Karma () is a non-tradeable account-based currency that players can use to purchase items from karma merchants, including Renown heart NPCs and master craftsmen. The amount of karma you hold can be seen in the Wallet.
Karma can be obtained from:
- Events (20 –378 , based on event level)
- Hearts (90 –675 , based on event level)
- Fractals of the Mists (0 –3,400 ; see details)
- Karma consumables
The amount of karma acquired from the first three sources can be increased by various karma modifiers.
Karma consumables can be obtained from daily achievements, champion loot bags or certain chests, from activities, and from Lost Orrian Jewelry Boxes. They are sometimes also obtained during special events. The amount of karma from each consumable is fixed and cannot be increased by any means.
- ^ These items were no longer obtainable as of the September 3, 2013, update that increased karma consumables by 50%. The amounts shown for them are calculated and have not been verified in-game.
There are several ways to increase the amount of karma earned from events and running Fractals of the Mists. These modifiers do not affect karma consumables.
|50% Karma Bonus|| Karma Booster
Communal Boost Bonfire
|Guild Karma Boost||Guild Karma Banner||5%||Does not stack with other guild banner effect.|
|Guild Karma Banner Boost|| Guild Karma and Experience Banner
Guild Heroes Banner
|10%||Does not stack with other guild banner effect.|
|Guild Karma Boost||Guild Karma Bonus||3-10%||Requires Heart of Thorns; bonus depends on how many enhancements the guild has unlocked|
|Nourishment|| Ice Cream
|5%||Only one food buff may be active at a time.|
|Minty Breath||Candy Cane||10%||1 min per candy cane. Stacks duration up to 30 min.|
|Nourishment|| Scoop of Mintberry Swirl Ice Cream
Peppermint Omnomberry Bar
Tropical Peppermint Cake
|10%||Only one food buff may be active at a time.|
|Nourishment|| Peppermint Oil
Tin of Fruitcake
|10%||Only one utility buff may be active at a time.|
|Karmic Infusion||15%||Bonus active while equipped|
|Karma Gain||Achievement rewards||Varies||Permanent account bonus based on total achievement points earned|
|Volunteer's Blessing||Automatic||5%||Gained by volunteering to move to a new instance of a closing map|
|Total||+115%||(Not counting the Karma Gain account-wide bonus or the Volunteer's Blessing.)|
- Karma merchants, found throughout Tyria.
- Master craftsmen NPCs for high quality crafting recipes.
- Renown heart NPCs, after completing their required tasks.
- Karmic Converter, a unique item allowing players the choice of one reward per day in exchange for karma.
- The selection of items offered by karma vendors can be affected by local events; in particular, some items are only available after completing certain events. For example, Rhell Crankmane only offers Citadel Armor after you help him setup his ghost control machine.
- During the betas, you could earn karma by completing parts of your personal story, helping others complete their story, or completing renown hearts. This was removed upon release.
- Karma rewards were added to dungeon completion in the October 22, 2012 update.
- Karma was made account bound with the addition of wallet in the Queen's Jubilee release; prior to that, it was character bound.
- Karma consumables are not affected by boosts since the September 3, 2013 update. Each consumable was changed to grant around 50% more karma to compensate for this change.
- The karma icon was inspired by the Penrose triangle, an impossible object.