Create combos with other players' skills in combat. Some skills, like an elementalist's Flame Wall, create fields that cause projectiles shot through them to deal additional burning damage. Check your skills to see your combo fields and combo finishers.
— Combat Combinations
Combos, also called skill combinations, happen when skills interact with each other to create an additional effect. A skill must be a combo field or a combo finisher to be combined, which is an effect that is included in the skill description. For a combo to occur a combo field skill is used creating an area effect and then one or more combo finishers can interact with the field to create a combo. The largest number of combos are available through two characters of different professions working together but combos can also be created with two of the same profession or a single character. Only 5 unique combatants can combo with a given combo field.
- The combo field or initiator is a skill that creates an area effect of a particular type. The type is a recognizable element or characteristic that determines the effect they cause on a finisher; for example, a Flamewall will allow some eligible finishers to inflict burning. The relevant skills will interact so long as the finisher passes through the combo field at any point; for example, a projectile finisher will combo with a field so long as it passes through the field on the way to the target.
- The combo finisher is a skill that causes movement through or within the initiator's field such as creating a projectile or spinning or performing a leap. An eligible initiator augments the finisher by adding damage or creating other effects. For example, using Cyclone Axe near a Flamewall throws fire projectiles in different directions. Finishers can only interact with one initiator at a time. The finisher will trigger on the earliest entered initiator; a blast finisher will give Might instead of Healing if a water field overlaps an existing fire field and the fire field was entered earlier than the water field.
The four types of finishers each apply their effects differently:
- Blast finishers apply their effect to all foes or allies in the area where the blast occurred with radius 360.
- Leap finishers apply their effect either to the target foe or to yourself.
- Projectile finishers apply their effect either to the target foe or to allies within 240 radius of the target.
- Whirl finishers cause multiple projectiles to be launched in random directions.
When applicable, the stats of the character that activated the finisher are used to calculate the combo effects. This is most relevant to combos that inflict damaging conditions, as well as the healing effects of water fields. The field pages contain more information on the strength of the combo effects.
|Field||Blast finisher||Leap finisher||Projectile finisher||Whirl finisher||Fields available to professions|
|Dark||Area Blindness (3 s)||Dark Aura (5 s)||Life stealing||Leeching Bolts|
|Ethereal||Area Chaos Aura (3 s)||Chaos Aura (5 s)||Confusion (5 s)||Confounding Bolts (5 s)|
|Fire||Area Might (x3, 20 s)||Fire Aura (5 s)||Burning (1 s)||Burning Bolts (1 s)|
|Ice||Area Frost Aura (3 s)||Frost Aura (5 s)||Chilled (1 s)||Chilling Bolts (1 s)|
|Light||Area Condition Cleanse||Light Aura (5 s)||Remove Condition||Cleansing Bolts|
|Lightning||Area Swiftness (10 s)||Dazing Strike (1 s)||Vulnerability (x2, 5 s)||Brutal Bolts (x2, 5 s)|
|Poison||Area Weakness (3 s)||Weakness (8 s)||Poisoned (2 s)||Poison Bolts (2 s)|
|Smoke||Area Stealth (3 s)||Stealth (3 s)||Blindness (3 s)||Blinding Bolts (3 s)|
|Water||Area Healing||Healing||Regeneration (2 s)||Healing Bolts (2 s)|
Some projectile finishers (most skills in the first slot of the skill bar as well as multiple projectile skills) only grant a 20% chance of applying the effect for each projectile; this is usually noted on the tooltip for the skill. One exception to this is the Revenant's Hammer two hand auto attack, as it has a 1 second skill use for a 100% chance of combo finisher (projectile).
Combo skills by profession
Each profession has a number of skills that they can use to generate combos fields and finishers.
- Table of guardian combo skills
- Table of revenant combo skills
- Table of warrior combo skills
- Table of engineer combo skills
- Table of ranger combo skills
- Table of thief combo skills
- Table of elementalist combo skills
- Table of mesmer combo skills
- Table of necromancer combo skills
- Table of common combo skills
When a combo is successfully executed, either character participating in the combo will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender:
|Asura|| Such synergy!
Compounding our powers!
A clever combination!
| Ah, synergy is beautiful!|
Combine and compound!
A powerful combination!
|Charr|| Did you see that? Tell me you saw that!
Nice and lethal.
I make a pretty good team.
| Now that's a combo!|
Now that's teamwork!
Lethal, efficient, excellent!
|Human|| Nice, very nice!
Now that's a combo!
I make a pretty good team.
| That was impressive!|
Lethal combination, I like it!
|Norn|| I've found a new way to win!
A potent combination!
| The spirits should be impressed!|
Do you see? I did that.
|Sylvari|| Ho... Did you see that?
I make a pretty good team!
A splendid combination!
| Glorious combination of skill!|
Beautiful blend of talents!
A wonderful combination!
A skill that provides a combo field can sometimes inflict a certain type of condition damage. If you use two different types of these combo fields on top of each other in quick succession, they will inflict their respective conditions at the same time. However, if you perform a blast finisher on top, it will only provide the effect of the first combo field used.