Our strength will shake the foundations of the world.
— Rytlock Brimstone
As a cub, Rytlock was one of the striplings, which is what the smallest of his fahrar were called – Rytlock was the youngest and smallest of them. He was often pejoratively called "Runtlock", until he and the other striplings banded together and, serving as their leader, "made them stop" by teaching the bullies "a few lessons."
Rytlock Brimstone first met Logan Thackeray in 1319 AE when Logan, then a scout, ambushed the Iron Legion raiding party that Rytlock was stationed with at the Blazeridge Gap. Rytlock, then a mere soldier, had joined up with this group of his own accord to avoid his own warband whom he had stressed relations with at the time, and was known to be a fierce if unpopular member of his Legion. With the death of the Iron Legion Centurion Korrak Blacksnout at his own hands, Rytlock took charge of the remains of the group and pursued Logan's, trapping them in a dead-end. However, the two groups were quickly forced to team up when they were attacked by Chiefling Ygor and his ogres, with only Rytlock and Logan surviving at the end of the initial skirmish. Joined by the Firstborn sylvari Caithe, the three fled from more ogres, and then destroyers to Lion's Arch. After destroying a building during a fight over Sohothin, the trio were thrown into jail and were offered to fight for their freedom by Captain Magnus Irondawn. They fought as Edge of Steel, and were undefeated until a group called Dragonspawn's Destiny bested them and commissioned them to help defeat the Dragonspawn, a champion of Jormag. Thus, Destiny's Edge was formed, and the group went onto many great accomplishments, until their battle with Kralkatorrik, which resulted in the deaths of both Snaff and Glint after Logan left to defend Ebonhawke from the Ogre Revolt. The group parted ways on bad terms thereafter. After the split of Destiny's Edge, Rytlock was demoted to scrapper, but rose quickly through the ranks of the Blood Legion by killing any superior that insulted him and taking their position until he reached the rank of Tribune.
By 1325 AE, Rytlock became the most renowned Blood Legion soldier in Ascalon. After Caithe made several disastrous attempts to reform Destiny's Edge in order to battle Zhaitan, Rytlock and Logan had a chance encounter at the Citadel of Flame, where both commanded groups seeking to defeat Gaheron Baelfire and investigate rumors of a powerful weapon the Flame Legion had that the Pact could use. After Logan saved Rytlock's life, relations grudgingly improved between the two of them, and after helping Zojja in the Crucible of Eternity they left for the Ruined City of Arah. With the legendary guild reunited, they helped defeat the Elder Dragon aboard the Glory of Tyria.
A year later, Rytlock took part in a defense quorum to address the threat of the Molten Alliance. After this, he gave Rox several missions to see if she was worthy of joining the Stone warband. These included: hunting the dragon champion Tequatl the Sunless which had become more powerful since the defeat of Zhaitan and bringing back its tail, acting as a charr representative during the Queen's Jubilee, and slaying Scarlet Briar. Rox failed in her final task, saving her friends Braham Eirsson and Marjory Delaqua instead, causing Rytlock to dismiss her as a free agent. Despite this, the two have an amiable relationship, and seem to have known each other since they were young.
During Rox's warband trials, Rytlock's activities included the investigation of the Energy Probes scattered throughout Tyria, and monitoring the threat posed by Scarlet. In 1327 AE, after years of research with the Durmand Priory, Rytlock came to believe he had found the correct combination of elements to reverse the Foefire spell. Prior to the Exodus, the Six Gods gave the Ascalonians two magical swords, Sohothin and Magdaer, and a magic crown. After gathering up the crown fragments, Rytlock headed into Barradin's Vaults to perform the ritual, but failed, and the sword was lost to the Mists. Since it is impossible to dispel the Ascalonian ghosts without Sohothin, Rytlock had to quickly follow the sword into the portal, which closed up behind him. Since then, Rytlock has been missing.
With Rytlock no where to be seen since Season 2, Rytlock first appears from a mist portal during the mission "Torn from the Sky" where he is first seen as the new class, the Revenant. Using the new skills he acquired in the mists, he helps the pact commander and the group to defeat an attack from Mordremoth's minions. Rox is interested in how he has changed but Rytlock admits to focus on the dragon instead of his story in the mists.
The pact commander then decides in the mission "In Their Footsteps" to let Braham and Rytlock scout ahead for the missing members of Destiny's Edge. Rytlock uses his new powers to locate Eir Stegalkin, witnessing Faolain stab her, leaving her to be killed by Mordremoth's Vinetooth minion. Rytlock helps the commander and the group defeat the vinetooth and is forced to continue on before the other members of Destiny's Edge meet the same fate. After the death of Eir, Rytlock and the group encounter Caithe and the newly corrupted Vinetooth Faolain. With the egg being dropped, Rytlock distracts Faolain as the commander snatches the egg and flees. The group later splits up again and Rytlock goes with one half of the group to track down the other members of Destiny's Edge.
After tracking down and rescuing both Zojja and Logan, Rytlock helps the Pact Commander take down the vinetooth Faolain. They later track down Trahearne who was trapped by the dragon, and in order to defeat Mordremoth, the Commander needs to enter the mind of the dragon through Trahearne. Rytlock expressed his wish to not enter the mind of Mordremoth due to his prolonged experiences in the mists and instead stays behind to protect the bodies of those who entered. In the mind of Mordremoth, A cloned version of Revenant Rytlock is used to try and kill the Commander, which then gets converted by the Commander and used as an ally to help fight against Mordremoth. Rytlock witnessed the death of both Trahearne and Mordremoth by the Commander's hands.
At Eir's funeral, Rytlock puts forth the idea that Destiny's Edge is dead and it's time to form a new guild. This leads to the birth of "Dragon's Watch". During the visit over in Rata Novus, he crumpled up a summons to the Black Citadel - the latest in a string of such summons. He accompanies Almorra on her airship when it gets pulled into Bloodstone Fen, and helps with the attack to "retrieve" Caudecus from the White Mantle.
After learning that Primordus is active, he meets with the Commander and Taimi in Rata Novus and even participates in the simulation against the Destroyers. After leaving the dragon lab, he is cornered by two charr soldiers who are prepared to forcibly take Rytlock - who has been stripped of his rank - to the Citadel.
- Ascalonian Catacombs (story)
- Black Citadel
- Citadel of Flame (story)
- Bloodtide Coast (moved around, during The Origins of Madness)
- Tower of Nightmares (zone)
- Episode 1: Getting the Band Back Together
- Chapter 2: Sins of the Father
- Chapter 3: Crystal Corruption
- Chapter 4: Order Neophyte
- Chapter 6: The Battle of Claw Island
- Chapter 8: Victory or Death
- Episode 3: Flame and Frost: The Razing
- Episode 4: Flaem and Frost: Retribution
- Episode 16: The Origins of Madness
- Episode 3: The Dragon's Reach: Part 1
Heart of Thorns story
- Act I
- Act II
- Act III
- Act IV
- Episode 1: Out of the Shadows
- Rytlock often wields a pistol in his off-hand; when he does, he uses a combination of thief main-hand pistol and warrior main-hand sword skills.
- If wielding a pistol, he will fight at range until enemies approach him.
- Sever Artery - Bleed your foe with a slash.
- Final Thrust - Strike your foe with a final powerful thrust that does extra damage against injured foes.
- Vital Shot - Bleed your foe with a shot to the vitals.
- Body Shot - Make your foe vulnerable with a body shot.
- Preparation Thrust - Stab your foe with your sword, inflicting vulnerability.
- Precision Strike - Strike nearby foes with precision, sending out blades that damage and chill them.
- Unrelenting Assault - Shadowstep and unleash fierce attacks on nearby foes. Gain might each time you damage a foe.
- Facet of Strength - Place the Facet of Strength on yourself to grant nearby allies might every few seconds.
- Chaotic Release - Consume Facet of Chaos releasing chaotic winds damaging and knocking back foes while granting superspeed to allies. Facet of Chaos will be disabled while this skill is recharging.
For previous dialogue, see here.
- At Dragon's Stand (Heart of Thorns) before completing Hearts and Minds
- I don't got a trace of plant in me, but up here, even I can feel the buzz under my fur. We're near Mordremoth's heart.
Its magic—its influence—is strong.
- I got close enough to blow kisses at both Zhaitan and Kralkatorrik, but I feel Mordremoth's presence more strongly. It's eerily potent. I'll be glad to be rid of it.
It does seem more powerful than Zhaitan.
- Logan and Zojja...just can't catch a break. And then there's Eir. (huff) This one's on you, me, and Caithe, my friend.
- We've got this.
- At Dragon's Stand (Heart of Thorns) after completing Hearts and Minds
- Hah! That's two down, pal. You, Caithe, and I are part of an elite club now. The Elder Dragons might be forces of nature, but we've proven that we can tame them.
- Easy there. Don't strain yourself.
- You're one of a kind, Rytlock.
- Rytlock Brimstone (hallucination).jpg
Hallucination of Rytlock during Nightmare Chamber.
Rytlock as a hologram in Taimi's Game
- Concept art
- Rytlock is voiced by Steve Blum.
- Rytlock was originally a Warrior but over the course of Living World season 2 and Heart of Thorns, became a Revenant.
- As a warrior, Rytlock wears Dreadnought armor. As a revenant, he wears Mistward armor.
- Rytlock is a playable character in NCsoft's MOBA Master X Master.
- A character strangely resembling Rytlock appeared as a summon in the Guild Wars Wayfarer's Reverie update in 2013.