The in-game mail system is a means of sending and receiving messages, items, and coin to and from other players. The mailbox is accessed via the UI (top left corner by default). Players may not delete messages if there are any items or coin attached.
Low level characters (on a new account where the highest character is below lvl 6) cannot compose a mail until they reach lvl 6.
Getting 100% map completion of explorable zones, reaching certain points in the living story and in your personal story, as well as reaching the minimum level to play in a dungeon will trigger receiving mail from various NPCs. 100% map completion mail will be a congratulatory letter from the Tyrian Explorers Society for the area.
Whenever you or another player send or receive mail, a mail carrier can be seen swooping across their character in-game. New mail carriers can be unlocked and can be selected in the hero panel or when sending mail.
List of mail carriers
- Mail-Carrier Pigeon (default)
- Griffon Mail Carrier
- Gifts Mail Delivery
- Ghostly Mail Courier
- Red Envelope Mail Carrier
- Confetti Mail Delivery
- Aviator Quaggan Mail Carrier
- You can send mail (and items or coin) to players on other worlds and even across regions, e.g. from a North American server to a European one.
- The maximum length of the subject line is 31 characters and messages are limited to 511 characters.
- You cannot send mail to your own characters; use the Account Vault to transfer items between them.
- The amount of items and coin transferable is capped for newer accounts. The cap is gradually alleviated as you progress in the game.
- You can only have 10 player-generated messages in your mailbox at any given time. Your current volume is denoted as
- Once your mailbox has reached this limit, you will not receive any mails that have been sent; mail beyond the limit will be queued to a backlog and received after you delete items in your inbox.
- A full inbox will also prevent deliveries of Gem Store purchases and certain other in-game messages. To prevent this from happening, keep your inbox as empty as possible.
- You can only have 15 non-player messages that do not count against the 10-message limit. Unlike the player messages, these will not be queued to wait for you to read. Instead, the oldest message is automatically deleted, even if you did not read it. Items in the deleted message will automatically be deposited in your inventory.
- Trial accounts can only send mail to a player who has added the trial account holder to their friend list.
- If the mail is sent from someone NOT from Anet but claiming to be from Anet it says in a box at the bottom of the mail that it was sent from another player. Do not click on links from scammers. You can report via the exclamation icon at the bottom of the email on the left side.