Help the quaggan pastkeeper prepare to defend the village.
- Meet Shashoo near Theign Kenning.
- Escort Pastkeeper Oldoo to the jotun place of power.
- Defend the ritual site from attacking jotun.
- Assist with the ritual.
- Protect Pastkeeper Oldoo as he completes the ritual.
- Confirm the results of the ritual.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- One of the following: Commando's Hauberk, Outrider's Armor, Trooper's Armor
- One of the following: Commando's Jacket, Outrider's Vest, Trooper's Jerkin
- One of the following: Commando's Coat, Outrider's Coat, Trooper's Coat
Travel up the hill, killing Jotun along the way. Move slowly, pulling Jotun to the party singly or in twos.
Defeat several waves of Jotun at the stones of power.
Protect the Pastkeeper from waves of Ice Imps as he performs the ritual. The Ice Imps are fragile, but hit hard. The final wave contains a Veteran Ice Imp, which can periodically become invulnerable, spawning lesser Ice Imps and an altar that must be destroyed before the boss can be attacked again. Shashoo and your mentor will assist in the fights; however, the Pastkeeper is absorbed in the ritual and cannot assist.
When all enemies are defeated and the ritual is complete, watch the cutscene, which ends the mission.
Speaking to your mentor:
- Magister Sieran: I am sooOOoo looking forward to meeting the pastkeeper! When Falooaloo is safe, I plan to sit him down and make him tell me everything he knows.
- As long as it's after Falooaloo is safe.
- Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: A quaggan wise man, eh? Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? I mean, they're sharp and all, but you wouldn't know it from listening to them.
- They know things we don't. That makes them smart enough for me.
- Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: Step lively. We've got a mission to do and no time for distractions.
While approaching the two quaggans:
- Depending on Order:
- Magister Sieran: Hello, quaggan! If you're Pastkeeper Oldoo, Shashoo said you can help the village. We're here to help you cast your defensive ritual.
- Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: Pastkeeper Oldoo? Shashoo said you have magic that could protect the village. If you're the right quaggan for the job, we're here to help.
- Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: Are you Oldoo? We're from the Vigil. Shashoo said you can cast a protective spell on the village, and we're here to help you do it.
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: Quaggan is Oldoo. But quaggans need magical stones to fuel the ritual, and the stones are far to the north, lost to quaggans.
- Mentor: So, you can't cast the ritual after all?
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: No, quaggan can. The jotun have powerful stones that will do, but the jotun are foo who don't share with quaggans.
- (Priory) Character name: They're foo indeed. We'll take care of them. You concentrate on casting the spell.
- (Whispers) Character name: Leave the jotun to us. If they won't help, we'll convince them to lie down long enough for you to do your thing.
- (Vigil) Character name: We can fix that. Forgal and I are experts at convincing bad-tempered brutes to stand down.
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: Maybe quaggans will have a chance. Come. Quaggan will show you where to find the stones.
Speaking to your mentor:
- Magister Sieran: The tale of the jotuns is a sad one. They obsess about their former glory so much that it prevents them from lifting themselves up in the here and now.
- Sad, maybe, but they'd best keep out of our way.
- Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: Once upon a time, I'd have been looking forward to the challenge of making jotun behave. Now I just want them to back off and let us do our job.
- Don't worry. They will.
- Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: I've dealt with jotun before. They're bitter, mean, territorial, and violent. They also think the world owes them something now because they were a great power centuries ago.
- I just hope their stones still have power today.
Speaking to Shashoo:
- Shashoo: Foo! Climbing mountains is easier underwater. Especially when you float like quaggan does.
- Don't give up. We'll get there.
Speaking to Pastkeeper Oldoo:
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: Quaggan is looking forward to this—quaggan has wanted to investigate the jotun stones for a long time.
Have you ever cast this ritual before?
- No, but quaggan saw it cast and studied under the pastkeeper who cast it. It saved many lives when quaggan was little and living in the arctic.
- Good. Let's keep moving.
- Will the jotun stones really work?
Where is the ritual location?
- Where the jotun worship stones are—up at the top of the hill. And where the stones are, jotun are.
- We'll be ready.
- Your wait is over. Let's keep moving.
As you climb the hill and defend the stone area:
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: The stones are at the top of this mountain, but so are the jotun.
- Magister Sieran: Lead on, Pastkeeper. We're right behind you.
- Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: Keep going Oldoo. We'll make sure you get there in one piece.
- Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: Then that's where we need to be. Forward!
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: Boo on jotun! Foo on jotun! Jotun never share with quaggans. Hoarding power wastes power.
- Shashoo: Almost there! Coo!
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: Careful, careful! Jotun hate quaggans, and they never quit.
Following the defense against the Jotun:
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: Coo! Jotun stones will work. Ritual, too! Quaggan will make it happen.
- Shashoo: Quaggans are safe now. Boo on jotun! Is Pastkeeper Oldoo ready?
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: Ready to begin. These stones have power, but it will take time to channel it.
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: Quaggan just needs a few more--wait. What's that? Oah!
- Shashoo: Noooo! The stones are reacting poorly! The ritual is going to foo!
- Magister Sieran: Stay close to the pastkeeper, Shashoo. We'll protect you both while he completes the spell.
- Magister Sieran: Hang in there. Eventually, they'll run out of imps... right?
- Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: Stay close to the pastkeeper, Shashoo. We'll protect you both while he completes the spell.
- Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: More of them? This must be Imp Day.
- Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: Stay close to the pastkeeper, Shashoo. We'll protect you both while he completes the spell.
- Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: Pace yourself, youngster. Imps are stronger than they look, and we don't know how many we'll see.
- Shashoo: Pastkeeper, are you all right? Did the ritual work?
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: It worked beautifully. Quaggan has what quaggan needs to cast the ritual.
Speaking with your mentor after defending against the Jotun or while fighting the imps:
- Magister Sieran: This is unprecedented! Ancient quaggan rituals, powered by ancient jotun stones. You'd be hard pressed to find two more dissimilar races on Tyria, but here they are, working in concert.
- Alliances like this are the only way we're going to beat the dragons.
- Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: This is almost as big a disaster as I predicted. We're sitting ducks up here!
- Only until Oldoo finishes his preparations. Hang in there.
- Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: Dig in. Oldoo's ritual prep is why we're here, so we're not leaving until he's finished, no matter what the jotun or their stones throw at us.
- I'm here for as long as it takes.
Speaking with Shashoo after defending against the Jotun or while fighting the imps:
- Shashoo: Quaggan does not like jotun or their stones. But if the stones' power can help defend Falooaloo, quaggan will not give up.
- That's the spirit.
Dialogue after defeating all the enemies:
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: Quaggan is imbued with magical power! Oho! Now quaggan can protect the village!
- Magister Sieran: Glad to hear it. And with the Priory's best backing you up, we're as ready as we can be.
- Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: Glad to hear it. And with two of the best field agents around backing you up, we're as ready as we can be.
- Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: Glad to hear it. And with the Vigils top personnel backing you up, we're as ready as we can be.
- Shashoo: Quaggan will accompany Pastkeeper Oldoo back to Falooaloo and help him prepare the ritual.
- Magister Sieran: Sounds good. We'll meet you there.
- Magister Sieran: I look at these creatures, and I think of my home in the Grove. What would I be willing to do if something threatened it?
- Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: Outstanding. We'll meet you there.
- Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: Look at 'em, sticking by each other no matter what. I wish...I mean, my old warband...ah, never mind.
- Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: Good. We'll meet you there.
- Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: Those creatures are certainly stubborn. Dedicated, I mean. I may not like 'em, but I can admire that.
Speaking to your mentor after completing the story step:
- Magister Sieran: This is definitely one for the archives. Gixx will be so jealous he missed this—especially when I recount every last phase of the ritual in excruciating detail. Now, back to Falooaloo!
I wonder how the jotun of today felt so far.
- Some histories describe them as heroes who bravely gave their all the last time the dragons rose, and never recovered. Let's make sure history doesn't repeat itself.
- No argument here.
Gixx really should give you the credit you deserve more often.
- Tell him that! But the truth is, if Gixx were more friendly, he wouldn't be as effective. Or at least that's what he says.
- Forget him. Right now Falooaloo needs our help.
Where we're going to smash the icebrood to pieces.
- I like your confidence, but the battle's not won yet. Let's win the fight, save the quaggans, and then crow to our heart's content.
- Deal. Let's go.
- I'll meet you there.
- Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: Another victory for you-know-who's latest and greatest field agents. Those jotun were tough, but they can't stop us from protecting Falooaloo.
Weren't they a great power once?
- Long ago, yes. But they couldn't agree on a single leader, so they turned on each other. Generations of civil war reduced them to the brutes we see today.
- We'll make sure the quaggan have a brighter future.
With you as my partner, nothing can stop us.
- Flattery, eh? I'll allow it this time, because you're still pretty new, and because you're absolutely right. Now, come on. Falooaloo's waiting.
- Right. Let's go.
And the icebrood won't fare any better than the jotun or the imps.
- Don't get cocky. The icebrood represent the most dangerous threat Tyria has ever faced. And we need to stop it right here, right now.
- We will. See you back at the village.
- Well said. Let's move out.
- Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: I knew the jotun revered these stones, but I didn't know how powerful they could be. Oldoo should have all the magic he needs now. Let's get back to Falooaloo.
If the stones are so powerful, why did the jotun fall?
- I've heard many tales, but if you ask me, they destroyed themselves. They were too greedy and bloodthirsty and proud not to turn on each other.
- Sad. But that's a problem for another day. Let's go.
They're lucky to have you on the case.
- I see all that quaggan cooing and back-patting is starting to rub off on you. Stow the flattery and concentrate on completing the mission.
- I will. But you have got to learn how to take a compliment.
Right. We'll crush any icebrood that get past Oldoo's ritual.
- Especially now that we've got an edge. While Oldoo helps protect the quaggans and their eggs, we concentrate on fighting the icebrood. Let's move.
Speaking to Shashoo after completing the story step:
- Shashoo: Oho! Jotun and imps are no match for quaggan's new friends. Now Pastkeeper Oldoo can defend the village. Quaggan must hurry back now to help prepare.
- See you there.
Speaking to Pastkeeper Oldoo after completing the story step:
- Pastkeeper Oldoo: Boo! Quaggan was not ready for all those imps. But the preparations are complete, and quaggan is ready to defend Falooaloo's eggs.
So we're all done here?
- Yes. Quaggan's ritual ward will be even stronger, and so will the villagers of Falooaloo. Quaggan must hurry back. Quaggan has much to do.
- We'll meet you there.
- Glad we could help. We'll meet you back at the village.