I will read this scroll, fully knowing the consequences. Orr will be gone. Perhaps forgotten. But it will not be remembered as a land conquered by brutes. To me, that is worth the sacrifice.
Vizier Khilbron was an Orrian vizier during the reign of King Reza. After being converted to the faith of the fallen god Abaddon and facing an invasion of Orr from the charr, he caused the Cataclysm which sunk the kingdom. Khilbron later returned as the Undead Lich and intended to become the Flameseeker to fulfill Glint's Flameseeker Prophecies as he made preparations for Abaddon's coming, only to be defeated atop the Ring of Fire Bloodstone and later in the Realm of Torment. Khilbron's legacy continues to be controversial in the present day as scholars argue about whether his actions in Orr were justified or not.
Vizier of Orr
Khilbron was a vizier in the Kingdom of Orr during the reign of King Reza. Although the vizier was the king's trusted advisor and loyal to him, he was converted to the faith of the fallen god Abaddon by Razakel, Abaddon's demonic servant who was disguised as the Orrian citizen Terick, and had a mural of the god decorating the interior of his tower. While King Reza had sent Orrian troops abroad as peacemakers to stop the fighting between guilds in Ascalon and Kryta during the later years of the Third Guild War, Orr was left vulnerable to an invasion by the charr army which had been using the guilds' infighting as an opportunity to assault the divided human kingdoms with the powers bestowed upon them by a handful of titans whom they viewed as gods.
In 1071 AE, the charr led by Imperator Ventus successfully invaded Orr and were close to storming the gates of the capital Arah. In order to save his nation from conquest, Khilbron entered the restricted vaults of Arah to acquire the Lost Scrolls which contained powerful magic while telling some Orrians that he was going to cast a spell to defeat the charr. The vizier retreated to his tower while having a contingent of soldiers to protect him and the tower from the approaching invaders.
While alone in his study, the vizier wrote a letter to King Reza in which he explained the reasons for his actions and hoped for the king's forgiveness, before he invoked the words of the scrolls to cause the Cataclysm which annihilated the charr invasion force but also plunged Orr beneath the waves. Some of the Orrians who had heard of Khilbron's plan realized the vizier's ties to Abaddon's banned religion when they discovered forbidden books in his quarters, but they were unable to stop him before he cast the spell.
Khilbron survived the Cataclysm of Orr, however, and returned as the Undead Lich to carry out Abaddon's will. Having learned of the dragon Glint's Flameseeker Prophecies foretelling a future that was to come to pass, Khilbron likened himself to the prophecy's eponymous Flameseeker who would prevail over his opposition, not realizing that Glint had deliberately concealed the last verse regarding the ultimate fate of the Flameseeker. In order to pave the way for Abaddon's return, the fallen vizier sought out to fulfill the prophecy by opening the Door of Komalie in the Ring of Fire to unleash the majority of the titan army to wreak havoc upon Tyria.
However, Khilbron had also learned that the mursaat, an ancient and powerful race of spellcasters, had returned to Tyria with their own plans of domination. As the Unseen Gods, the mursaat had been using the White Mantle cult to carry out sacrifices of magically potent humans known as the Chosen atop the Maguuma Bloodstone to keep the Door of Komalie shut and prevent Glint's prophecy of titans escaping and killing the mursaat from coming true. In order for Abaddon's ambitions to be realized, Khilbron resolved to get rid of the mursaat opposition and began seeking out a means to accomplish it.
As he ventured into the world to find potential pawns for his scheme in 1072 AE, the Undead Lich disguised himself in his former human form and presented himself as Vizier Khilbron, a survivor from the Cataclysm. He struck a bargain with Evennia and the Shining Blade who opposed the White Mantle: in exchange for the Scepter of Orr which the White Mantle had stolen, he would offer his magical assistance to the rebels. After receiving the scepter from the Chosen heroes who had joined the rebel cause, Khilbron revealed that Markis, one of the high-ranking Shining Blade, was a White Mantle spy who had betrayed the rebels. The vizier raised undead and a ship from the depths to aid the Chosen in their escape from the White Mantle to the Crystal Desert, claiming that the Scepter of Orr granted him power over the dead.
Khilbron offered counsel and magical help to the Chosen during their journey. He suggested that they attempt to ascend in order to gain the gift of True Sight with which they could see the invisible mursaat and take the fight to them and the White Mantle, and find Glint so she could help them in their quest. Following the party's return to Tyria and assisting King Jalis Ironhammer's Deldrimor dwarves in the battle of Thunderhead Keep against the Stone Summit and the White Mantle, the vizier sent the Chosen and a dwarven squad led by King Jalis's brother Brechnar Ironhammer through a portal to Abaddon's Mouth in the Ring of Fire where Brechnar and the dwarves gave their lives to help the Chosen pass through mursaat defenses. In the aftermath, Khilbron cremated Brechnar's body while the Chosen uttered a prayer for the brave dwarf's soul.
While the Chosen were busy fighting the mursaat, Khilbron discreetly raised Prince Rurik, their ally who had fallen in battle against the Stone Summit in the Shiverpeak Mountains, as his undead servant and brought him to the Ring of Fire without the rest of the party knowing about his plans. As the Door of Komalie was opened and the titans poured out, the vizier finally shed his human disguise and revealed his true lich form and ambitions while using the Scepter of Orr to command the titans. The Undead Lich made the Chosen fight the undead Rurik while leaving to direct the titan assault. However, the Chosen defeated Rurik and, remembering the fallen prince's last words of advice, cornered Khilbron atop the Ring of Fire Bloodstone. They used the lich's spirit to recharge the soul batteries which closed the Door of Komalie, fulfilling the Flameseeker Prophecies as Glint had foreseen.
Despite his demise on Tyria, Khilbron lived on as a spirit in the Mists. As Abaddon had his servants unleash Nightfall in Elona to prepare for his coming in 1075 AE, Khilbron and fellow Abaddon acolyte Shiro Tagachi stood in wait in the Realm of Torment where they confronted the heroes who had come to stop Abaddon's plans. After a fierce clash, the spirits of both Khilbron and Shiro were vanquished, ending the threat of the Undead Lich once and for all.
In the centuries since his demise, Vizier Khilbron continues being a controversial figure in the history of Tyria. Books have been written about him, and scholars of the Durmand Priory debate whether him sinking Orr was a justified action or not.
In 1331 AE, explorers found Khilbron's unsent letter to King Reza at the Vizier's Tower which the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik's actions in the Mists had displaced from time and space as an anomaly. The letter shed light on the vizier's actions and his conflicted feelings over invoking the Lost Scrolls, showing that he had been just as loyal to Reza as he ultimately had been to Abaddon.
- The Vizier's Tower and its time-torn counterpart, the Displaced Vizier's Tower, were owned by Vizier Khilbron.
- Vizier's Tower is a constellation named after this tower.
- Incinerator I: The Experimental Dagger: Orrian Building Materials — Gather a sample of the materials used by the ancient Orrians from the altar in the Vizier's Tower in Straits of Devastation.
- Kamohoali'i Kotaki III: Carcharias: Vizier's Plunge — Dive into the water using diving goggles near the Vizier's Tower in Straits of Devastation.
- The Flameseeker Prophecies I: The Experimental Shield: The Flameseeker — Bring an Anthology of Villains to examine the Broken Mursaat statue at the top of the Vizier's Tower in the Straits of Devastation.
- The Minstrel III: The Bard: Vizier's Performance — Perform a Flip using the Vizier's Tower diving goggles in Straits of Devastation.
- Twilight I: The Experimental Nightsword: Orr's Fall — Visit the Vizier's Tower, where the fall of Orr originated, and loot this from the chest there.
- Associated items
- ^ a b Book (The Vizier's Tower)
- ^ Extinguished: The Rise and Fall of the Flame Legion, Vol. 3
- ^ a b c Message from Vizier Khilbron
- ^ Escape from the Torment
- Terick: I'd like to thank you for bringing me this far. I admit I was skeptical you would be so willingly led to your own deaths, but your generosity is your downfall. Your presence here is an affront to my lord, Abaddon! Just as simply as I used that foolish Vizier to wipe Orr from this world, I will use this vessel to eliminate you!
- ^ Blueprint of the Fall
- Terick: Abaddon wished for the destruction of Arah. Like the foolish Charr, the people of Orr were nothing more than a means to an end. There is no further use for you!
- ^ Orrian History Scrolls: A Land of Kings
- ^ Quiz Terminal
- ^ Cathedral of Silence
- Keeper of the Shrine: The charr are at the doorstep of Orr. They plan to sear our nation as they did Ascalon.
- Keeper of the Shrine: Vizier Khilbron says he can defeat them, but we must prepare for the worst.
- ^ Displaced Towers ambient dialogue
- ^ A Light in the Darkness
- Trahearne: Where was I? Oh, yes. The Guild Wars. Still angry over the loss of Ascalon, the charr struck hard while humanity fought with itself.
- Trahearne: The charr ravaged Ascalon with searing cauldrons and marched on Orr.
- Trahearne: As hope failed, an Orrian named Vizier Khilbron read the Lost Scrolls and unleashed an ancient curse.
- Trahearne: The curse annihilated the charr army, but it destroyed Orr as well. A cataclysm plunged the nation into the ocean. Everything was lost.
- ^ Faded Memory
- Wandering Soul: The Vizier of Orr had a plan. A magic that would kill the Charr...
- Wandering Soul: No wait! We discovered that the Vizier had been corrupted by the God of Secrets! We found the forbidden books in his quarters! It's coming back to me now.
- Wandering Soul: The Vizier was a traitor! Too late, Orr was lost to Abaddon! Pain, suffering... why must the memories sear me like it was only yesterday?
- ^ Blade Operative Paulina
- ^ Riverside Province
- <Character name>: I thought the point of stealing the Scepter was to keep it from the Mantle.
- <Character name>: How are we going to use it?
- Evennia: We can't, but Vizier Khilbron can.
- Evennia: I negotiated a treaty with the former adviser to the King of Orr.
- Evennia: In exchange for the Scepter, the good vizier has agreed to aid us in our fight against the Mantle.
- <Character name>: Vizier Khilbron? What can one man do for us that we can't do for ourselves?
- Evennia: The Vizier is a very powerful mage. He can show us the path that will lead to our victory.
- ^ Sanctum Cay
- Vizier Khilbron: There is a traitor in your midst, one of the Shining Blade's own Inner Council.
- <Character name>: What? Who?
- Vizier Khilbron: I believe you know him by the name Markis.
- Vizier Khilbron: He masquerades as your friend and confidant, but he is instead a White Mantle infiltrator. [...]
- Vizier Khilbron: I can summon from the deep a ship that can carry us from this place.
- Vizier Khilbron: Make for the beach. Meet me at the dock, and I will perform the necessary ritual.
- <Character name>: There must be half of the White Mantle army between us and the beach!
- Vizier Khilbron: Then you will need some help.
- Vizier Khilbron: Do not fear the walking dead. Through the Scepter they obey my commands. [...]
- Vizier Khilbron: Do not be so sure. There is still a way to beat the White Mantle.
- Vizier Khilbron: Venture to the Crystal Desert and Ascend. Only then will you be powerful enough to take on the rest of the White Mantle and their unseen gods.
- <Character name>: What must we do?
- Vizier Khilbron: Find the prophet, and claim the gift of True Sight.
- <Character name>: What?
- Vizier Khilbron: That's right. You are all Chosen.
- Vizier Khilbron: And now you must venture through the desert. Prove yourselves worthy and claim your birthright.
- ^ Ring of Fire
- Vizier Khilbron: Do not grieve for the fallen. They have passed into the next life.
- Vizier Khilbron: Somewhere in the Rift, deep within the Great Forge, Brechnar Ironhammer begins his long journey to the Hall of Heroes.
- <Character name>: Gods speed you on your journey, brave Dwarf.
- <Character name>: May the heroes of old call out your name when you join their company.
- ^ Hell's Precipice
- Undead Rurik: Kill the Lich while he stands atop the Bloodstone inside the caldera.
- Undead Rurik: If you do this, his spirit will recharge the soul batteries, and the Door will be closed again.
- Undead Rurik: You have served Ascalon well. I beg of you...do one last duty for your prince.
- <Character name>: Anything, my prince.
- Undead Rurik: End my misery. Release me from the Lich's spell. [...]
- Glint: Long into the Season of the Scion, Tyria is revived again.
- Glint: Over the bones of the bird of prey, the fire is put out and the diabolic gathering is closed off once again.
- Glint: The Flameseeker Prophecies are now complete.
- ^ Gate of Madness
- Undead Lich: You may well be impressed with yourselves to have made it this far. But, do not expect me to be as friendly as that Canthan bodyguard.
- Undead Lich: Your presence is an affront to this temple's Margonite worshipers. You shall be greeted with open claws and shown no remorse in their house.
- Undead Lich: In the unlikely event that you survive their wrath, I shall be waiting...
- Undead Lich: Did the Margonites wear you out? No? Good. We hoped you might have some strength left for us.
- Shiro Tagachi: You cannot stop Nightfall! Abaddon shall rule the world as the one and only, true god.