The Semifinals is part of the personal story for norn characters who have chosen revenge in their biography by selecting they got in a fight at the moot and have completed First Attack or The Finishing Blow.
Defeat the Big Brawl's other semifinalists.
- Meet up with Balteus.
- Let Balteus know you're ready to fight.
- Defeat Gulthor in the ring.
- Gulthor Cruelhoof
- Tell Balteus you're ready for the next round.
- Defeat Caheris in the ring.
- Tell Balteus you're ready for the final round.
- Defeat Spatha in the ring.
- Spatha Greatblade
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- One of the following: Malign Chain Legs, Mighty Chain Legs, Resilient Chain Legs
- One of the following: Malign Seeker Pants, Mighty Seeker Pants, Resilient Seeker Pants
- One of the following: Malign Embroidered Pants, Mighty Embroidered Pants, Resilient Embroidered Pants
After a cinematic, tell Balteus when you are ready to fight. Your opponents are as follows:
- Gulthor Cruelhoof, a centaur. He uses knockdowns and knockbacks a lot. He also seems to get tripped up on the flat rocks in the middle of the area. When his shield is up he reflects damage back to you.
- A sylvari named Caheris. She is an elementalist and uses Ring of Fire and Fire Shield often; staying in melee can burn you up quickly. Using ranged attacks can be a good strategy with her.
- The final contestant is a charr warrior named Spatha Greatblade. She wields a greatsword. Again, using ranged attacks while you dodge and stay out of range of her greatsword can be a good strategy.
If you are not the primary player, your regular skills will be replaced with a few less useful ones:
- "Cheer": Give your ally might for 3 seconds.
- "Boo!": Give target 3 seconds of Vulnerability.
- Throw Refreshment: 5 seconds of Regen.
- Throw Junk: Daze target for 1 second.
All foes start as allies.
- Balteus Bloodletter: Get your tailless rump over here, Slayer. I need to talk to you.
Talking to Balteus (cinematic):
- <Character name>: Balteus Bloodletter? I'm here for the Big Brawl. I've got the token I received for completing the second challenge right here.
- Balteus Bloodletter: Congratulations, you're in. Welcome to the semifinals. It'll be all uphill from here.
- Balteus Bloodletter: This round of the Big Brawl is all one-on-ones. There are three rounds and two rules: don't leave the ring, and don't kill anybody. Got it?
- <Character name>: I got it. Three rounds, three wins, three steps closer to me shutting Mikkel Toivosson up for good.
- Balteus Bloodletter: You really don't like that guy, do you? I've had a few earsful of his obnoxious boasting, myself. Here's hoping you can shut his big mouth, provided you can get past the semifinals.
Talking to Gulthor before combat:
- Gulthor: Finally, a norn challenger. I'm going to enjoy kicking you into a bloody pulp.
- Enjoy it in your dreams, swayback. That's the only place it's going to happen.
Talking to Caheris before combat:
- Caheris: A pleasure to meet you! Just because we're facing each other in the ring doesn't mean we can't be civil, don't you agree? But expect no quarter once the match begins.
Agreed. But why is someone like you fighting for sport?
- For the experience! I have journeyed back and forth across Tyria, learning all about fighting. The Big Brawl is perfect for that!
It sure is. I can't wait to see what we have to teach each other.
- Indeed. Let me phrase this as a norn would: it will be an honor to test my skills against yours for...let's see, how would a true norn say it...for glory!
- Spoken like a true norn. See you in the ring.
- Interesting. I'll see you in the ring. Good luck.
- That's how it should be. I'll see you in the ring.
Talking to Spatha Greatblade before combat:
- Spatha Greatblade: Slayer of Issormir, eh? I hear you're the one to beat. And the current champion says that's pretty easy to do.
Yes, but who'd believe an ugly mug like Mikkel's over a pretty face like mine?
- Heh. Nice one. Well, I can't make promises, but I'll try to keep you from being too ugly when you're through. Good luck, Slayer.
- swiftness on the player character) Same to you, soldier. (Applies 1 minute of
It's true. I made mistakes when I fought Mikkel. Mistakes I'll never make again.
- Is that so? Me, I don't make mistakes. Let's see how much you've learned from yours.
- might on the player character) I'll be happy to teach you. See you in the ring. (Applies 1 minute of
When you wake up and your broken jaw heals, you can tell Mikkel how wrong he was.
- Ooh, touched a nerve there, did I? Good. I like an angry opponent. Makes things more interesting.
- fury on the player character) Then may you have interesting dreams after I knock you out. See you in the ring. (Applies 1 minute of
- I do my talking in the ring.
Talking to Spatha Greatblade again:
- Spatha Greatblade: Don't waste your breath. The only words I want to hear from you are "I give up."
- You'll grow old waiting to hear that from me. See you in the ring.
Telling Balteus you are ready for the first round:
- Balteus Bloodletter: If you're ready, <Character name>, get into the ring.
I'm ready. Let's go!
- All right, then. Let's see some action!
- I'm on my way.
I'm not ready yet, but I'll let you know when I am.
- Don't take too long. The crowd gets restless when there's nothing to cheer for.
- I'll be back as soon as I can.
If you leave the ring:
- Balteus Bloodletter: Where you think you're going? Get back in that ring!
Balteus announcing the first round:
- Balteus Bloodletter: Welcome to the semi-finals of the Big Brawl! Who will be crowned best mayhem-maker in all of Tyria?
- Balteus Bloodletter: Our first contestant hails from the frozen city of Hoelbrak. Let's welcome the mighty Slayer of the Ice Wurm, Issormir!
- Balteus Bloodletter: Next up: wanted by the Seraph, feared by humans everywhere, it's Gulthor Cruelhoof!
- Balteus Bloodletter: Two brawlers, each hungry for victory, each thirsty for blood. Contestants, ready yourselves and...fight!
- Gulthor Cruelhoof: I demand an opponent worthy of my strength!
- Mercenary: Yeah! Beat that filthy centaur!
- Gulthor Cruelhoof: You cannot stop me. You are not strong enough.
- Balteus Bloodletter: Did you see that hit? Of course you did!
- Gulthor Cruelhoof: You'll be in the Mists...long before me.
- Soldier: Tear them to shreds!
- Balteus Bloodletter: And that pony's officially broken. Congratulations to the winner of Round One: the Slayer of Issormir!
- Crowd cheers for <Character name>.
- Balteus Bloodletter: We're just getting started. Stay put, folks. You don't want to miss any of Round Two's mind-blowing action!
- Gulthor Cruelhoof: A true fighter. Even I had to pay attention!
Talking to Gulthor after defeating him:
- Gulthor: Fine. You beat me. I thought I knew how to fight two-legged types, but you showed me something new.
Happy to oblige. If you ever need another lesson, look me up.
- Hmph. I'll be watching at the finals. I hope Mikkel teaches you a lesson in pain and humiliation.
- The more people who see me beat Mikkel, the better.
- Don't worry, Gulthor. There's always next year.
Talking to Balteus for the second round:
- Balteus Bloodletter: Nice work. I thought the centaur would last longer than that! The crowd wants more, <Character name>! You ready for the next round?
I'm ready. Announce me.
- All right. The crowd loves you, kid. Keep the winning streak going.
- I will. You can bet on that.
Not just yet. Give me a minute.
- Whenever you're ready, then. The sooner, the better.
- Got it. I'll get back to you soon.
Balteus announcing the second round:
- Balteus Bloodletter: Looks like our norn contestant is ready for more! Who else is ready for Round Two?
- Balteus Bloodletter: Our sylvari contestant is pretty as a flower, but she's more bite than bark. Welcome, Caheris!
- Balteus Bloodletter: We have here two contestants—each sure of their might, each ready to brawl. Contestants, ready yourselves and...fight!
- Caheris: Follow the wind, wherever it may go.
- Caheris bows to <Character name>.
- Balteus Bloodletter: Such savagery. I love it!
- Caheris: Don't underestimate me.
- Soldier: Tear that sylvari's branches right off!
- Caheris: I must go on. I can't let my injuries stop me.
- Mercenary: Quit dancing around and hit somebody!
- Balteus Bloodletter: Somebody shout "timber," 'cause that tree has been felled. Round Two goes to the Slayer!
- Crowd cheers for <Character name>.
- Balteus Bloodletter: The best is yet to come. Still time to place your bets, but hurry. Round Three is coming right up!
- Caheris: It was a good fight, but I can see there's still more for me to learn.
Talking to Caheris after defeating her:
- Caheris: That was remarkable! Thank you for the lesson. I hope I provided an adequate challenge.
You are quite the formidable opponent. Perhaps we could spar again sometime.
- I'd love that! And I must go to Hoelbrak and see you fight Mikkel. He sounds beastly.
- Definitely. I'll look for you in the crowd during the finals.
- Absolutely. It was a grand fight. You're a natural-born brawler. See you next time!
Talking to Balteus for the final round:
- Balteus Bloodletter: I'm impressed. That sylvari is a lot more dangerous than most people think, but her "delicate little flower" routine didn't fool you. Ready for the last round?
You'd better believe it. Nothing can stop me, now!
- Talk is cheap. Get in the ring and prove it!
- Consider it done.
Not yet. Give me a moment.
- All right, but hurry up. You've got the crowd in the palm of your hand, but you'll lose 'em if you let 'em cool off.
- Don't worry, I won't be long.
Balteus announcing the final round:
- Balteus Bloodletter: What a titanic display of pugilistic perfection. Can it get any better? Of course it can.
- Balteus Bloodletter: Our last contestant kills at will, and even gives ghosts nightmares. Let's hear it for Spatha Greatblade!
- Balteus Bloodletter: This is it. Two remaining challengers, each ready to knock the other out of contention. Contestants, ready yourselves...and fight!
- Spatha Greatblade: You should be grateful you even had a chance to step into the ring with me.
- Spatha Greatblade points at <Character name>.
- Local: What are you doing out there? I've seen asura hit harder than that!
- Spatha Greatblade: No lumbering beast could be a match for a charr warrior!
- Local: I'm bored. Let's hear some bones breaking!
- Spatha Greatblade: You can't win. I'll crush you!
- Crowd cheers for <Character name>.
- Spatha Greatblade: Your moves were well-executed and strong. You have a bright future ahead of you.
- Spatha Greatblade salutes <Character name>.
After the final round (cinematic):
- Balteus Bloodletter: Not bad at all. I'm impressed enough to bet a big stack of coins on you to beat Toivosson now. Don't let me down.
- <Character name>: Don't worry, you're going to win that bet. That guy's been giving me grief for a long time, and I'm going to give it back ten times over.
- Balteus Bloodletter: Oh, before I forget, I got a message for you from Eir Stegalkin. She said to give it to you when—not if—you win this round.
- Balteus Bloodletter: She wants you to meet her at her homestead before the final fight. Do you really know her? If I could book a fighter like her, I could retire early.
- <Character name>: I think her tournament days are over, but I'll pass that along when I see her. Thanks for the info, Balteus. See you at the final round!
Talking with Spatha Greatblade:
- Spatha Greatblade: Not bad, Slayer. I've never seen moves like that. I would've been happy to beat Mikkel for you, but I guess you can do it yourself, now.
Ha! You're too kind. You're not a bad brawler, either. It was an honor to fight you.
- An honor to beat me, you mean. Enjoy it while you can, because I'll be back next year, tougher than ever.
- I look forward to it. See you around.
- Come and see it for yourself. Here's a tip: bet on me.
Talking with Balteus Bloodletter:
- Balteus Bloodletter: You still here? Fight's over, kid. I gave you your friend's message, right? She's waiting. Get on back to Hoelbrak!
- Sure thing, Balteus. See you there.