The Machine in Action
The Machine in Action
Join the Gear Warband's attack on the ghosts.
- Meet Ballista Geargrind outside Grendich Ruins.
- Defeat the Ascalonian ghosts.
- Enter the underground aqueduct.
- Search the aqueduct for Count Cargiss.
- Defeat Count Cargiss.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- Dolyak Mail, Duty-Bound Duffers
- Wolfborn Vest, Ragamuffin Toeshoes
- Sheepskin Doublet, Homespun Espadrilles
Meet your allies on the battlefield. After the opening cinematic ghosts will attack on all sides - defeat the ghosts and revive your charr allies when necessary. After several waves you will be instructed to head into the aqueduct to flush out Count Cargiss.
Head into the ruins, and down the tunnel marked by the green star on the mission map. Once all of your charr allies reach the center of the circled area champion Count Cargiss will appear (if he doesn't appear, clear out the minor ghosts to make sure your charr allies aren't distracted/stuck).
When meeting with Ballista (cinematic):
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: About time, Legionnaire. Where in the name of the Khan-Ur's claw have you been?
- Ballista Geargrind: Apologies, Centurion! We're here now. Gear warband is ready, our chugger is primed and operational, and I've recruited this norn to —
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: Spare me the details. Our target is the ghost Count Cargis. He's been directing the caravan attacks.
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: Intelligence places Cargiss and his ghosts in this area. I've had explosive charges placed along that aqueduct. We attack when they go off.
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: We're going to kick this hornets' nest to see what comes buzzing out. And if it's Cargiss, we're going to use that chugger to swat him down hard. Clear?
- Ballista Geargrind: Crystal. We'll form a defensive perimeter and stand by. Gear warband! Take your position and wait for the kill order!
Talking to Mangonel Gearstrip:
- Mangonel Gearstrip: You're in for a treat! There's nothing like an all-out assault. And you're in luck: There's a centurion watching.
Tell me about our target, Count Cargiss.
- I heard he was a judge way back when. He liked to hand down harsh sentences to prove how tough he was.
- He doesn't know tough. We'll teach him.
- Lucky for my legend, unlucky for these ghosts. Let's tear 'em up!
- Don't worry. We're saving our foolishness for the victory celebration.
- Then let's give him a show!
When the NPCs are in position:
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: Detonate the charges! Now!
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: That got their attention. Stand ready. Here they come!
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: These Ascalonians are too dumb to stay dead. Remind them!
After the ghosts are defeated (cinematic):
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: Burn it all! I was hoping for a bigger reaction from our ghostly playmates. Geargrind! You and I are taking a squad in to clear out that aqueduct!
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: Have the rest of your warband hold this position and stand by to back us up if we need it.
- Ballista Geargrind: Understood, sir. Slayer, Mangonel, take point! The rest of you stand by and be ready to attack on my signal. Look alive, people! We got a job to do!
Talking to your allies:
- Ballista Geargrind: This place is a giant maze with another maze underneath. Keep searching for the entrance, but stay alert. They can come at us fron anywhere.
- I'll be ready.
- Mangonel Gearstrip: That may take a while. Acalonians love to hide. But it's okay: we love to find them. You hear that, Cargiss? Gear warband is coming for you!
- Easy, Mangonel. He'll know we're here soon enough.
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: So far, so good, especially for an auxilliary. But the real test of a soldier's nerve is in that aqueduct: close quarter combat in the enemy's territory. Are you ready?
- Ready, Centurion. Once we find that door, I'll be the first one through it.
When Count Cargis is found:
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: There's Cargis! Focus on him!
- Count Cargis: This is a house of law. You animals have no place here. Ascalon will prevail!
After defeating Cargis (cinematic):
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: Good work, Geargrind. By the time these ghosts re-form, we'll have shored our defenses. Take your vehicle and move out.
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: Oh, and Legionnaire: I'm recommending your norn auxiliary for a special commendation. That was some damned fine fighting for a civilian. Dismissed!
- Ballista Geargrind: Nicely done, Slayer. You impressed the brass and made us all look good. Hey, we even voted to make you an honorary warband member. Congratulations, grunt.
- <Character name>: Ha! Does that come with drinking privileges?
- Mangonel Gearstrip: Only after we park our chugger.
- <Character name>: Done. Until we meet again, good hunting.
Talking to your allies:
- Ballista Geargrind: I planned to kill you on sight. Glad I didn't. If all norn fight like you, I see more auxiliaries in the Gear warband's future.
- Ha! Don't be hasty. Not every norn is as disciplined as I am.
- Mangonel Gearstrip: So, do you think your skaalds will write a poem about all this? I'm no good with fancy words, but I've punched a few poets. I'd like to hear what they'll say about us.
- Count on it. We'll open a keg and sing it loud until the rafters rattle!
- Centurion Gnaeus Quickfang: I'm impressed, and I don't impress easy. I never thought of norn as good soldiers, but you proved me wrong.
- The Gear warband deserves the credit. They showed me how to be a soldier.