Magic Find is both an account bonus and a character attribute that increases the chance to receive higher-quality loot from slain foes. With a couple of exceptions, it does not affect containers (including champion loot bags), chests, or any other source of loot.  The exceptions are:
- NPC loot containers received from reward tracks, which simulate loot drops from the named NPC.
- Divine Lucky Envelopes during Lunar New Year
- Heart of Thorns meta event participation containers.
There are two components of Magic Find: an account-wide bonus, which applies to all characters on the account, and a character-specific attribute.
- Primary article: achievement rewards
There are two ways to increase the account bonus for magic find.
- For every 500 achievement points earned on an account, a set of achievement rewards is unlocked that includes an increase to account bonuses. Magic Find receives a 1% increase starting at 500 and every 2,500 thereafter; an additional 1% is awarded starting at 5,000 and every 5,000 thereafter.
- Filling the Luck bar will increase Magic Find by 1%. The amount of Luck needed increases for each subsequent percentage point. Luck is gained by consuming Essences of Luck, which can be obtained by salvaging fine and masterwork equipment and Globs of Ectoplasm or received as a part of the login rewards system. A few achievements, such as Anomalous Results, also award Essences of Luck.
The Magic Find attribute is calculated based on the account bonus, luck, and temporary buffs.
|Achievement Rewards bonus||0-20%+||The upper limit for magic find from this source increases as more achievements are added to the game.|
|Magic Find Boost|| Magic Find Booster
Communal Boost Bonfire
Enchanted Reward Boost
|50%||1 h|| Obtaining the effect from multiple sources will stack duration.|
Kite Fortune version is randomly obtained and lasts 10 m.
|30% Magic Find Bonus||Laureate Magic Find Booster||30%||1 h|
|Celebration Bonus|| Birthday Booster
|100%|| 24 h
|Also boosts XP and gold from kills, karma, and WXP.|
|Guild upgrades and banners|
|Guild Item Research||Guild Magic Find||3-10%||24 h||Requires guild representation to purchase.|
|Guild Item Research||Guild Magic Find Banner||10%||30 m||Gained by interacting with the banner. Is overwritten by Guild Magic Find Banner Boost.|
|Guild Magic Find Banner Boost|| Guild Gold and Magic Find Banner
Guild Heroes Banner
|15%||30 m||Gained by interacting with the banner. Overwrites Guild Item Research.|
|World versus world|
|Guild Objective Aura VIII||Objective Aura 8: Magic Find||20%||All characters in the vicinity of a WvW objective of your realm claimed by the guild.|
|Outnumbered||Automatic||20%||Applied to all characters in a map when their world is greatly underrepresented on that map.|
|Magical Enrichment||20%||Must be attached to a enrichment slot on an ascended amulet equipped by the character.|
|Perseverance||30%||1 h||Gain one stack each time you complete an event in the Silverwastes, up to 5 stacks (+150% MF). Removed when you leave the instance. Applies to opening Lost Bandit Chests.|
|Hero of the Wastes||50%||Map change.||Successively defeat the Vinewrath within the Silverwastes. Earn Bonus Bandit Crests. Removed upon leaving map.|
|Call of the Mists||Automatic||100%||Earn increased rewards in PvP during community events! Applies while in Heart of the Mists or any PvP match.|
|Greater Call of the Mists||Automatic||200%||Earn increased rewards in PvP during World Tournament Series! Applies while in Heart of the Mists or any PvP match.|
|Mist War Summons||Automatic||50%||Applied to all characters during WvW special events.|
|Memories of Home||Automatic||15%||Applied to all characters during the Lunar New Year.|
Only 1 food effect can be active at a time. Where noted, the magic find bonus is only active while under the effect of a boon.
|Caramel Apple||3%||30 m||10||1|
|Candied Apple||3%||45 m||5||1|
|Onion Ring||4%||15 m||0|
|Bowl of Apple Sauce||4%||30 m||0|
|Cinnamon Apple||4%||30 m||0|
|Blueberry Tart||4%||30 m||5|
|Meat Pie||4%||30 m||5|
|Eggs Beetletun||4%||60 m||0|
|Chocolate Banana||7%||30 m||15||1|
|Strawberries and Biscuits||10%||30 m||15|
|Lemon Bar||10%||30 m||20|
|Strawberry Tart||10%||30 m||20|
|Clam Cake||10%||30 m||25|
|Candy Corn Cake||10%||45 m||20|
|Strawberry Ghost||10%||45 m||25||1|
|Birthday Blaster||15%||10 m||0|| +40 to all attributes
|Yam Fritter||18%||30 m||30||+40 condition damage|
|Cherry Tart||18%||30 m||35||+40 power|
|Cherry Almond Bar||18%||30 m||40||+10% gold find|
|Piece of Candy Corn Almond Brittle||18%||45 m||45||+10% gold find|
|Chickpea Fritter||22%||30 m||50||+50 condition damage|
|Orange Coconut Bar||22%||30 m||50||+20% gold find|
|Ginger Pear Tart||22%||30 m||50||+50 power|
|Glazed Pear Tart||22%||45 m||55||+50 power|
|Chocolate Cherry||24%||30 m||30||+6% boon duration||1|
|Eggplant Fritter||26%||30 m||60||+60 condition damage|
|Peach Tart||26%||30 m||70||+60 power|
|Raspberry Peach Bar||26%||30 m||70||+30% gold find|
|Glazed Peach Tart||26%||45 m||75||+60 power|
|Chocolate Orange||28%||30 m||45||+10% boon duration||1|
|Dragonfly Cupcake||30%||20 m||80||+70 power|
|Cup of Lotus Fries||30%||30 m||80||+70 condition damage|
|Omnomberry Bar||30%||30 m||80||+40% gold find|
|Omnomberry Tart||30%||30 m||80||+70 power|
|Peppermint Omnomberry Bar||30%||30 m||80|| +40% gold find
|Spicy Pumpkin Cookie||30%||45 m||80||+70 condition damage|
|Chocolate Raspberry Cream||32%||30 m||65||+14% boon duration||1|
|Chocolate Omnomberry Cream||40%||30 m||80||+20% boon duration||1|
Maximizing magic find
The following persistent bonuses can be combined to maximize a character's personal magic find. This does not include location or time-specific bonuses bonuses such as Perseverance, Call of the Mists, or Memories of Home.
|Magic Find Boost||50%|
|30% Magic Find Bonus (no longer available)||30%|
|Guild Item Research||10%|
|Guild Magic Find Banner Boost||15%|
|Ascended amulet with Magical Enrichment||20%|
|Food nourishment: Chocolate Omnomberry Cream||40%||While under the effects of a boon.|
- Perseverance gives a magic find bonus different than regular magic find when opening Lost Bandit Chests. It is currently unknown if regular magic find also has an effect on opening Lost Bandit Chests.
- A Q&A session with Isiah Cartwright revealed the way Magic Find works: "Everytime you kill a monster you roll on a number of tables, inside these tables are different rarity categories. Magic find increases the chances you will get higher categories. For example if there is a 1 in 10 category, and you have 200% magic find you will have 3/10 chances to get that category. This improves not just the rarity of the items you get but can also improve your chances at getting trophies and rare crafting materials like lodestones."
- ^ Isiah Cartwright on Magic Find and Chests, Guild Wars 2 Forum
- ^ Isiah Cartwright on Magic Find and the Mystic Forge, Guild Wars 2 Forum
- ^ Ready Up Episode 9 @ 27:40
- ^ Forum posts by Hugh Norfolk
- ^ Ryan Diederich says hero panel can't display some conditional bonuses, Guild Wars 2 Forum