Our strength will shake the foundations of the world.
— Rytlock Brimstone
As a cub, Rytlock was one of the striplings, which is what the smallest of his fahrar were called – Rytlock was the youngest and smallest of them. He was often pejoratively called "Runtlock", until he and the other striplings banded together and, serving as their leader, "made them stop" by teaching the bullies “a few lessons.”
Rytlock Brimstone first met Logan Thackeray in 1319 AE when Logan, then a scout, ambushed the Iron Legion raiding party that Rytlock was stationed with at the Blazeridge Gap. Rytlock, then a mere soldier, had joined up with this group of his own accord to avoid his own warband whom he had stressed relations with at the time, and was known to be a fierce if unpopular member of his Legion. With the death of the Iron Legion Centurion Korrak Blacksnuot at his own hands, Rytlock took charge of the remains of the group and pursued Logan's, trapping them in a dead-end. However, the two groups were quickly forced to team up when they were attacked by Chiefling Ygor and his ogres, with only Rytlock and Logan surviving at the end of the initial skirmish. Joined by the Firstborn sylvari Caithe, the three fled from more ogres, and then destroyers to Lion's Arch. After destroying a building during a fight over Sohothin, the trio were thrown into jail and were offered to fight for their freedom by Captain Magnus Irondawn. They fought as Edge of Steel, and were undefeated until a group called Dragonspawn's Destiny bested them and commissioned them to help defeat the Dragonspawn, a champion of Jormag. Thus, Destiny's Edge was formed, and the group went onto many great accomplishments, until their battle with Kralkatorrik, which resulted in the deaths of both Snaff and Glint after Logan left to defend Ebonhawke from the Ogre Revolt. The group parted ways on bad terms thereafter. After the split of Destiny's Edge, Rytlock was demoted to scrapper, but rose quickly through the ranks of the Blood Legion by killing any superior that insulted him and taking their position until he reached the rank of Tribune.
By 1325 AE, Rytlock became the most renowned Blood Legion soldier in Ascalon. After Caithe made several disastrous attempts to reform Destiny's Edge in order to battle Zhaitan, Rytlock and Logan had a chance encounter at the Citadel of Flame, where both commanded groups seeking to defeat Gaheron Baelfire and investigate rumors of a powerful weapon the Flame Legion had that the Pact could use. After Logan saved Rytlock's life, relations grudgingly improved between the two of them, and after helping Zojja in the Crucible of Eternity they left for the Ruined City of Arah. With the legendary guild reunited, they helped defeat the Elder Dragon aboard the Glory of Tyria.
A year later, Rytlock took part in a defense quorum to address the threat of the Molten Alliance. After this, he gave Rox several missions to see if she was worthy of joining the Stone warband. These included: hunting the dragon champion Tequatl the Sunless which had become more powerful since the defeat of Zhaitan and bringing back its tail, acting as a charr representative during the Queen's Jubilee, and slaying Scarlet Briar. Rox failed in her final task, saving her friends Braham Eirsson and Marjory Delaqua instead, causing Rytlock to dismiss her as a free agent. Despite this, the two have an amiable relationship, and seem to have known each other since they were young.
During Rox's warband trials, Rytlock's activities included the investigation of the Energy Probes scattered throughout Tyria, and monitoring the threat posed by Scarlet. In 1327 AE, after years of research with the Durmand Priory, Rytlock came to believe he had found the correct combination of elements to reverse the Foefire spell. Prior to the Exodus, the Six Gods gave the Ascalonians two magical swords, Sohothin and Magdaer, and a magic crown. After gathering up the crown fragments, Rytlock headed into Barradin's Vaults to perform the ritual, but failed, and the sword was lost to the Mists. Since it is impossible to dispel the Ascalonian ghosts without Sohothin, Rytlock had to quickly follow the sword into the portal, which closed up behind him. Since then, Rytlock has been missing.
- Ascalonian Catacombs (story)
- Black Citadel
- Citadel of Flame (story)
- Graveyard Ornaments
- Undead Infestation
- Whispers in the Dark
- Dangerous Research
- Digging Up Answers
- Defending the Keep
- Undead Detection
- Research and Destroy
- Whispers of Vengeance
- Ever Vigilant
- Braham: Help from the Legions
- Rox: Critical Mission
- Rox: Avenger of the Dispossessed
- The Origins of Madness: A Moment's Peace
Rytlock's skills are unique, in that he may wield a pistol in his off-hand. As such, he uses a combination of warrior skills and thief skills.
- Unshakable - Gains defiance when targeted by crowd-control skills. Blind is 10% as effective. Weakness and vulnerability last 50% less time.
- Sever Artery - Bleed your foe with a slash.
- Savage Leap - Lunge at your foe and strike them with your sword.
- Final Thrust - Strike your foe with a final powerful thrust that does extra damage against injured foes.
- Headshot - Daze your foe with a head shot.
- Pistol Whip - Pistol-whip your foe, stunning them, then slash repeatedly with your sword.
For previous dialogue, see here.
For previous dialogue, see here.
- Rytlock is voiced by Steve Blum.
- Rytlock likely oversees ghost conflicts around the Ascalon City ruins and the Great Northern Wall. This is supported by the fact that Charr fighting around that area report to him (Fural Rageseeker). Also, one of the reasons for his anger at Eir Stegalkin when she disturbed the Ghosts of King Adelbern and his lieutenants in the Ascalon Catacombs, and almost caused them to launch an assault, may have been because he would be responsible for stopping the ghost forces. He was also the only Tribune at the head of the assault on Duke Barradin and his ghosts during the Duke's siege on Smokestead.
- Rytlock is likely to play a large role in the Heart of Thorns expansion, as he will become the first member of the upcoming Revenant profession.