon."
- King Adelbern: "Cowards! You will not abandon me!"
- Rytlock: "The blast incinerated the attacking legions and turned the defending humans into vengeful spirits."
- King Adelbern: "We will never surrender! Never!"
- Rytlock: "The ghosts see the living as invaders. They show no mercy and no weariness—only blind hatred. Adelbern's hatred."
- Rytlock: "And now Eir's gone right into the dead king's lair. What a mess."
- Rytlock: "We're going after her. She's causing trouble, and I don't want anyone dying because of her foolishness."
- Finding Eir
- Eir: "Rytlock, what are you doing here?"
- Rytlock: "I came to stop you from inciting a full-scale ghost rampage. What are you doing here?"
- Eir: "I'm looking for King Adelbern's legendary weapon, the sword called Magdaer."
- Rytlock: "Magdaer? Magdaer was destroyed when the Sorcerer-King set off the Foefire."
- Eir: "I think it survived. I believe the sword will be found at the top of these stairs."
- Rytlock: "You are following a foolish human legend."
- Eir: "You of all people should know the power of legends. You bear Magdaer's twin, Sohothin. It was Rurik's sword."
- Rytlock: "What if I do? Adelbern's sword is no more, just like his nation."
- Eir: "Then let us go to the top of the stairs and see for ourselves."
- Magdaer and Adelbern
- Eir: "Rytlock! The broken sword. It's the twin to your own!"
- Rytlock: "Worry more about the sword's master. Look there!"
- King Adelbern: "I sense Sohothin's presence. Rurik, my son! You've returned!"
- Rytlock: "Your son is dead. So is your kingdom. Leave us!"
- King Adelbern: "Foul creature! Your entire race will pay! Even now, my champions prepare to invade the surface."
- King Adelbern: "You will fall before the might of Master Ranger Nente, deadly Kasha Blackblood, and the lovers, Ralena and Vassar."
- King Adelbern: "We'll destroy you as you destroyed us!"
- Rytlock: "You frighten no one with your meaningless threats. We've killed you before; we'll do it again!"
- King Adelbern: "Hahahahahahahahaha!"
- Eir: "Now you've angered them."
- Rytlock: "They were already angry. Now we must find his champions and silence them."
- Master Ranger Nente
- Master Ranger Nente: "Your desire to destroy still unsatisfied, beast? Burning Ascalon not enough for you?"
- Rytlock: "As long as you stalk us, we'll fight you tooth and claw."
- Master Ranger Nente: "By Melandru's will, I will rend you from this world, charr!"
- Kasha Blackblood
- Kasha Blackblood: "Why are you here? This is the land of ghosts."
- Eir: "Stand down, spectre. We seek only to protect the living."
- Rytlock: "Don't chat with her, Eir! Dispatch her!"
- Vassar and Ralena
- Ralena: "Invaders in this holy place? How rude!"
- Ralena: "I will summon my dear Vassar and together we will make short work of you!"
- Eir Stegalkin: "Careful! She's got a friend! Keep them apart!"
- Final Confrontation
- King Adelbern: "What have you done!"
- Rytlock: "Your champions are gone, ghost! Just like your son and your kingdom!"
- King Adelbern: "I will have my vengeance! Join me in death!"
- Old Wounds
- King Adelbern: "You've defeated me, but what've you gained? Much deadlier things stir beneath us. They'll consume you all!"
- Eir: "Magdaer is shattered, but I know a blacksmith who can mend these pieces."
- Rytlock: "Did you really think that if you got me a sword you'd earn forgiveness?"
- Eir: "For you? The sword would be for Logan."
- Rytlock: "What? Why would you risk our lives, MY life, for that coward?"
- Eir: "I thought it would heal old wounds. It would remind you—"
- Rytlock: "Remind me of what, betrayal? Pah! You've become a sentimental old woman."
- Rytlock: "We're finished here!"
- Party leader: "Why does Rytlock hate Logan?"
- Eir: "Mistakes from a lifetime ago, best forgotten."
- Eir: "Rytlock's right. I've gotten too sentimental. Too weak."